Fiddle confusion!

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Fiddle confusion!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    PhatgrassmandyPhatgrassmandy
    Participant

So like I said in my introduction post. I inherited a German copy of a antonius stratavarius.. however you spell that.. I started looking for a new fiddle because I can’t find a luthier in my town.. after watching videos I figured out how to put sound post back up. I’m pretty sure I need a new bridge.. so I looked at some fiddles new but watched a video of a antique fiddle on fiddlerman that was the same as mine and it went for 4000$.. I just bought d Dario prelude strings and waiting on my shoulder rest.. I can tune and play the fiddle and it seems to be ok.. where should I get a new bridge and should I do that myself or ask someone who knows more about instruments then I do..after finding out that my fiddle is a pretty good fiddle to have I stopped shopping and trying to just make it perfect to me.. without a shoulder rest not very comfortable

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Sorry You do not have a Luther , I think Fiddleman can do it all for you , Call and talk to them !

Fiddlerman Violins

cricketcricket
    Participant

I think cutting a bridge takes some experience…I’d get somebody else to do that…then if you study closely what they did and read up on it, you might be comfortable trying it for yourself some other time…I don’t think I ever would though.

Participant

I think your right cricket!! I’ve looked a little bit into it.. can I post a pic here of my bridge here and see what y’all think

Participant

Steve.. my fiddle means so much to me.. I would be a wreck to ship it anywhere

cricketcricket
    Participant

You can post photos if you use that little icon on the text box that has a picture of a moutain and the sun.  Can you find any local luthiers close by?  We don’t have much in the way of fiddle luthiers here, I did finally find one to cut me a bridge one time after I bought a fiddle from a friend who’d found it in her neighborhood garbage …lol.  My husband was able to look at it and then watch few videos and read up and he can cut a bridge for me or adjust one now, but he has to re-read it all and all that because he hardly ever does it.  Ain’t an easy job.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

There are lots of videos on how to make a new bridge , That’s how I learned to make my own ! also if you try to work on a new bridge never mess with your original always start with a new blank because if it does not work out you will need to be able to go back to your original bridge , the feet of the bridge is very important they have to fit your violin top perfect and stand up proper on there own there are lots of violin tools you can buy from international violin ! I buy about three new bridges and experiment with them until success or failure then do it again if necessary until you secede ! After I finally got what I wonted for my violin then I made a few copies of  my favorite and one of the copies was better than my favorite ! small changes make a big difference ! look for the , Bridge foot fitter , and violin deluxe setup template and violin bridge thickness gauge ! then you’ll need sand paper !

https://www.internationalviolin.com/

• This reply was modified 4 days, 18 hours ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Mandy, if you’re not sure you want to dive into this quite yet, you can try a fitted bridge and see if it works for your fiddle. Click below for a link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010CBIK7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_Wu09EbNGYEJ8C

fishnfiddle1fishnfiddle1
    Participant

There is a lot more to bridge and soundpost fitting than what you describe.  Please take it to a luthier before doing your own work.  For example, the soundpost needs to be then right tension, and fit perfect to top and back.  The grain lines need to be perpendicular to the top spruce grain or it will eat thru the top.  Then the sp position has to be adjusted in relation to string length and bridge position.  Then there is the bridge blank to carve.  You remove 25 to 35 % of the wood before a bridge is complete, and in very specific places.  I have done this since 1989, do work for Shoji and other Branson show fiddlers, and several contest fiddlers, and I still find I have much to learn.  This is a lifetime of learning to do it right.  I am located in north central Arkansas if that helps.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Mandy, you would be amazed at how much better your fiddle will sound and play after a pro setup. There is probably a violin shop in a nearby town!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Fishnfiddle1 You are right there is a lot about the bridge and sound post a whole book worth including how to tune the bridge , I would love to know more about tuning the bridge , If you would share with me , I would dearly love to learn , I am somewhat hearing impaired , I have a hard time hearing the tap tones of the bridge ! Could you give me some  knowledge on the subject ? I have been learning through the internet , I am on a fixed income and if I don’t help myself It just isn’t going to happen , I am fairly happy with the bridge I have made for myself out of dozens of attempts , I also live in Northwest Arkansas , I would love to learn more ! There are not enough people that have the knowledge , I would love to know more ! Especially about tuning the bridge , I would like to think there would be a electronic tuner out there , but to the best of my knowledge there isn’t . Again My question could you give me some knowledge on tuning the bridge ???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.