Fiddle music in Cincinnati?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Fiddle music in Cincinnati?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I moved to Cincinnati for work at the end of October and my family joined me 2 days after Christmas. I went into a local violin makers shop to ask about fiddle clubs, old time / bluegrass gatherings, anything really….

nothin! He didn’t even like it that I used the word fiddle. Every time he would reply He said violin and you would have thought by his reaction that I just crawled out of my box out front of his store.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’m close to Cincinnati and I agree…nothin.  At least not much.  I don’t know about that side of the river, but if you cross over to KY side you could go to the big Bluegrass jam held every 4th Friday, starting at 5 and goes until about 9.  p.m, of course…lol…not 5 in the morning, ugh.  Anyway at the Willis Music Store in Florence you’ll find that jam on those nights…just one night a month.  It’s a huge jam, at least the biggest jam I ever saw.  If you like to jump in there with Bluegrass fans you might have a good time there.  If you go and see a very energetic banjo player with gray hair, his name is Barry, and I used to be in his band.  Tell him HI from Peggy and tell him I told you about the jam and you’re new around these parts and he is so friendly I’m sure he’ll help you get going at the Willis jams.  He knows of other big jams too, but I think they are farther away, maybe Indiana or somewhere.

I saw a Bluegrass jam advertised at the Willis in the Eastgate Mall, on up a little ways up 275 from Cincinnati…got my instruments and headed up that way…and I discovered that one was just performances in the mall, NOT a jam.  I sat there in the chairs watching some band and looking around to see if anybody else had instruments with them besides me, no…nobody…just an audience…so I never went back.  That was so boring for me I finally gathered up my instruments and went inside the store to fiddle around with the guitars for sale and then went on back home.

There is an Old Time jam I went to a few times.  It was downtown in Cincinnati at some old restaurant, then they moved.  I’m sorry, but I don’t remember where they moved to.  I didn’t like it because it just wasn’t my thing, even though I mainly see myself as Old Time.  Just wasn’t my thing, the way it all was, where you had to buy expensive yuppie food and watch the ONLY Old Time band in this whole region, and then finally when they’re done you get to join them…I just didn’t really like it.  If you do go to the Willis Bluegrass jam in FLorence, Ky that I mentioned above, there might be a fiddler there sometimes named Margie, she knows Barry the banjo player and might be hanging around with him, and she knows where the Old Time jam meets… tell her Peggy says HI and ask her about the Old Time jam and maybe you’ll like it.  I hope so.

Good luck finding anything…lol.  To me, according to my taste in music and in jamming, this area is a musical desert, sorry to say.  Just my opinion, though, a lot of people love what is here for them.  Hope you can find something you like.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Eddie you are right about the word fiddle and bluegrass and country music in general is not played in violin internet stores like Fiddleman or any I have found when they have videos to show off their violins/fiddles they always do classical stuff with lots of vibrato and bouncing the bow stuff , I personally would come closer to buying a violin after they played a beautiful waltz like , Over the waves , or Blue violet waltz

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Eddie –  <see below>

Go to page 18.  Lewis Center is only an hour away from Cincinnati !

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4de85f007156aa4cb17100abd/files/689b0ab9-9210-4944-bdcf-a6ddc8d58865/Oldtime_Central_Festival_Guide_2019.pdf

cricketcricket
    Participant

I looked on the map and that festival looks more like a couple of hours away, really.  I guess that’s not far for lots of people, maybe. But the one in Carter Co, The Fraley Festival in Olive Hill, looks like it might be just as close…closer for us, of course.  I’ve always planned on getting to that one, one of these years, but it’s still too far for me.  Half of my family comes from that area, maybe that’s why it seems easier to get to than the one up in Ohio closer to Columbus…lol…that seems like a foreign land…but thanks for the link…hopefully at least once in a year Eddie could get out and pick with some like-minded musicians!

I’ve been to the Vandalia one, one time…that’s not close either, but it was fun.  And I got to pick with Dwight Diller and John Morris!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by cricketcricket.
    Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

You are right, Cricket.  It is about 2+ hours away.

Hopefully, Eddie can get  some  info from the Festival List folks and get in contact with fiddlers playing in his area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.