Fiddle/Repair/Lutheirs/Shops

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Fiddle/Repair/Lutheirs/Shops

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by JBounds JBounds 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Can you believe where I live there are no Fiddle/Lutheir shops for a hundred miles from me here in southeast, Missouri?  I live right near the Arkansas border as well and nothing close at all in Arkansas.

I need a few repairs. I want to get my grandfather’s Fiddle fixed and I need to do a few things on one of my other fiddles too. I can’t be driving 2 hours away that’s crazy.

I don’t know what to do.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by JBounds JBounds.
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I’m surprised, especially down in your neck of the woods.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

No Luthiers, where I live, either… I’ve learned to do a lot, myself…

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I don’t think I can n fix a broken neck on my grandfather’s fiddle though. I mean I could try to learn to do it.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

Is it cracked, or actually detached, from the body, of the Fiddle? If you don’t mind me asking, John?

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Yes, it’s detached.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

A serious repair, best left to a Professional Luthier. I watched a series of videos, about building a Violin, on YouTube. The Neck is very carefully fitted, to the body, then wedged into the Slot…

With it being a family Heirloom, I would pay for a professional repair…with aspirations of being able to play it, again…

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Yeah. I guess at some point I will have to make  trip to St. Louis which is the closest repair places.  Will have to wait a little while though.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by JBounds JBounds.
    Joe
    Participant

How far are you from Monett, Mo? There is an older fellow there that is a fiddle maker and repairer. Also one at Cotter, Arkansas. I can get you their numbers if your interested.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I just looked and I’m I almost 4 hrs from Monett

And almost 3 hrs from Cotter, Ark

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I only know of one around here and he’s too expensive.  Good luck getting your grandfather’s fiddle fixed.

fishnfiddle1
    fishnfiddle1
    Participant

Really good advise not to reset the neck yourself.  The reset involves getting it centered, and the correct fingerboard height to project on the bridge.  Once you set it up wrong, fitting the bridge is a mess if not impossible.  Plus you must use hot hyde glue, not wood glue.  Wood glue is a form of plastic and just stretches under string tension until it lays down.  I’m the guy in Cotter.

fishnfiddle1
    fishnfiddle1
    Participant

I’m behind by 10 fiddles now, looking like January for new work.  I retired and love the fiddles, but fish and play with grandkids too.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I won’t do it myself. I may take a trip down your way FishnFiddle at a later time maybe in the Spring. I’m not in a real big hurry, but I hate that it’s broke like that.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

John…it might be cheaper and less time consuming to ship it down to fishnfiddle for an estimate of what it would take and how much it would cost. Or, even take some detailed pictures and send them to him for a rough evaluation…if both of you can work out the details and are open to these possibilities.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

That would be a good idea.

Joe
    Participant

Hey Larry (fishnfiddle) great article you put out in Oklahoma Fiddlers newsletter.

fishnfiddle1
    fishnfiddle1
    Participant

Thanks Joe, I will continue with more fun information each newsletter.

fishnfiddle cell phone # 918 688 9832 in case anyone has a specific question.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I will take you up on that soon. Maybe this weekend if you’re aren’t busy.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I’m feeling proud of myself. I fixed a peg that was slipping.  I thought for sure I was gonna mess things up but watched a video and it wasn’t hard to take my peg apart.  I cleaned it, gently used some sand paper on it to rough it up slightly and it fixed it.

Although it may only be a temporary fix. I need to replace it really

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.