Fiddle Tab Editing Software

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Fiddle Tab Editing Software

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Fayew3
    Participant

Happy Friday fiddle family! I hope today is great and this weekend will be filled with memories of those you love. AND music!

Does anyone have a tab editor software to recommend for MAC? I read music (church pianist for years) and I see and grasp the tabs for the fiddle, but my brain and fingers haven’t caught up yet when taking it from theory to practice. I’d like to create my own tabs, but I just can’t find a software to help me do it.

Any ideas? What do ya’ll do?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Faye I just use Johns Tablature , Sometimes the numbers are to small or the tablature is mixed with sheet music notation , So I just hand print it off on four line staff paper using black ink pen /ruler and make it large enough to see the Tablature and I am good , Its not pretty but gets the job done , It helps me if It is larger and easier to see , also tabs and notation mixed messes with me and its easy to get lost and takes up at least two pages and just doing tabs gets it down to one page , for me one page makes it easier ! LOL

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Tab|Edit for Mac. Suggested in my previous post(with links).  John uses it.

Fayew3
    Participant

Hi Steve, Oh! I didn’t see a blank one. I better go look. Thank you!

Fayew3
    Participant

Great Scott, Tab|Edit. I will also check that out.

I also saw online people do this:

——-1———

–3——–0—-

—————–

—————–

Have you seen this?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

There’s a free thing called Muse Score, I think…I have it on the big computer downstairs and haven’t done anything more but play around with it when I first got it.  But you can put notes on paper but I can’t remember if it has tab too…but you can print off notes, if you read notes.  There’s lots of free printable tab paper online too…again, sorry i don’t remember which one I’ve used…it’s on the big computer downstairs, but it wasn’t hard to find lots of free tab paper when i looked for it.  I used it quite a bit when we were first working on the opera.  That’s not the same as tab software, I realize, but possibly helpful to somebody, maybe.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I like TablEdit. You can create tabs manually but it’s time consuming.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Faye, if I am correct in understanding your last question, (regarding the numbers on the lines that you included with your question) yes, I have seen this.  Jason Kleinberg puts up a slightly different version on many of his Youtube instruction videos.  I also write my tabs like this when I want to convert notation to tabs.  I am still rather lost when it comes to the notes on the fingerboard.  However, I am okay when it comes to notation for piano.

Maybe I’m a complete retard, but I could never get my head around Tab|Edit.  As John said, it’s time consuming.  I have tried MuseScore, but can’t recall if you could create fiddle / mando tabs with it.  I found it much easier to move away from the ‘Technology’ and simply create my own tabs.  For instance, if I compose a ditty on the fiddle while traveling, I write t down in tab form as in the image below.  I hope I understood your question correctly.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Scott, that works as well! I immediately recognized the “Swallowtail Jig.” Nicely done!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thanks John, but I am not THAT talented.  The image is from Jason’s website;  so a big thank you to Jason for the example. It was easier for me to submit this image as an example because I had no other way of explaining how to write tabs like this.  I am both challenged and limited in accessibility to stuff while traveling, remember. I write my own tabs this way, minus the dashes between the note numbers.  🙂

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

I am not so technically gifted…

I just write my own Tabs, for songs, by hand…

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I use “Finale” and it is the absolute very best on the planet for writing musical scores and has a very well thought out tablature writing system.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

& it’s only $600…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

what Cricket said

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys, like i said before, there is a free program called muse score…i believe its similar to Freds software…i downloaded it a couple months ago or so but hvent gotten a chance to mess with it. cant do capital leetrs….holding sleeping foster puppy…lol

one hand typing.  anyway might wanna check out muse score.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

one of these days im gonna mess around with mine and see if i will like it for my own purposes.

https://musescore.org/en

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’m pretty sure musescore only allows guitar tab. There may be a way to tweak it, not sure. For $599.99 you can have fiddle tab, too. lol

If you don’t read music and don’t write music, I’m sure $600.00 bucks might seem expensive or unnecessary when simple tablature will do. I wanted a sophisticated system that I could create orchestral scores as well as tab for just about any instrument and Finale works beautifully.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Guess I will just have to learn how to read music , Someone could make a fortune if there was a program that auto transposed sheet music to any instrument , just simply copy and past sheet music , and choose tabs for violin or what ever ! Does Finale do that ??????????

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Muse score’s main function seems to be written musical notation…that’s why I got it…I was having to try to do some of that for some of my daughter’s projects and i thought it might make it easier.  I just ended up writing out the notes by hand, though, because i never did have the time to learn how to use the Muse Score.  It also has guitar tab, but mainly it’s for written out musical notation.  it’s very easy, because you can just use their midi key board and pop notes in by playing them…I just never had the chance to get it all down, but it looks pretty good.  there’s a series of videos explaining how to use all of the functions…it’s just a matter of scarcity of time for any learning curves at the moment for me, but I plan to learn it some day.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Steve, Finale allows cut and paste from any staff to another and will transpose any instrument to any other. You can move whole or parts of a piece to other places in the score, etc., etc.

The tab is absolutely second to none on the market. I wrote out the tab to forty banjo tunes including the written music on the top treble clef and the tab below with the fingering, rhythmic notation, and embellishments all included. I tried to put it on here but this site doesn’t seem to work that way.

Oh well, here’s a picture of the tab, etc.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well Fred, it has obviously worked out great for you, I gotta say, having heard your wonderful compositions and playing…of course, one thing we’re forgetting…Fred is a composer…lol…he’d probably do just as good with a number two pencil and a piece of notebook paper he scribbled extra lines on…lol…really.  Anyway, I’m guessin’ these kinds of programs would be helpful for anybody.  The price might not be so helpful, though…free sounds good, but hopefully it actually works ok…one of these days I might find out and I’ll let you know.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

You’re welcome, Steve.

Cricket, you’re right. One time I was up in my little log cabin I (illegally) built on state land 5 miles from any road whatsoever (where I used to deer hunt) and I had my old knock-around-fiddle there and composed the fiddle tune “Rock Cut Brook” on a cardboard box with a pencil.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s so cool, Fred!  If it’s just in there waiting to come out…I guess you really don’t need technology except to speed up the process.  Nice story!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in