Fiddle Tunes & Coffee

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Another good source for finding fiddle tunes that I really enjoy…Isaac Callender and his wife Louise Steinway did a year of traveling around playing tunes.

I just made the link to a tune i liked, but you can click on Isaac’s’ name on the Youtunbe Video to get to his channel for the rest of the videos.

FTC 2017 – 365 Days of Fiddle Tunes

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…I will look at this more closely later, with coffee! ¬†Thanks, Dave!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The Lonestar rag , cant wait to hear you do this one Dave !!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Great Site ! Great tunes !

Thanks for sharing ūüėź

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re welcome.

Steve, I have actually started working on it a bit, but it’s gonna be quite a while before I get that one down…big challenges

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I can tell this one is advanced , I wish you luck Dave , I am really wanting , but , dread  mastering  my first 25 tunes , I know once I get there , a whole new world will open up for me , So sadly I will stay bored with the same tunes until I reach the perfection these tunes deserve , then my next 25 should blossom a lot sooner , I hope to achieve My first 25 tunes to perfection this year of 2018 !

Angela
    Participant

Nice tip. These are good to learn from.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Steve, your braver than I…if I waited to get something perfect before learning a new tune I’d still be on my first one…I’d be totally confused trying to learn 4 songs at once, can’t even comprehend working on 25.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I think or feel like if I don’t fix the first 25 then I will just carry my broken habits over to the next 25 , If I persevere and stay the course then everything will be better after I fix what’s broken and its easier to fix something you can get through then something new , I might be thinking wrong big Question and don’t know for sure what’s best I am open for all advice and options ???

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Something to consider: If you had a “broken habit” on the first song didn’t you carry it over to the other 24?

Actually it’s easier in the long run to get it done right when learning it the first time as opposed to learning it “not well” and then having to go back and fix it.

We may just learn differently…I only learn a measure or two at a time. I get that down to where it is memorised, sounds fair, and the mechanics of it feel fairly natural…then I move to the next measure or so…when the second “lick” gets memorised etc. I put the two together and go over them until they fit together well before I move ahead.

Once I get a whole A or B Part down I will start the metronome and play to it, gradually increasing speed until I start messing up on one of the “licks”. Then I stop and work on just that lick some more until I can do it better…many times the extra work on a small section will make it become more easy for me to do than the ones that were easier before…so I always have a¬† variety in my practice because what is hardest for me is constantly changing. Then I’ll start leaning the next Part…

I do average about an hour/day just playing along with rhythm tracks of stuff I already know to keep it fresh…but it is more just playing than learning or improving anything…I spend far more time improving small sections of things.

I think the quickest road to¬† improvement comes through the more tedious aspects of playing…attentive repetition of¬†short phrases…but unless you can enjoy that aspect of things it can be hard and boring to do…I happen to thrive on the quick improvement of small sections of my music, so it works well for me…what works best for you may be different.

The biggest thing is to enjoy the journey and have fun with it…there is no make or break test upon completion…

Sorry for the long ramble…

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s good advice, Dave. I tend to learn the hard parts first with repetition of short phrases as well, then string them together.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Some REALLY  good advice here!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks to everyone , For me the wide array of tunes keeps me from boredom , I will try working problem runs into repetitions , can’t hurt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in