Fills and Improvision

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Nsam19 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Nsam19
    Participant

I’m not good at using fills and improvisation would anyone have any tabs or sheet music on fills, scales and improvising to make my music more fun please?

Any help on this would be appreciated

I usually like playing in keys of: C, D, G, F and A

Thanks

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi nage2019; Here’s a little video I made to help another member here. It’s in the key of E and just takes you through a basic fill in for a basic Bluegrass melody. It might help you, I’m not sure.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Nage,

This is a really good exercise by Fred.  I am working my way through this now. I asked Fred to do something in the key of E because I wanted to work in a closed position.

Megan Lynch Chowning has some videos on Fills and arpeggios that may help. https://www.youtube.com/user/fiddlemeganb

Go to her play list and then techniques to find the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvruFfgT7ss&list=PLFeFRoK-8HQNIEkuGaDwARvNsE37MUVu

Kenny

Angela
    Participant

There are a few discussions in the BGD forum about this, so if you search you may find some more guidance.  Dave has posted a few examples.

When I first started working on improv and fills, the two things that helped me the most:  learning the pentatonic scales and getting them in my muscle memory and learning the arpeggios.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

We traded several ideas here (the thread Andela suggested):

Arpeggios

Nsam19
    Participant

Thank you very much for everyone’s help I appreciate

Nsam19
    Participant

I know of some of the arpeggios but the problem is if i have to incorporate them in a song then I’m not too sure when or where

So would I just have to play when the chords change?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    Angela
    Participant

“fills” are called that because they fill in when the singer is not singing (mostly).  So, you would play in the gaps…usually at the end of phrases while the singer is taking a breath.

A good way to start is to play the note the singer is singing and then add the arpeggio in the chord or a little run up with the pentatonic scale.

Angela
    Participant

Dave demonstrates that on the forum he linked to above.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yep…that thread has a lot more than just arpeggios in it…I’d suggest reading through it.

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thanks much
    I’ve started going through it

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Just want to say hello.  The Arpeggio thread was really good for me.

I still work on the climbing double stops everyday.  I even try to pick out a scale at random – playing the double stops you gave me for that scale.  I still have to work on the patterns for E, F, B flat and B more than the others.  They’re not all memorized yet, but I am getting close.

I’m working toward being able to play the double stops by playing the 1, 4, and 5 chords to each key.   In other words if a song starts in the key of E, then I want to be able to play the double stops for E, A and B as an exercise.

I want to be able to play these without having to think about what pattern is coming next.

I haven’t moved to Angela’s suggestion of the pentatonic scale yet, but will try them soon.

Dave, even though we haven’t talked much lately I still think of you every day and the help you have given me. Thank you!

Kenny

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Hi Kenny! You’re welcome…glad I could be of some help and that you’re getting some use  out of what I presented to you.

Nsam19
    Participant

I’m  trying to play farther along in the key of C and D would anyone have a good lick to change from the key of C to D

And also a fill for when I’m done playing the chorus and starting to go into another verse?

THanks

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

there are lots of choices for the modulation…depends on what you want for length and how fancy you want it.

some possible ways to get there could include:

C, B, C, Db, D

C, Db, D

C, A, D

C, B, Bb, A, D

C, E, A, D

C, A, F, F#, D

and many more

these could be done as single notes or double stops or a combination.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

for the fill (in D) you might just do this…

all on two center strings

three quick intro notes

D, E, F#

then, (assuming 3/4 time signature) quarter note double-stops starting on first beat of next measure B/G,  A/F#,  A/E, And  A/D (three beats long)

You can hear this fill after the chorus done in C in this video @ 1:57

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Nsam19
    Participant

Thank you very much

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re welcome!

Nsam19
    Participant

For the D fill quick intro notes, can I just stike the bow or should I just play them quickly?

And are the following double stops with playing B then droning G, etc?

B/G,  A/F#,  A/E, And  A/D (three beats long)

Thanks

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

the quick notes I’d probably play with one bow stroke (preferably upstroke).

for B/G:  B is first finger (1H) on A string

/ stands for “over”

G is third finger (3L) on the D string.

the above makes up a G double-stop

The remaining DStops are played with an open A string drone and fingered on the D string.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thanks much

I’ll try using them

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.