Finger positions

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Finger positions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, brand new here, and on my phone so don’t seem to be able to search. I’ve watched the video posted under “Can’t reach the “G” string” as well..

I’m and very new to fiddle can’t even play a song yet kinda new.  However when trying finger positions my hand is so tense…I struggle  to reach anything on the “g” with my 4th finger… I also feel like I have to REALLY press down to change the note. Any tips?

cricketcricket
    Participant

I think getting your 4th finger to work well on the G string is hard for everybody.  One thing to make it easier might be to jut your wrist forward and out while attempting to reach with the 4th finger on any string.  It’s especially hard to do on the low string, however.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

It will come in time, a lot of songs seldom use the fourth finger on the G string , D, A, E are more often used for the fourth finger , Ashokan Farewell is a good tune for you , Example where only 2 places in the entire tune requires a fourth finger in the middle of the tune on the A string and the next to last note on the G string which is a 3H note could easily be done with the 3rd finger

Margaret’s Waltz beginner key of A , never use’s the fourth finger anywhere in the tune and no notes on the G string through out the entire tune !

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

If your violin has high string action where the E string is say 1/4 inch off the finger board next to the bridge and the G string being even higher , Then it’s going to be harder to press down and play , The lower the string height the easier to play but you lose some volume !

Participant

What I’m learning….and this might be incorrect… but it seems like whenever I want to play the G string (or the C for the 5 string fiddle); my left elbow has to be really intimate with my right hip. Feels like I have to be a contortionist to get it to do and I’m sore afterwards, but my hope is, with enough practice and exercises, maybe my left elbow/right hip will be just good friends and won’t inflict pain on one another….

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

If you Are keeping your violin level that makes it hard ! I play my violin leaning watch some of Johns videos to see his violin angle position ! You don’t have to play the lesson videos just look at the lesson video violin positions some of the lessons have other people showing everyone’s violin positions everyone’s violin is leaning at a angle some even have the scroll downward , Amelia Waltz lesson has pictures of five people violin positions , Silver Bells western style lesson shows pictures of John and his Daughter violin positions ! These pictures might help you in your struggle  !

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

I just came across the following exercise(s) to help strengthen 4th finger intonation(s).  It looks promising! Check it out 🙂

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Wrong video downloaded. Will try again .

Hope it works

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Rats! It won’t work :(.

Try this:

Go to Google (or youtube) and type :

Fourth finger intonation eric on fiddle youtube

and #7 of 9 free lessons should pop up.

Participant

I see this thread, and Rolyan putty comes to mind for strengthening muscles in your hand; it might make it easier to press down on the string.  I had to use this for months after a long hospitalization period in 2018/2019.  So much muscle strength was lost, it was amazing.  When I first picked up my violin again, I could hardly even reach the G string.  I try to work with the putty at least one or two times a week, and it seems to have helped me a bit.  I still have the soft yellow and medium green ones to work with, even though I probably don’t “need” it this far out from that point in time.

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-rolyan-fitness-putty.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.