Fingerboard Geography Videos

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Fingerboard Geography Videos

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi friends! 🙂

I have enclosed a couple of helpful videos for those who are trying to get acquainted with finger position = notes on the fingerboard. I hope you find these helpful.

HINT: Think of your fiddle’s fingerboard like a concertinaed piano keyboard!

Below are Diane Allen’s fingerboard charts. You may also like to check out the other link below these videos that has a list of some of her other videos on the topic. She is pretty dedicate to helping other violinists / fiddlers.

Fingerboard Geography — Part 1

Fingerboard Geography — Part 2

Suzuki Association of the Americas

https://suzukiassociation.org/discuss/6439/

And remember — it is all about having FUN! 🙂 🙂

Until next time!

Scott 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

DIANNE-O-MITE! Thank you Scott for these awesome videos! This seems to be a great resource for making that dreaded move from tablature to notation!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John, and welcome back! 🙂
    I found Diane’s lessons to be really good and so I thought I would share them here. I was recently reading a thread on another forum (I won’t say which one) where the people were saying that it is wrong to learn tablature and that people should always concentrate on learning to read notation. Personally, I think if someone can learn both tablature AND notation, then great! However, I think beginner fiddlers often pick up the gist of a tune quicker if they use tablature. I guess it is just a matter of horses for courses.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

They both have their uses, which is why I include both here at BluegrassDaddy. Notation is more universal, but can become a “crutch” if you don’t memorize the piece quickly. Tablature is more intuitive, a is a great way to quickly commit fiddle tunes to heart. There is a lot more notation out there than tablature, yet there is enough tablature out there, that if you just want to learn fiddle tunes, that is all you really need. Tablature is much easier to learn and understand, and can really do anything that notation can do. If you are playing parts in an orchestra, then of course you are going to need to learn notation. But if you just want to learn to fiddle and can find a good tablature library, I think that is the way to go.

Great ScottGreat Scott

John, I am glad you include both tabs and notation. I find the tablature easier to follow. I downloaded a piece of notation music from a music website recently, and when I compared it to the tablature of the same song and tried to play it on the keyboard, it was all wrong! Though, that may have just been me at 4 O’clock in the morning! LOL!

I recently came across a music-type program called TablEdit. Here is the link below if anyone is interested. It costs around $60.

http://www.tabledit.com/

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I use Tabledit to create my tablature. The author’s name is Keith Saturn, and he is a great guy. He recommended that I submit a tab for his “tab of the month” but I haven’t yet. I think that Tabledit is just about the best tab software out there.

Participant

Yep, TablEdit is what I have. The learning curve is about average but the software rocks! Anything you would want for a fiddle (or other stringed instrument) is there. I don’t think any other tab software even comes close to it. It makes it really easy to convert a noted piece to a tabbed piece. You can even export the piece to Sibelius if you have a mind to.

Diane’s Workbook Courses are really good for learning music theory. They run about $35-$40. Well worth the price.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.