Fitness Central — Boot Camp

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Fitness Central — Boot Camp

This topic contains 532 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 533 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Howdy folks! ¬† ūüôā ¬†¬†Welcome to Fitness Central and Boot Camp!

This is the place where you can post all your stuff about your weight loss as well as other lifestyle changing comments. ¬†The aim of this thread is to provide a place for those members who are serious about wanting to make some healthy changes to their lives and who are brave enough in making a commitment to both themselves and their loved one’s in becoming a healthier and happier fiddler. ¬†Coming to this thread and participating in the discussions here is¬†the first step on¬†your journey towards a healthier¬†you.

Here are a few of the things you can do here:

– Register your stats.
    – Update your weekly fitness report (weight loss and exercise report)
    – Share your progress.
    – Receive encouragement in helping you achieve your desired weight.
    – Ask questions regarding exercise and healthy eating.
    – Discuss your weight loss / fitness journey.
    – Share your experience — your trials and tribulations.
    – Talk fitness.
    – Swap healthy recipes.
    – Get tips for maintaining a healthier eating regime.
    and lots more!

So, jump on board and get underway to becoming trim, taught and fiddling TERRIFIC!!!

Addendum:  See below.

AGREEMENT:  Please read the following carefully.

By participating in Boot Camp, you agree to the following:

1) To make a GENUINE commitment in adopting and partaking in healthy lifestyle changes.

2) Strive to eat ONLY healthy food for ALL your daily food intake.

3) To gradually cut down on and then eliminate your dependencies on nicotine, alcohol, caffeine and any other substance or food(s) you are addicted to.

4) To adopt a safe DAILY exercise regime.

5) NOT to make excuses or inventive reasons to not exercise or eat healthy.

6) NOT to argue with the drill sergeant on issues related to food / exercise or any other matter.

7) NOT to post any counter-productive material of any kind that is in direct conflict to what the drill sergeant has posted.

8) Not to post any videos or links that relate to unhealthy food or fast food outlets / unhealthy restaurant food.

9) To support and encourage your fellow Boot Campers.

10) To speak about yourself in a POSITIVE manner.

11) To submit your weekly report (due every Friday) ON TIME with all the required fields filled in.

If you do NOT agree with the above guidelines for Boot Camp, then you may find that Boot Camp is not the place for you.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thank you, Scott. As you know, fitness is very near and dear to me. I love talking about the days when I was athletic. I have an old saying: “Sometimes, a ship does sail on yesterdays wind.” When I think about how fit and rambunctious I used to be, it fills my heart with pride and makes me want to tell others about it. “Have a seat,” I say. It usually takes a while for to tell about my days of glory, and it makes me uncomfortable when other people are standing.

But, let’s not get caught up in the yore of yesteryear, friends. What are we doing today? Today I decided to eat only dark chocolate. No more milk chocolate in this temple, no sir. Plus it is easier for me not to give in to Mr. Pippen because I know dark chocolate is bad for his nervous system. More updates to follow.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Here is how I have changed my eating. It is 5:00 PM and I have had a tangerine, a healthy salad of broccoli, spinach, pecans, and apples, and I have been drinking water laced with a tiny amount of blue Gatorade mix. Plus half a bar of Hershey’s dark chocolate. I am visiting a friend with a new baby this evening, and I am planning a light dinner of green beans and spaghetti casserole.

Contrast that with what I would have typically consumed today, and you would see a vast improvement! Less calories; better calories. I am feeling good about my attempted lifestyle change! I actually drove through a Bojangles parking lot today and had an inner struggle which the healthy John won. Usually unhealthy John wins those struggles, so I am feeling very good right now! If I can keep this up, I believe I will see some very positive changes. ūüôā

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

[quote=21086]Today I decided to eat only dark chocolate. No more milk chocolate[/quote]
    Yeeeeehaw , good one John !
    Walking up and down and up and down the mountain today making sugar sure did satisfy my me getting into shape me too. And not feeling guilty about the chocolate been I beer drinking at night trying to learn Candy Girl LOL.
    If we could loose weight the better we play fiddle now then John you would get the fittest the fastest :O)
    You look and sound great in the Candy girl video performance .
    I was curious about Great Scott and what he looked like ! Ha ha, just kidding, true though. Hope you are practicing Ashokan Scott :O)

:O)
    Gu

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great Scott made a video last year, from the shoulders down. He looked pretty fit for an 80 year old. If that really was Scott and not an impostor or hoax.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

[quote=21123]If that really was Scott and not an impostor or hoax.[/quote]

Alas, John. ¬†You caught me in a lie. ¬†I was fairly new here at the time I made those videos and so I wasn’t sure if I would be fully accepted because I was ¬†one or two pounds over my usual healthy weight. ¬†I got a slim friend to stand in for that video, and while he “lip-synced” the playing of the tune(s), I was at the other end of the room playing, and so it was me who your heard, not him.

But just think John, you are not far off from looking like me! ¬†Or should I say: I am not far off from looking like you! ¬† ¬†ūüôā

Way to go!!! …. Fatty!!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

[quote=21106]I was curious about Great Scott and what he looked like ![/quote]

Here I am at Mod Central happily doing my thing…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Scott, thanks for covering your face. Hideous!

OK progress report: Someone asked me today if I had lost some weight. Success!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Scotty, I have taken off a couple more lbs. I know I can vary that much each day.
    I eat nothing between meals at all! I knew you would be thrilled at my progress.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, slow down, buddy. Eat some milky ways. You can’t be all looking like a marine while I’m still smelling like a heavyweight. I thought we were doing this together!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Well I’m around 12lbs. lighter so far, You need to get on the ball. I hope to get back to about 165. ūüôā

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, I couldn’t imagine you at 165. That would be way too skinny!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John, my wife cooked a big dinner yesterday and I ate and ate, or should I say gorged!
    The fat goes on way faster than it comes off!

Where is Scott when I need him!!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’m still hanging steady at 215. Ten pounds is not enough! I have 25 to go to meet my target weight. As soon as I get over this cold I promise to hit the trails and drop some of this off.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Scott, I had a big supper yesterday. My wife cooked a very good meal and I ate to much. I have even stopped the cheese puffs at dads. Today will be different, I am even going to get some exercise!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, this is going too far. Exercise? That does it. I am going to exercise tomorrow. I am not going to have you outdoing me.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John, I got a real workout today. I drank a lot of water but I know that will leave me. I know I worked off yesterday’s dinner and more.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We work pretty hard but don’t work out…too doggone tired from all the work. ¬†I’ve lost it with my dieting efforts too…got too stressed out with everything, so I’m back at square one again! Getting nowhere! ¬†Have to try harder, I guess!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Hi Cricket, Funny the way you put that. Thats what I did yesterday was worked out,
    worked in the yard and helped the people next door seed their yard. Did a lot of sweating helping my dad work around his place. They say that kind of work doesn’t work for exercise. Tell my old body that, I can’t hardly move. My wife bought me a new recliner yesterday. We had to call in help to get it in the house after all that work.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Great Scott, I worked out yesterday all day and didn’t eat hardly anything. Jumped out of bed this morning jumped on the scales and and and crap, I didn’t lose any weight! My question to you, our guru of good health on BGD what happened?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rock, I’m convinced working hard hurts your body and working out helps. ¬†When we have worked out, the working hard part was easier on us. ¬†But seems like we’ve lost track because there are so many situations we are caught up helping with when have no time or energy left for thinking about what we eat or trying to muster up a healthful workout! ¬†But working will get you aching if you can’t find time to exercise…just in my opinion. ¬†Hope the recliner helps relax those muscles!

Justine
    Justine
    Participant

Take care of that cold, John. Actually take care of yourself by telling the cold to take off.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Yea but Cricket, those things gotta get done. I guess after a hard day of working around the house and yard I could do a few laps around the pool. You know swimming is really good exercise all I need is a swimming pool! I really don’t care for swimming though.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

yes, the work seems to never end!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

If yard work and house work is done the right way, it can be good exercise. You should burn around 250 calories per hour doing light housework. However, if you find you are just walking slowly, doing a lot of leaning over, or spending a lot of time on your knees, this is decidedly bad for you. Try this instead:

1) Create a 30 minute playlist of BGD fast tunes or jam tracks.

2) While vacuuming, flex those abdominal muscles and do some lunges. That is, put your left foot far out in front, then bend your left knee until your upper leg is horizontal. Your lower leg should still be vertical. Your right knee should come close to the floor. Switch legs!

3) Scrubbing the floor? Staying too long in one position is bad for you. Stretch out and do some planks! Roll over on a regular basis and do some leg raises.

4) Standing at the stove or sink? Do some calf-raises! Step back every few minutes and do some free squats.

5) Take deep breaths! You can burn a lot of calories by doing some deep diaphragm breathing. Plus it is good for your muscles and heart!

6) My favorite — triceps raises on the edge of a couch or chair. Slide off the front of a chair while keeping your hands on the edges of the seat, then do eight or ten raises. Don’t let your bum touch the floor!

7) Loading the dishwasher? Don’t bend over! Put them in one at a time by doing a full squat.

8) Working in the yard? Break up the repetitive motion by switching hand regularly. Continuously tense your abs. Stop every few minutes for some jumping jacks or running-in-place.

9) Taking out the garbage? Work those arms on the way to the curb!

10) You are finished with the house chores! Crank up the music and do some celebratory flat-footing!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John, that is a great idea. I hope you will have video.

Justine
    Justine
    Participant

I agree, Rock! John should make and sell a housework video just as he described. He’ll make a fortune!

I’m having a hard time reading this fitness thread just after reading Jackie’s description of what they eat at Lucy’s!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Yummy stuff for a fitness thread.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

[quote=21236]I promise to hit the trails and drop some of this off.[/quote]

This is where I put on my drill Sergeant’s stripes and give a bit of a dressing down. Sorry! It’s part of Boot Camp protocol:

You would make a great politician, John! Nothing but promises and more promises. And here I keep waiting and waiting and growing older as my dreams of seeing your complete metamorphosis are being blown away on the wind. All I’ve been hearing lately is “I promise I’m going to do this.” “I promise I’m going to do that.” People impress me the most when they talk about the things they are doing RIGHT NOW!!! They impress me the least and tire me completely when I hear people talking about what they are “GOING” to do and then come up with lame excuses as to why they “couldn’t” do it; excuses like: (In a whinny pathetic voice)… I’ve got a cold.” Or, “The weather isn’t right for my exercise!” Or “Someone made me a big meal and so I had to eat it!” So pathetic! Like my great, great, great toothless aunt Fanny always used to say every time I asked her why she never said very much… “Talk is cheap!

LESSON: This is Boot Camp, buddy! And if you want to stay on my good side and forgo those 200 extra push-ups, then tell me what you are DOING… right NOW, as far as exercising and eating properly and show me the progress.

THE BOTTOM LINE: You are a man, NOT a wimp… so stop making those pathetic excuses and OWN IT!!!!!

Now get into that kitchen and start peeling that 10 ton of potatoes! And I wanna hear a “YES! SIR! PEEL TEN TON OF POTATOES! SIR!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes Sir, Potatoes, Sir! And no comments about garlic buttered loaded smashed potatoes, Sir!

My only feeble excuse is I have been sick this week (sniffle) and couldn’t get outside because of all the rain (simper). But I promise… OK no promises but I will keep providing updates!

Rock seems to be losing weight too quickly. If he is to be believed. I have requested that when he dies, I get his tapeworm. At that point, you should see some satisfying results!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

[quote=21239]Today will be different, I am even going to get some exercise![/quote]

Private Rock, you are in BOOT CAMP now and I am the drill sergeant, so I will have to be tough on you just as I am with all the other recruits if you want results.

Like I said to your BOOT CAMP¬†buddy, Private John C: Tell me what you have either DONE or what you are presently DOING. Anything else is just GIRL talk!¬† ¬†Don’t tell me what you are “GOING” to do when you know good and well you have no intentions of doing it. “GOING” to get some exercise is not “DOING” exercise. Speak to me in either PAST tense or PRESENT tense. DO NOT… I repeat DO NOT insult me by speaking to me in FUTURE tense! Nothing infuriates me more than wimpy Privates thinking they can suck up to me by telling me what they are “GOING” to do! Just because some turtle head said it’s GOING to rain tomorrow doesn’t mean it’s gonna rain! Come to me soaking wet and standing in a typhoon¬†and THEN tell me it’s raining!

Give me 200 push-ups, NOW! ¬†Stop your whining and get on your fat blubbery belly! ¬†NOW, I said! ¬†1, 2, 3 4….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rock, good news — Scott and I just had our first workout together and it went great! I feel 10 pounds lighter already. He was actually very helpful and not at all as tough and mean as he seems on the internet. I had my mom video the workout so you will know what to expect.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Okay John and Rock, here’ what you need to do; ¬†Fill in the blank spaces by copying and pasting into a comments window and posting it here:

(Optional) Please list any past or current physical impairments that may limit you doing certain exercises:

1)  Height:

2) Waist measurement:

3) Outset weight (weight you started with before coming to Boot Camp)

4) Goal weight:

5) Amount of weight lost already:

6) The type of exercises you have been doing this week:

7) How often (times per day) you have been doing these exercises:

8) The kinds of HEALTHY food you have been eating:

9) The kinds of BAD food you wimped out on:

10) Confess if you have fallen off the wagon and WIMPED out by not being a REAL MAN by maintaining your SELF-CONTROL around BAD foods:

Then, do weekly updates every Friday.  I DO NOT want daily updates. And making excuses is simply pretend men playing with Barbie Dolls!

I want your progress reports submitted every FRIDAY.

During mid-week, you can talk about your trials and tribulations, but BE WARNED!… I want to hear MORE tribulations than trials! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR? I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you for posting that video, John. ¬†I had really bad breath that day so I hope it didn’t smell like poo poo when I was screaming in your face. ¬†I am not really all that bad, John! ¬†Your mom just picked a bad day to video me. ¬†I am usually more intimidating with sarcasm and giving the evil look as opposed to getting in someone’s face and screaming myself hoarse. ¬†In fact, I heard one of my recruits tell his buddy that I had a voice that was warm and delectable, like molten lava.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Haha! Great Scott, I copied and pasted what you put in your post. I am going to respond to each question. I really need to shape up. I just don’t know what I’m going to do with all those new close I had to buy. I was really glad to see your name this morning. Sorry for things I said back in time. ūüôā

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Not a problem, Rock!  Thank you.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Private Rock’s Initial Report. ¬†April 20, 2015

(Optional) Please list any past or current physical impairments.

1) Height:

5′ 7″

2)  Waist measurement:

3)  Outset weight:

195 lbs.

4) Goal weight:

165 lbs.

5) Weight  lost already:

10 lbs.

6) Kind of exercises you have been doing:

General yard work. Walking. Cleaning my turtle habitats. House work.

7) How often you have been doing them:

Since I started-4 or 5 times counting my dads work.

8) The kinds of HEALTHY food you have been eating.

Apples, a few banana’s and my wife and I are cooking more healthy. Nothing unhealthy.

Sugar in my coffee. I drink about 4 Mugs a day, two heaping spoons of sugar.

10) Confess if you have fallen off the wagon and WIMPED out by not being a REAL MAN by maintaining your SELF-CONTROL around BAD foods:

A couple of milky’s and I mean only a couple I did eat a few cheese puffs..

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Private John C’s Initial Report. ¬†April 20, 2015

(Optional) Please list any past or current physical impairments:

I ruptured a disc in 1994. It eventually dessicated and then my L4 and L5 vertebrae fused naturally. It was a painful process which left me with a bone spur pressing against my sciatic nerve. This can be painful, and has caused my left calf to be a little smaller than my right calf.

1) Height:

6’2″

2) Waist measurement:

42″

3) Outset weight:

230 lbs

4) Goal weight:

185 lbs

5) Weight lost already:

10 lbs

6) Kinds of exercises you have been doing:

Some walking, fiddling. I have this 35 lb weight in my office.

7) How often you have been doing them.

About twice a week walking, daily fiddling. I haven’t lifted the weight yet, but I did transport it from home to my office. A friend gave me a P90x video and I did about ten minutes of get-up, get-down, plank last week.

8) The kinds of HEALTHY food you have been eating:

Salads, boiled eggs, drinking more water.

Yesterday I got a slawburger and a shake from the Hilltop Drive-in.

10) Confess if you have fallen off the wagon and WIMPED out by not being a REAL MAN by maintaining your SELF-CONTROL around BAD foods.

I like to pretend I am still kind of slowly climbing on the wagon. Yeah, I know that is a wimp-out. By the way, in physics a WIMP is a Weakly Interacting Massive Particle. So yes, I’m a WIMP.

Then, do weekly updates every Friday. I DO NOT want daily updates. And making excuses is simply pretend men playing with Barbie Dolls!

I prefer to call them Mattel, Inc. Collectable Action Figures

I want your progress reports submitted every FRIDAY.

During mid-week, you can talk about your trials and tribulations, but let me tell you!… I want to hear MORE tribulations than trials! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR? I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!

SIR YES SIR

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .
    Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Wow John, I feel like I’m doing nothing compared to your rigorous Schedule. ūüôĀ

John Cockman
    Keymaster

What can I say, Rock, I love to work out. OK I’ll pull back a little bit so we can do this together.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 533 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in