Fitness Central — Boot Camp

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Fitness Central — Boot Camp

This topic contains 600 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 8 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 601 total)
  • Author
    Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Oh no John, just keep on showing me up. :) Pull back John, our drill instructor will not like that my friend!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Your drill sergeant here!  So listen up!  Your initial reports received.  I am going to address both of you Privates individually in separate posts, so pay attention and take special note of what I am about to say!

Over all, your initial reports was typical of most new recruits, i.e; DISAPPOINTING!

Private Rock:

1) Your height is capable of carrying just 165 lbs (your goal weight).

2) You need to ditch the FOUR MUGS of coffee per day!  Coffee is a KILLER!  Cut down to just TWO small cups (NOT mugs) per day, and then drop down to just ONE small cup per day. And then, drop down to one small cup of coffee twice a week… if you feel you can’t go without the darn stuff!   Coffee is a diuretic.  It causes constant urination and will leave you thirsty and so your body will need more liquids — IN THE FORM OF WATER!   Coffee is also addictive, hence why some people drink four or more cups per day.  Substitute your coffee with cups of fruit juice, for example:

– Apple & Black currant juice heated is tangy and refreshing.

– Freshly juiced carrot and celery juice with a hint of fresh ginger.

– Green Tea with fresh mint leaf.

– Pineapple juice.

You also need to eat lots of leafy green vegetables in the form pf Silverbeet, Cos lettuce, Spinach,

Also eat LOTS of Broccoli, Cauliflower, Sweet potato, Beans of all kinds.

Remember too that eating vegetables is more important than eating fruit.

Eat lots of whole grains.  Also eat Lentils, Chick Peas etc.

Substitute the mince meat in certain dishes with Lentils and sliced Mushrooms.

Eat a few stir fry dishes throughout the week as your evening meal.

Eat a reasonable break fast of say oatmeal with banana chopped up in it (no extra sugar or salt) and perhaps a small spoon of honey mixed through.  After consuming this, have a slice or two of toast with sliced Tomato on it, followed with a glass of fresh fruit juice.  If the morning is cold, you can heat the juice up to drinking temperature.

Eat small bite – sized “meals” throughout the day.  Do NOT fall for the “Three meals per day crap”!  That is utter nonsense.  When your body gives you the impression you are hungry, have a glass of water.  Oftentimes, what you perceive as being hungry for food is really your body telling you that it needs water.  So, when you feel hungry, have a large glass of water, and if say 10 minutes later you still feel a little hungry, then eat a HEALTHY snack like a salad or a sliced onion and tomato and lettuce wholemeal sandwich.

You desperately need to ditch the sugar.  From your initial report (which is not in front of me right now) from what I gather, you are consuming a whopping EIGHT… that’s right 8 spoons of sugar per day just in your coffee!  Sugar is a killer of brain cells as well as a catalyst for other diseases.  You can always substitute a small amount of honey for sugar.

More stuff to follow this, but on ending, I will say that I am proud of you Private Rock for giving your lifestyle change a try and for losing the weight you have already lost.  You just need to boost your will – power!

NOTE: Without going into physiology, when I said “sugar is a killer of brain cells” it does this indirectly.  Search Google to find out what damaging effect the consumption of sugar has on the brain.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John and Rock — Can you go back and fill in your waist measurement that I just now included in the form simply by editing your post and including your waist measurement.  Very important to keep track of waist measurement.  Thanks.   :)

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Private John Cockman!  Your initial report received.

Verdict:  Boot Camp is still holding out hope for you!  Over all though, you appear to be trying hard to change your current bad habits, and you have lost a little excess weight, so I applaud you on that.  I can see where you have been trying, and, given your current “cold” symptoms, you will be allowed to have some leeway for one week.

Read the vitally important information below and understand it!  Memorize it and repeat it, even in your sleep, if you have to!

1) Exercise meaning:
    – Long brisk walks. DO NOT RUN OR JOG. This is too hard on your leg joints as well as your back. BRISK WALKING highly recommended.
    – Callisthenics
    – Bike riding, exercise bike, step ups, walking machine, burpees (as seen in video below)
    – Wood chopping,chin ups, sit ups, crunches, raised knee hits, skipping rope.
    Your university has a gym. Make use of it!

House cleaning, cleaning a turtle pen, walking to the refrigerator is NOT exercise. What we are aiming for here is good solid CARDIOVASCULAR exercise!

2) DO NOT post links in this thread that refer to unhealthy JUNK FOOD or Junk food outlets!

3) Healthy food meaning: A variety of lots of vegetables from leafy green vegetables to root vegetables like carrots, sweet potato. Include also broccoli, cauliflower, Lentils, a mixture of beans, unbleached rice (wash rice before cooking to remove most of the starch), zucchini, wholemeal bread, Tomatoes and lots more vegies. Fruit is also good but must be more of a snack rather than a meal.

4) DO NOT cook your food in a microwave oven — ANY FOOD! Cook ALL of your “to be cooked” food on the stove.

5) You are defeating the purpose of drinking lots of pure water by adding Gatorade to it. Did you know there are around THREE – FIVE teaspoons of sugar in just one small serving of Gatorade? Mix a squeeze of Lemon into your water if you don’t like the taste of plain water.

6) NO deep fried food or any food from fast-food death camps!

7) Use a small amount of Rice bran oil or Sunflower seed oil in a frying pan to cook your stir fry. When the frying meal looks like it needs more oil, add a little water instead of oil to stop the food sticking to the pan.

8) Mashed potato together with mashed pumpkin and or some mashed sweet potato is FANTASTIC. You can use a little full-cream milk in this to blend it all together.

9) The 35 lb weight we keep hearing about is not going to lift itself. Rather, pick up a couple of smaller weights and use to tone your body.

All-in-all I am please you are trying BUT you need to try harder.

SELF-DISCIPLINE is the key to SUCCESS.

More to come!

• This reply was modified 49 years ago by .
    Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Scott, do you mean my lower waist or my upper waist? You know, where I wear my pants or the where I should wear my pants?

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Good morning, Private Rock!

Loop the tape measure around the back of you and then adjust it around your waist so that it forms a straight line with your navel.  One inch higher than your navel or one inch lower may give you a different measurement.  So, keep the tape in a circumference along the line of your navel for all measurements.  It might be easier if your wife measures your waist.  You only need to measure your waist once every Friday and put the measurement in your weekly report.

To do your weekly reports (due every Friday), copy my  Report Guidelines (the one asking for your height, current weight etc.) and paste it into a new comment window.  Then fill in the new information you have have to report.  I will tidy it up and label each report with a number and date.  Your next report due next Friday (this coming Friday) will be Report # 2.

You also need to edit your first report above and alter :”How much weight you have already lost” section.  You have put that you have lost 185 lbs.  I am gathering that is your current weight and you have lost 10 lbs.  If this is correct, then could you please edit your initial report and write the correct amount of weight you have actually lost. You might have lost a little more today?

HINT:  When weighing yourself and measuring your waist, it is best to do this as soon as you get out of bed of a morning.  This way, you body will be in it’s most natural state before any food and liquid is consumed which will make you heavier and your waist bigger.

Good luck, Private!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

OK Great Scott, I wear a 36″ waist but if I move it up to the belly button it may increase another 12″ or more.   My wife will need some chalk to measure my upper waist.

• This reply was modified 49 years ago by .
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Rock, to find your waist, stand up and with both left and right hands on each side of your body, feel for your lower ribs.  The push your hands in just under your lower ribs and push downwards a little.  Your hips are the next thing you will feel.  Your waist is between your lower ribs and your hips — along the line of your navel.  This is where you should measure.

Regarding coffee:  DO NOT believe the absolute BS that your read on the Internet.  It is all a ploy of the coffee industry to fool every one into believing coffee is good for you, as a way of keeping people addicted to their poison!  The same ploy the tobacco industry uses to keep people addicted to their death sticks by denying that smoking causes cancer.  Ask any Doctor or dietitian of good repute and they will confirm EXACTLY what I have been saying, and that is “Coffee is NOT good for you!

Here is the bottom line:  Boot Camp here is for people who want to change their bad dietary habits and get healthy by losing some of their excess weight.  I am trying to help people here but I am banging my head against a brick wall if people don’t want to change their bad dietary habits and want to keep arguing the point with me.  People either want to change or they don’t.  There is no middle ground.  Being fat and eating unhealthy food is a person’s own choice.  And I am fine with that, if that is what they want to do.  It is also a person’s own choice to kick all the bad food out of their life and change their lifestyle for themselves and their loved ones by becoming healthier, happier, more confident and less prone to the illnesses of aging as well as less prone to the more common health – related problems that plague this gluttonous and obese modern society.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Scott, thats why I came to boot camp. To loose weight and be healthier. I will have to work into the program. Stopping things cold turkey is not the way as you said earlier faze out some things over time.
    Sir yes Sir!

Great Scott
    Great Scott
    Participant

Scott, the link to Dr. Hyman was very interesting and really made me think over my use of coffee. Thank you.

Ann

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Sgt. Scott, I filled in the requested information. I measured the correct dimension, but rounded down to the nearest inch. No need to make it seem worse than it is!

OK, you will be proud of me. Here is how I has set up my office:

John's Office

I got rid of my chair and put my computer up high so I can stand on that rubber pad. This keeps me from sitting so much. You can also see my 35 pound weigh on the floor, which I haven’t used yet, but I bought some 10 pound weights that you see on the window sill. I’ll be more likely to use those. On the desk is a healthy salad, and water (albeit flavored with Gatorade).

Not pictured is a chair by my chalk board for doing dips, and plenty of clear floor space for burpees. I am going to get started on these soon! Carefully at first though — they look dangerous. :)

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

All day long sit up after sit up and a few push ups. Really taking off lawnmower blades and sharpening them and putting them back on. Then, after the 6 blades, I greased both mowers and lifted one mower twice. That was ruff, I be sorry for that. I will spare you the rest.

John, I was thinking if you get a little lazy susan you could replace the matt and do the twist, just a suggestion.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hahahha Lazy Susan. That’s good, Rock. Hey, around here, mowing is considered hard labor.

mowing on a hill

Oh, bad news. I went to the rec center today and I measured my weight on their (supposedly) accurate scales. I was 220 lbs, so now I have to go back and add 5 lbs to the value of my home scales. :(

I also decided to be more honest about my waist measurement :( :(

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

That does look like a workout. How hot is it there? I haven’t measured my waist yet our friendly drill instructor wants me to measure my upper waist! I thought my pant size would be good enough. I hope he’s not reading this he will jump down my throat.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Listing your pant size would be fine back in the good old days when grandfather fastened his pants right across his belly button. These days, pants are designed to fasten low so we can sport that all-becoming “overlap.” Although sporty, this pant size does not accurately reflect waist size.

belly overhang -- pants size

It’s about 55 degrees here, and dropping. It is supposed to freeze tomorrow night.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

John, your waist size (pant waist size) is like bragging rights. Hey I have a 36″ waist! :)
    I can see the weight falling right off in that picture!
    You could hurt yourself doing that, your brother doesn’t do that, your sister doesn’t do that you act like a crazy person rolling that thing up that hill, we are big pants people, go back in the house and put your big pants on!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Crap! I just noticed I have different shoes on, mirrors are a great invention!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha great Kevin Meany quote. Rock, there is coming a day when we will see our shoes without the aid of a mirror. Keep on believin’!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Another song taken from your post.
    Don’t stop believin and thats all I can remember now. I could go to Youtube but I’m hurting to bad! I have enough on you. You will be in one or another way! :)

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

For some reason, I start my day out well — a healthy breakfast, a light lunch, a few healthy snacks — and then when dinner time comes around, I throw it all to the wind. Then I’m up at 3 AM eating anything I can get my grubby little fingers on. I have yet to sustain my willpower for an entire day!

Don’t Stop Believin’ is a great motivational song, Rock. Put it in your ipod and play it while you work out. For more motivational sounds, here is a video of Great Scott working me out. I later found out that he let me win that last race on the beach on purpose, but at the time I was really excited. Oh well.

OK Rock, tomorrow is Friday, which means we report for duty. I am afraid I won’t have any earth-shattering gains to report this time around. You?

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

ADREAN!!
    Me either, I don’t think I have gained any weight. I guess that’s not bad, eh!
    John, did you get the code? It wasn’t much of a code, I’m sure you did!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Weekly Health Report

Name: Private John C
    Date: April 24, 2015
    Week: 1

Height: 6’2″
    Waist Measurement: 42″
    Outset weight: 230 lbs
    Goal weight: 185 lbs
    Weight lost already: 12 lbs

Exercise:
    Minimal weights and calisthenics. This has been at my office desk while checking mail. This includes some squats. I can really improve here. I have not walked this week.

Food:
    I have eaten well this week up until about 4:00 PM. I have been eating yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I cut back to just a small pinch of Gator Mix in my water. We actually have very yummy mountain water but I do not like the taste of glass, plastic, metal, or lemon. Someone said to try ginger, so I am going to do that. I bring tangerines and apples and a small salad for brunch and elevenses and lunch. But for some reason, when I get to tea time I fall off the wagon. I have gone through the fast food line at least three times this week, and other times I have eaten way too much of some free candy and deserts here at work. Other time I have eaten a healthy dinner then went back for big seconds. Then I will work late and end up boiling three eggs and finishing off my birthday cake. Very frustrating to lose battles against my stomach like this.

Overview:
    I give myself a D this week on my renewed commitment to healthy living. If would have been an F if not redeemed by the good AM food and light exercise. It was not the most inspiring start but I believe it will lead to something serious.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Does anyone else want to join me and Rock? We will be your support group! Just copy the above post and fill in your information. If some of the fields are a little “personal,” just leave them blank. However, it has been shown that blogging about your health habits is beneficial. It forces you to think about what you are doing to stay healthy. This is about changing your life for the better. If you are already in great shape and are living healthily, feel free to join in as well! You can inspire and encourage us.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Show off!

I’m practising. :)

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

I just weighed myself and I way 190 lbs. but muscle is heavier than fat.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

[quote=21762]Does anyone else want to join me and Rock?[/quote]
    I would like to :O) Yayyy… I am so busy doing finger pull ups on my A and D strings its killing me. Joke… But seriously , I feel the need to get in shape me too. I think the walking on the job thing speaks for itself but I do yet still have a belly growing and I blame the one hour of Candy girl in the morning and then the other hour of Candy girl after noon with a Boreal Rousse Ale. :O) But then again , those 2 hours of bowing do indeed make my muscles grow in my thumbs and for arms , so i put on wait playing Candy girl, but then I am dancing the whole time so…you would think candy girl is helping me loose wait so …Must be the Ale , it s a 341 ml malty thick ale with red crystal s . And it comes in packs of 12.

Name: private Gu-Brew
    Date: April 24, 2015
    Week: 1

Height: 5.6.5
    Waist Measurement: 39″
    Outset weight: 185
    Goal weight: 165
    Weight lost already: 0 )

Exercise:
    Fiddling while dancing to some seriously rhythmic bluegrass tunes.
    Walking up and down a mile hike 2 to 6 times a day. 2 to 7 days a week

Food:
    Beer, cheese bread mushroom lettuce subs , Organic : spelt , buck wheat , Kamut Millet and rice flour pancakes with 100% maple syrup.
    Espressos 1 per morning , eat less that way but who knows how healthy thought.

Overview:
    I give myself a B + for learning Candy girl and dancing 2 hours a day 4 out of 7 days :O) but a true C would be more for real because I just cracked another Ale :O)

Gu

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Gu!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sure you can! Great sargent Scott might discharge me, maybe dishonorably.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Gu, welcome to our “Fit as a Fiddle” boot camp. I can’t wait until Sgt. Scott is chewing on your ear instead of mine!

Gu it sounds to me like you get plenty of exercise. You may want to add some light weight training. But as Great Scott mentioned, the exercise is more for toning your body and keeping your skin taut as your weight falls off, while eating less and better is what actually takes the weight off.

See this article, just out this week:

Why Exercise Doesn’t Always Help You Lose Weight

It seems the most important thing for weight loss is to eat right, and then use exercise to tone and strengthen.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Ha Ha Ha Just got off the scales….wait for it wait, wait OK 180 lbs. Da da da da tee to tee hee. 180 lbs. ah ah ah!
    I don’t have a tape measure yet, sorry.
    I need the Drill Instructor for help, kindly help, not the bossy help, o oh I need your help how ever you want to dish it out, Sorry Sir.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

[quote=21647]OK, you will be proud of me.[/quote]

Hi John!  Yes, I am VERY proud of you.   :)  You have submitted a very good weekly report!  I am impressed!  :)

You have lost 12 lbs (5.5 kilograms).  For those interested in coming into the 21st Century and joining the rest of the world:

l lb = 2.2 kilograms. HINT:  Think in units of 10.  So, 2.2 kilos is 2,200 grams.

There are 1,000 grams in one kilo.  Just like there are 1,000 kilos in a tonne. (note the spelling of “tonne”– pronounced “ton“, similar to the name “Tom”–  is to denote its metricity and to differentiate it from its imperial counterpart of “ton” — pronounced “tun”.  Just like there are 1,000 millimeters in one meter.  Metric is a lot like $$$ and cents and is SOOOO  much easier than the antiquated Imperial system of weights and measures.  I digress…

I like the way your office is set out.  Good open “exercise” space!  Those smaller weights will do you good.  And the 35 pounder (almost 16kg) will also come in handy for you when used correctly.  I like the idea of you standing rather than sitting too much, however, considering your back (and your legs) have you considered also getting an ergonomic chair — the ones in the shape of a Z.  They stop you from slouching by forcing your body weight to balance itself to the point where your neck, shoulders, thorax and hips are all in alignment; ergo, eliminating muscle fatigue, headaches from bad posture and craning neck.  They are also good for when you wish to take a dumb bell in each hand, and, while seated, you can perform TWO kinds of exercises:

1) While seated.  Dumb bell in each hand.  Sit straight.  With both hands at your side, allow the dumb bells to fall in your hand.  You will feel the stretch in your biceps.  Lean as far as you can to the right, keeping your left arm hanging but allowing the left hand weight to rise with you.  Then straighten back up and do the same with the left dumb bell.   Alternate between left and right so that you have done it TEN times for each side.  Rest for 15 seconds.  Repeat the same for TWO more times so that you will have done THREE sets of 10 = 30 reps total for your right side and your left side.

2) Sitting in same position and with same weights hanging loosely but firmly at your sides, lower the right dumb bell comfortable toward the floor , only this time, you will be raising bending your left arm upwards with the left dumb bell as far as you can up your left side.  Once you have reached as far as you can with the right dumb bell, return to your original position and repeat the exercise using your left dumb bell. Once again, you will have done THREE sets of 10 REPS.

It is advised that as a warm up to this or any other exercise, that you warm up.  To warm up for this exercise, simply sit on a stool or Z chair (ergonomic chair) without the dumb bells and gently twist your torso from left to right 10 times each side. followed by your arms hanging at your sides and doing similar to the above exercises But WITHOUT the dumb bells.

You can use the 35 lb weight for your squats.  Using both hands, firmly grasp the dumb bell and hold it to your chest.  Then, slowly commence your squats.  DO NOT go all the way down.  You DO NOT want to make a right angle with your knee because this is bad for your knees.  You want to stop about 10 – 15 degrees short of a right angle.  To prevent you automatically bending your knee to 90 degrees, place a stool or bench under you so that your bum touches the top of stool / bench.  Do 3 sets of 10 reps.  While doing your squat, remember to squeeze your bum muscles on the way down and hold for the count of “THREE” and then release and then when you are rising for the second part of the squat, tighten your bum muscles again as you come to a standing position.  once again, keep your bum muscles tight for the count of THREE as you come to the standing position.  It is the squeezing and holding of the muscle during the squat (or any other exercise) that has the most benefit.  Also remember that you only need around 15 – 20 seconds rest between sets.  If you go longer than 30 seconds (45 seconds being the cut-off point) your previous set will have been a waist of time because your muscle will have cooled down.  So, in theory, you should do: 10 squats (repetitions) followed by 15 – 20 second rest, followed by another 10 squats, followed by 15-20 second rest, followed by the remaining 10 squats.  Then a full rest.  You can use the smaller dumb bells for starters when doing squats, as their weight in each hand will not be sufficient enough to put you off balance.  Once you feel confident in doing the squat correctly and comfortably, you can swap the lighter dumb bells for the 35 lb one.

Perhaps you already know a lot of this, but I have mentioned it here just in case you haven’t.  I have also mentioned it here for other people who may not be aware.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

As far as your eating correctly until 4 PM and then gorging plus the fact that you are wanting to double up on your evening meal and then your uncontrollable eating at 3 AM:  You are a nervous eater.  In other words, when you feel anxious about something, you automatically reach for food. This is a habitual reaction — what I call “association” — similar to a smoker where their phone rings and as soon as they answer the phone, they light up a cigarette.  Why?  Because they lit up a cigarette the last time the phone rang and the conversation began; the same as the time before that.  The trick is to leave the place you are in and divert your energies and thoughts to other places and other things.  However, with time and reconditioning, it can be broken.  Over-eating is a habit.  Your stomach stretches and requires more food; so the more you over-eat the more your stomach stretches and the more food your stomach demands to fill it.  It is a vicious cycle.  The trick being to not over-eat in order to shrink your stomach to its proper size.

Your hunger and gorging suggests to me that your body may be calling out for protein and fat.  Like I have said numerous times before, cut back on things SLOWLY.  You can still eat certain unsaturated fats and you can still eat meat.  Meat contains the chemical called tryptophan which tells the brain you are full.  There are also other foods which contain tryptophan.  Follow the link below:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-tryptophan-foods.php

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I think your eating healthy until 3 PM and then gorging suggests to me that you are not getting enough carbohydrates.  Try taking a pasta salad, or even a dish of spaghetti bolognese to work for your lunch.  Use low fat minced meat in it OR use half the meat you would normally use in it and substitute the other half with mushrooms and lentils.

You don’t have to give up everything at once.  And remember, the more exercise you do, the more calories you will burn and the more calories you burn the hungrier you will feel.  It is a balancing act trying to satisfy this hunger but it can be filled with portions of past and rice, potatoes, other root vegetables and legumes and a little meat, if you so desire.  You might also enjoy a meal of fish several times a week with baked vegetables and pasta / rice.

I suggest you try the above food suggestions and let me know mid-week a few times how you are going with it.  We need to identify what is making you gorge any old things and devise ways on how to treat it.  The trick to losing weight and exercising is to have fun while doing it and to NOT make it a burden.  Please send me regular updates via e-Mail and let me know how you are going.

All-in-all, I think you have done admirably and I am very proud of you for trying as hard as you are.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Gu!  Welcome to Boot Camp!  Get ready to lose some weight and start looking Great!  I will have to finish this of tomorrow. Out of time now.

Scott

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Rock, good weight loss!  I am impressed.  More to come tomorrow.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Great Scott, I am so happy your back. As to the post above – 10 lbs. loss!
    We have a new member in boot camp, GU!!!!
    We need you Scott, no one more than me! :) :)

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Excellent weight loss, Rock.  Keep shedding the fat!   :)

Yeah, it’s good that Gu has signed up!  The more the merrier!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

We will have to keep you on your toes. Or rather the other way around. Bad habits are hard to break!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Here is a very inspiring video for you all.  It shows the power of defiance, commitment, and self-discipline.  Most of all, it shows you what personal will-power can achieve.  There was also a strict healthy eating regime in place during his vigorous exercise / weight training program.

John, you will note the loose skin that I spoke to you of when a persons skin has stretched too much from being overweight.  No worries for you, young lad.  You have not yet reached such epic proportions as the young man in the video.  This is why I am a staunch advocate of toning while adopting a healthy regime.  I DO NOT like to use the word “DIETING”.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi to all the Boot Campers!

Would you please go back to my original post in this thread and read the addendum  which is the agreement for taking part in Boot Camp here.  This is not to make things difficult or complicated.  Think of this agreement as guide more so than a list of “rules”.  It has been proven that when people agree to make a commitment, then they are serious about fulfilling that commitment.  The commitment you are making here at Boot Camp is not to me, but rather to YOURSELF in your determination to becoming a healthier you.  All I ask for is your co-operation in regard to your participation.

I may seem a little tough at times, but I have come to learn that holding someone’s hand and mollycoddling them only serves to damage their own self-discipline and sense of commitment.  That said, I am NOT your girlfriend!  I am NOT your wife!  I am NOT your boyfriend!  And I am NOT your husband.  And I will NOT hold your hand and pamper you.  I DO understand the difficulties you will sometimes be facing.  And I DO understand that old habits are hard to break and that changes need to be made gradually in order for them to have a lasting value on your life.   I will support and encourage and motivate you and hopefully guide you along your journey back to optimum health through the slow changes you are making to your current lifestyle.  I will remain fair and consistent even though some may see me a being a little harsh.  My perceived “harshness” is because I care and because I want you to push yourself by taking that extra step; accepting the challenges, and being greater than you ever thought possible.

Boot Camp here is for WINNERS!… not losers!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Rock, you have not yet posted your  WEEK 2 report.  It was due Friday April 24.

It is important for you to submit a weekly report so that we can see it and applaud you on your successes and encourage you to further successes, as well as providing support for you if you have fallen short of your goals for any particular week.

Submitting a weekly report is also very important and beneficial for YOU, so that you can read in plain black and white, not only your successes but also your short-comings for any given week, and thus strive to stay on target for your following week.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Drill sergeant Great Scott’s initial fitness report.  April 26, 2014

1)  Height:

2) Waist measurement:

80 cm  /  31″” inches

3) Outset weight (weight you started with before coming to Boot Camp)

82 kg  /  180 lb

4) Goal weight:

82 kg  /  180 lb

5) Amount of weight lost already:

Nil

6) The type of exercises you have been doing this week:

Due to a severe eye injury and associated pain and loss of focus / vision in that eye, I have been unable to do any exercise this week or even drive a vehicle.  However, aside from this required rest, other weeks I usually do brisk walking, weight training, calisthenics, bike riding, walking  / slide machine, gymnastics, hiking, sit -ups,  crunches, chin-ups, stretching (to name a few)

7) How often (times per day) you have been doing these exercises:

Usually a 40 minute program for weights per day alternating between  upper body and lower body every other day.  One hour bike riding every other day,  30 minutes of calisthenics once per day.  Exercise machines 30 minutes each once per day.  Brisk walking one hour  most days.  Abdominal work (crunches, sit-ups etc. ) one lot of 30 minutes per day. Stretches = 1 -2 times per day (morning and evening)

8) The kinds of HEALTHY food you have been eating:

Legumes, rice, green leafy vegetables, lots of root vegetables – especially sweet potato, vegetarian Asian curries, some potatoes, dry roasted vegetables, Red bell peppers, zucchinis, pumpkin, tomatoes, some eggs, onions, oatmeal in the morning with fruit juice to sweeten, wholemeal bread, yogurt, a little fruit, nuts, a little pasta, green tea, black tea, fruit juice.

9) The kinds of BAD food you wimped out on:

Nil

10) Confess if you have fallen off the wagon and WIMPED out by not being a REAL MAN by maintaining your SELF-CONTROL around BAD foods:

Nothing to confess

Comments: (reflect on your past week — things you need to be more vigilant of, things you fell short of, your awareness strategy etc.)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 601 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.