Five String Fiddle

This topic contains 31 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 1 month ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’m fascinated with the idea of a 5-String, and scared to death of jumping in and getting involved.  I have so many irons in the fire now I’m just going around in circles getting nothing done and finishing nothing either.  I resisted the temptation to get one of those silent electronic fiddles you play with headphones.  I want a viola real bad, but still digging in my heels on that.  I don’t have the money to do any of this, but life’s too short to worry about that (right?)….Can anyone please discourage me from this temptation?

Oh, John..still waiting for you to demonstrate your 5-string in a lesson…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OH…NO….now this….!!!   (Carbon Fiber)

Is there really a Santa??  Does anyone have his address??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh no…I feel your pain, Rodger, but I think it’s also contagious!  I want that carbon five string fiddle, and I also wanna play it like he does!!!! My old guitar friends used to call it GAS…Guitar Acquisition Syndrome…well, I guess there’s fiddle gas to watch out for too…I did get my cheap Chinese viola, so…that alleviated some of it for me…and like I said…I feel your pain…and I’m catching it too…lol!  More to go on the Wish List!!!!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Oh my, maybe we should all get vaccinated so this doesn’t spread any farther..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Too late for us…maybe still hope for some others…but I doubt it!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

DEAR SANTA:  I’m not sure if you have time to visit the forum with you being so busy & all…but I hope you need some Christmas music or maybe just checking to see if we’ve all been good.  Anyway I haven’t written you for a long time cause I been busy too…and then, well, a lot people been saying things, like you can’t really slide down all those chimneys in just one night, and then there’s the flying reindeer thing & all..but, you see, I never really doubted or nothing…just didn’t want to make things any harder for you.  Say, this year I have an idea…well, I mean….Oh never mind…it’s OK…

P.S. If you check out Mr. Clevelands video up above you’ll see he’s looking real good & been really working hard & all.  Maybe you could drop something special off for him & his buddy there…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

A little revision here and there and he might just bring you your carbon 5 string fiddle…but…possibly yes, probably no…lol.  This reminds me of what I thought was a funny conversation. A couple of weeks ago Mike and I were visiting my dad…having coffee and the talk frequently goes toward religion…my dad and every other man ever in the family on either side having been preachers at one time or the other, you know. And, I can’t remember exactly how it cane about, but my dad, in all seriousness, made the statement in the course of the conversation that, “Jews don’t believe in Santa Claus…” lol…well I about couldn’t keep the gulp of coffee in my mouth, laughing…I’m like…”oh?  that’s not part of their religion then?”  He never did see the humor or what was striking me as funny, which just made me have a harder time getting it back together again…” Dad, do Baptists believe in Santa Claus?”  He thought I was being ridiculous asking such a question…lol…ok…something was being miscommunicated that day…but I still have to laugh when I think of that…seems it could go down as a classic quote…Jews don’t believe in Santa Claus…struck me as funny…lol.  I guess in all seriousness, he meant Jews don’t play Santa, write letters, leave milk and cookies, etc.  But at the moment it just hit me as so funny I couldn’t contain myself.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, we’ve all probably had our doubts at one time or another…I guess that’s normal, but I sure don’t want to live in a world when people stop believing.  Sure, maybe he’s finally lost some weight, & I’m sure he’s had to make some changes, but I’m sure he’s still doing just fine.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I took a walk in the snow earlier…turned onto a street with lots of Christmas decorations and came across a deflated Rudolf…I guess he couldn’t join in any reindeer games…not that way…not till that boy got his self some air!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Someone got a pellet gun for Christmas…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…maybe.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/A-Revolutionary-5-Strings-Violin-Warm-Tone-Concerto-Level-Antique-oil-varnishing/1052700_32239176746.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.621fdcdbCuaO3s

Here is a china violin site called Old violin house 5 string for $308.00 includes shipping .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Oh, I just wanted to clear up one thing Cricket…did you mean to say if you or I got one of those fancy black fiddles, that it just might not sound quite like Michael’s video there, with us playing??  I can’t imagine why not?  ..but I’ll take your word for it.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I got the fever for anything violin if I buy one and it don’t work out maybe I can donate it to John for his violin camps

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Edit:  The post link Steve posted is different from the link I navigated too:

Steve, in the same website they have a 5-string that’s the same violin as the $1000.00 Fidderman 5 string.  The pictures are the exact same pictures.  Same fittings, strings, & everything.  The flamed back has it personal, signature flames, and no two are exactly the same, so those have to be the same pictures.  It is great wood…how can they sell those so cheap??  Says free shipping to Canada…do you know anything about this company??

Here is the link I’m talking about:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Maestro-Stradi-4-4-Violin-violino-Powerful-tone-Antique-Varnish-Old-Spruce-One-Pc-Back/1998287558.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.kt2a65

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rodger rodger.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Uh-oh…I’m thinking Steve might be the real Santa Claus!  And, well, Rodger, if my playing ever even came close to MCleveland’s when he was just a little a child, I’d probably be able to convince Mike to mortgage the house for a five string carbon fiddle…lol.  I guess given my abilities at this point, I oughta be happy there’s cheap Chinese fiddles🤣

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger I know nothing about this company I was just shopping on the internet . I am thinking of maybe trying out one of the 4 string violins and if it don’t work out I will donate it to Johns kids camp next year or worst case lesson learned they wont get a second chance .

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

EDIT:   Steve, on that same web site they have a 5-string which the pictures are the exact same pictures used for the Fiddlerman 5-string.  The picture of the bridge is exact same angle, same bridge, all the fittings, chin rest etc. etc.  I wonder if they are sending different ones to Fiddlerman, or…??  Say’s they have a thousand of them available…just wonder if they sell different qualities of instruments using the same pictures to represent them??

If they sound good enough for Fiddlerman to sell them for a thousand dollars…how can they sell them for $250?  You’ll find other fiddle’s on that site that Fiddlerman is selling also.  Just seems ‘too’ good…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Maybe We should check the reviews and feed back on this site

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I googled the site for reviews & there’s hundreds of people calling them crooks!  Sounds like a real gamble.  You’d have to be prepared to lose the entire amount, but maybe there’s a chance it’s real.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kind of scary . I watched some utube of unboxing and a few playing and mixed reviews . I am going to stay away for now .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Somewhere on this site there’s a huge review of various low-priced fiddles, by Scott.  It’s excellent.  My daughter read it and settled on a cheap Chinese with pretty good reviews for a half size for her son to start a violin class…when they got it, I went over and tuned it up, etc., and was really impressed.  I promptly ordered my cheap Chinese viola of the same brand…so far, happy with everything except the bridge curve height…even the strings are decent, but once the strings get changed, I’ll let Mike cut that bridge down some for me so it’ll be better for old time.  We chose Cecilio brand…but many brands are discussed in Scott’s article…my viola was less than 200…around 180 or so.  For the price, I couldn’t be happier…this means I can have a viola…my grandson’s 1/2 violin is holding up nicely too.  Have you guys read that big huge review by Scott?  Lots of brands discusssed…lots of price ranges…I found it very helpful in this world of cheap imported decent stuff verses cheap imported rip offs.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

The problem isn’t with what they are advertising Cricket.  They are advertising legitimate fiddles.  But this link Steve posted is from a Chinese vendor that seems to have a scary reputation, including hijacking your credit card to not even delivering, or delivering different from what was advertised, plus it takes months to get delivered from China.  Did you order yours from China, or what vendor did you use?

This link below takes you to a 5 string is exactly what Fiddlerman is selling for a thousand dollars, even using the exact same factory literature pictures, but they have it for $250!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Maestro-Stradi-4-4-Violin-violino-Powerful-tone-Antique-Varnish-Old-Spruce-One-Pc-Back/1998287558.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.kt2a65

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rodger rodger.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well we read Great Scott’s reviews and ordered ours from Amazon.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket what Cecilio viola model did you buy ? 300 – 400 – 500 – 600

Did you get the full size or smaller size ?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Steve, I made a mistake.  The link you posted was not the same fiddle that is the Fiddlerman 5 string.  What happened was, when I was on your link I clicked on another ad on the ali site.  Here is the link that I was talking about:

I apologize for anyone getting confused by referring to Steve’s link, but the post is still valid.  The fiddle on this link above is the exact same fiddle as the Fidderman thousand dollar fiddle.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I got the smallest size viola…or the one that said it was smallest adult viola….maybe 14 or something…I can’t remember now but it was the smallest full size, whatever that is.  I figured I couldn’t handle any bigger.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Oh my, I’m drooling over that instrument that Michael Cleveland is playing. Of course, he could make anything sound great.

Here is a link to Scott’s review post:
    https://bluegrassdaddy.com/forums/topic/review-of-fiddles-under-500/

Rodger, I hope Santa is good to you! After all, he doesn’t have to fly far to get to where you are. You’re probably one of the first on his list! 🙂

I can understand your apprehension about deciding on an inexpensive 5-string. It’s one thing to buy a cheap fiddle when you are curios about learning, but most people who buy 5-strings are already committed to fiddling. Because of this, most 5-string buyers want a good instrument that will last them for years.

Mine was made by a local luthier (Bob Kogut) and I was able to play it before buying. I would be very hesitant to get one through the mail!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Looking at all the fiddles has given me fiddle fever, I want ever fiddle I see , and I cant help but want , want , want them I fell guilty about cheating on my fiddle so maybe I’ll behave , but I still want a five string and a viola too , somebody stop me !!! I’m like a teenager looking at new cars and girls

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha you need to write a country cheating song about your fiddle.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Believe it or not Steve, I saw a “5-string viola” advertised somewhere on that Chinese list also….Do we ever grow out of being a teenager??

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Maybe , I will write a country song about cheating on my violin . It would fit right in with Rodger miller stuff HA! Rodger I think I’m getting worse as I get older on the teenager thing , but got no tools to work with Ha !!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in