Five String Fiddle

This topic contains 46 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar John (BGD) 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket nice joke !

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Lol cricket, I remember that joke but can’t think how it goes.

Fred, that’s a great list of fiddlers. I have to agree with Rodger, it’s really hard to beat Michael Cleveland. I love Stuart Duncan just because of his good taste and amazing versatility. All of those guys are completely amazing. Bobby Hicks and Michael Cleveland use 5-string fiddles, and I would say that Hicks uses the fifth string as much as anyone, being the king of double-stops.

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I saw that video of Michael and the 5-string carbon… so I drove down to Nashville and bought it last year.   Funny.  It don’t sound as good as in his video. ;)    But seriously, it’s a fine fiddle, and has become my go-to instrument.    I travel alot, and camp and play in some pretty inhospitable locations, so I have this CF fiddle and a carbon fiber guitar made by Composite Acoustics.  I can leave them in the trunk of my car (even now, they’re outside in the 34 degree temps) and they barely get out of tune.

If anyone is interested, I have my 5-sting Knilling for sale….  built in pickup and pegheads.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

could you post a tune with the CF fiddle?  But it has to sound like Michael’s remember….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow it’s really weird that this post started on Dec 9th…and got picked up again on Dec 9th…doo-dee dooo-deee doo-dee-dooo deee (twilight zone theme being played on a five string).

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I don’t have any video of me playing the CF that’s not someone else’s post on Facebook.   I’m not sure a FB link would post here correctly.    I did make the website of the manufacturer, Gayford Carbon Fiber Violins, out of Canada.    You have to scroll clear to the bottom of this page

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Joe, thanks for the link! Would love to see you playing that thing soon! I have a 5-string built by Bob Kogut, and I enjoy it. However, right now I have it outfitted with 4 octave strings. I have never tried a CF fiddle but would love to at some point!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.