Flying with a fiddle

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Flying with a fiddle

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Great Scott Great Scott 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Hello, all –

Who has flown with your fiddle?  Can you take it as your carry-on, or is the case too large and has to be checked?

Thanks in advance!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ve flown with my fiddle twice (or four times depending on how you count it) and always carried it on, once on LAM (Mozambique airlines) and once on air France. As long as there’s room in the overhead bin (lots of people put suitcases up there) you should be fine, as long as your fiddle (and bow) doesn’t have any banned woods or ivory or anysuch

Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Thanks Gunnar!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant
    Bird Dog Brice
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Bruce, I have flown a number of times both domestically as well as internationally with various airlines and most airlines (BUT NOT ALL) as I discovered, will allow you to take your violin on board as one piece of your carry-on baggage.  Note that some airlines will only allow ONE item as carry-on.

I (and many others) would suggest that you try to get onto the aircraft as quick as possible in order to find a vacant overhead locker near to your seat.  I have found that it worked best for me to put the violin in the overhead locker opposite my seat so I could keep a constant eye on it when other passengers were either cramming their bag in or taking it out.  A few passengers may think you crazy to be so concerned about a violin (as I experienced) but they are just the ignorant ones (whom we must bless) who know nothing about the fragility of a violin.

Also, if you smile a lot when boarding, you will often find a very helpful flight attendant who will help you quickly find a vacant locker.  BY NO MEANS EVER LET YOUR FIDDLE GO INTO THE CARGO HOLD.

Sorry for the late response.  Hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.