Foggy Mountain Top

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by fiddliferous1950 fiddliferous1950 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I’m going to try and learn the fiddle break for “Foggy Mountain Top” as played by Corrina Rose Logston.  Any thought on how to go about this would be appreciated.  I will start with Amazing slowdowner to see how far I can get.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Know the chord progression.

take it a note at a time

find the basic melody first…then add harmony notes

be patient

play around with the speed…it helps me to keep things in context and get the bigger picture that I might lose when only listening very slow.

Good luck!  If you hit a snag, be sure to post about it and maybe we can help out…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good luck Kenny !

Angela
    Participant

I agree with Dave. Another trick for me is listen to just a short bit until you can sing it. Then work to play what you’re singing. I seem to retain it longer when I do that.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Yes Angela words always help !

Angela
    Participant

I actually meant humming the notes to the fiddle part. But even better if you can put the words in your brain too.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

I think the lick on the end of the break sounds a lot like Angela’s playing.  It may be a standard way or version of a very long run to get back to the home target note.
    It may be one of Dave’s long runs too!
    I think she may abandon the melody or what you might hear as melody to end the break.  I could be wrong.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re correct.

She is running down the C scale with a type of (4 note) lick (I forget the name) that returns to the note it started on.

for instance G, F, E, G  then F, E, D, F then E, D, C, E, then D, C, B, D followed by something like.C, B, C, D, E, G, A, B, C…and lastly slide D#to D, then C, Bb, G, F, Eb-slide-E, C

Angela
    Participant

Wow, Kenny, that makes me feel like a million bucks that you hear anything like that in my playing.  She’s an awesome fiddle player.  I listened to a High Fidelity album all morning.

Those runs are basically built around the pentatonic scales with some flatted 3rds and flatted 7s built in.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Angela,
    You do play well! And you look as though you are having fun.

I think the pentatonic scale may come up sometime with Dave.  We are just now beginning to work on triads. (hope i said that correctly Dave)

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Sounds right to me…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck with it, Kenny!  Hope you will be playing it for us here one day soon.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Cricket,

I learned the first measure and a half – Now I’m stuck trying to hear the next few notes.  It may be a long while before I figure it out.  Meantime – Dave has given me enough homework to last a lifetime! LOL

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Angela,

Thanks for telling me about High Fidelity.  They are great!

Angela
    Participant

Yes…Corrina is their fiddle player (maybe you knew that).  :^)

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, see how this sounds to you…probably not perfect but it should be close.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9c1jc6echv3io3o/Foggy%20Mtn%20Top.tef?dl=0

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

How do you do that?  I’ll give it a try tomorrow.
    Thank you.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’ve done it a lot.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Hi Kenny, Dave, Angela, Steve and Cricket: Here’s an idea I had for an original fiddle break (or possibly just quiet fiddle background) to Foggy Mountain Top. Sorry for all the racket in the background, but my headphones are still on order and I didn’t have a way of playing along with the music without re-recording it as I played the break.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Fred,

Sounds great!  I think you could play that with the band and be just fine.

I tried a little of Dave’s tef. version and boy do I need a lot of work on that one.  Didn’t sound anywhere close to where it needs to be.
    Thanks for your post.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Kenny. I tried loading in Dave’s .tef files but haven’t been able to read them. I’m doing something wrong, just don’t know what it is. lol

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Fred, do you have tabledit or tefview installed?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

No Dave, I don’t think I have either of those. I downloaded Dropbox the other day, though.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You need one of the two to view .tef files.

It is free software…tabledit = you can write your own tab (only up to 16 measures on the free version)

tefview is strictly a viewer.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I just downloaded Table edit and I still can’t seem to download your tef files.

Oops, my bad. I can download them. Thanks, Dave.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in