Folsom Prison

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zazen fiddleZazen fiddle
    Participant

Hi All, I just admire the way this fiddler keeps his rhythm. I have been trying to catch on to this but can’t seam to get the feel right. Is there any tips anyone could offer me as how to count this rhythm or any thing else that may help me learn to play like this.

Wanda

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

A lot of it is what, I believe, they call the “nashville shuffle”

one long stroke followed by two short

If you use a 4 count:

long stroke = 1 & 2

short = 3
    short = 4

It can take some getting used to because of the three stroke pattern

If your bow stokes are down, up down the first time through they will be up, down, up the next time through…this just keeps alternating like this as long as you use it.

Hope this helps

Dave

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

I think he’s doing Nashville Shuffle while skipping a beat…there’s probably a name for that particular variation…

But sounds to me like instead of a regular…D- ud U-du… he’s doing more something like D-u d (skip) udu   something like that ain’t it?  But kinda coming to a quick stop / skip on that second downbow…the first downbow, two beats, he’s slurring or hammering on …has a very Cajun sound.  I love the sound.  I might be wrong about exactly how he’s getting it, but it sounds to me like that’s what he’s doing.

Zazen fiddleZazen fiddle
    Participant

Thanks Dave.. I will work on the shuffle … I never really got it down . back to the drawing board again.

Thanks Cricket that make sense two.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I got curious and tried my best to grab my fiddle and “imitate” that cool shuffle he’s doing…I think what I said above could possibly be about right…except like the regular Nashville Shuffle, you have to go back and forth, and in order to do that, you’d have to go:

D-ud (skip while pushing bow up)dud…that gets you going the opposite direction for the next cycle…just like N. Shuffle…

D- ud (skip u)d u d…U- du (skip d) udu…D- ud (skip up) d u d…etc.

That’s what I just did while watching local news (never a wholesome idea…lol) and getting ready to go somewhere in a minute here…I was thinking that might be it, or at least close to it…lol.  I think I’ll practice up on that becauase it sounds like such a cool groove.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Every now and then he also does a simple 8th note shuffle with ephasis on the 1st, 4th, and 7th notes of each measure. They are a fun band!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.