For Gary which is push and pull for the bow

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum For Gary which is push and pull for the bow

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

February 14, 2018 at 3:43 PM

Garyj

Participant
    Hello everyone, My name is Gary I am a lifer military guy about to retire. I have always loved fiddle music since I was old enough to know what it was, unfortunately during my youth I was unable to afford music lessons or not much more than just what I needed. I will now have the time and I have been blessed to be able to do what I have always dreamed, play the fiddle. I have done a bit of self study on music and I get the basics but I am having a hard time understanding the sheet music as far as the small arrows at the bottom “▲▼” I know it means the movement of the bow but which arrow is push and which is pull? Thanks in advance and I am honored to be part of this wonderful instrument.
    February 14, 2018 at 5:10 PM

cricket

Participant
    Gary…welcome. What branch have you served in? We appreciate all you guys do. Welcome to becoming a fiddling civilian…you’re in the right place, right here. Lots of lessons, lots of help…little bit of craziness. I think lots of members here regret not having gotten started earlier, but at least we’re all here now. I’m sure somebody will see this and answer your question about bow direction,..I would, but I don’t really know either. We’ll both learn

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Check out this link on learning Tablature , Gary , the down arrow ▼ means down or pull , The up arrow ▲ means up or push

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/step-2-how-to-read-tablature-fiddle-lesson/

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Steve.  I can never remember…I knew it was 50% one way or another. A person can also just watch John’s note by note lessons and he tells you which way you need to go, if it’s vital for the piece.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Steve!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

This is why I don’t like one-way streets…takes me a minute to parse out which way is which…lol.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

If you go the wrong way on a one-way, you usually don’t have to go very far before you recognize your mistake…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, but…then…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

then wham.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yep…ain’t that ain’t no good.

Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

Thanks Steve! after I posted that I started clicking on some of the free lessons and found it. You would think working on a computer all day I would have already checked out the entire site but I have to admit, I’m part squirrel LOL!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Gary your welcome , I am only on my tenth month , learning all of this stuff is over whelming , good luck !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in