Fret tape on the fiddle

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Fret tape on the fiddle

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Fayew3
    Participant

Hello, old member who just got around to start learning this fiddle. 🙂 I notice in the videos, you have what looks like colored tape on the fret. I would really love to have that. I am sure I have missed the video or discussion, and I apologize for that. Would anyone share information with me about that?

Thanks everyone for your time!   🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t have any experience with it but I think I’ve heard people here calling it “don’t fret stickers,” or some similar name.  I’m guessing you could find it on Amazon…maybe somebody who has one will see this and let you know the details.  Glad you are getting to learning and playing the fiddle…enjoy!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Don’t Fret Position Indicator for Violin 4×4

There’s lots of places to buy them Sharmusic.com is where I got mine they come in all sizes from 4×4 violin to all the smaller sizes also for Viola as well there like $5.95 each ! you can also find videos on how to install on U-tube

Here’s a link on how to install ! I installed the full length because John teaches 1st and 2nd positions and this sticker does make it easy to know where to put your fingers it’s a little tricky to put this sticker on with the strings on the fiddle , its easy if you unstring

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/step-2-how-to-read-tablature/

https://youtu.be/GT3g5bVFnY4

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Faye,  what we’ve always done for new students is take some coloured plastic tape, and you can cut thin strips and put them across the finger board for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th finger.  We use a little wider strip for the first 3, and then a thin one for the 4th.  Sometimes we use a thinner one for the 2nd finger also, so it stands out from the 1st & 2nd.  They need to be cut fairly thin so your finger can tell just where the right tone is.

There’s different philosophy of thought as to keeping it real simple and focus on learning by ear, where the simple plastic tapes work fine, or trying to combine learning all the notes from the beginning.  If you get real serious into learning something with a whole lot of double stops, and need to read them from music notation, then the don’t fret sticker is a big help.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The don’t fret sticker is so thin  you can not tell its there by feel , its more of a visual thing , I use it to get into position , once I learn a song I really don’t notice the sticker much !

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

One advantage of a narrow tape strip.  You can feel it (by the edges) without looking and then you definitely develop that muscle memory thing…to where you won’t need tapes in time.

Fayew3
    Participant

Thank you, everyone! Such great suggestions. I’m torn between the no fret and put a couple steps of narrow tape. I’m thinking the muscle memory should kick in either way…maybe. Looks like I need to decide and order.   🙂

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Faye, I do recommend using the tape, but not forever… It is a terrific learning aid and also an encouragement to beginners (no one likes to play out of tune). The full sticker like I have is also useful for intermediate fiddlers who are learning to play in higher positions. However, you will definitely want to start weaning yourself from it once your fingers begin to land reliably in the right places.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Automotive pin-stripe tape is great!

Fayew3
    Participant

Great Scott, thank you!! Incredible video.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

You are most welcome, Faye!   🙂   Hope you found it helpful.

Just be careful downloading the application from the Google Play store.  I read a number of user reviews that said it was full of spyware and ads.  You can get the app (ad-and spyware -free) directly from the Strings Club if you sign up.  Seems like a pretty good app.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great advice per usual, GS.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in