Gaelic singing!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

This is one of the coolest things I’ve found on YouTube, I really love this style of music, and I like songs that I can’t understand because they’re in a different language a lot better than ones I can’t understand because the singer has poor diction

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Very nice, Gunnar.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I love Julie Fowlis!!!! I listen to her all the time. She sings in a Scottish Gaelic dialect, and while I can sing a few Scottish songs, I find Irish Gaelic easier. You should try it😊

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

You sing Gaelic? Oh wait, I may have seen you do it…. how do you learn it? I would love to sing in Gaelic (or speak it, or anything that makes me feel closer to the Celtic roots I don’t have 😂) so far, I’ve figured out that Aiofe is pronounced ee-fa (that’s as close as I can type it anyway)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds cool!  I’d never get my mouth to work that fast even in English.  It’s cool music, though.

Bob Wood
    Bob Wood

Love it! Thanks, I’ll have to look her up.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Mostly I don’t speak Gaelic at all! I do know a few words, but I learned how to sing most of the songs I know from a Mel Bay book called ‘singing in Irish Gaelic’  by Mary McLaughlin, but I think it’s out of print…

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok cool, I just saw that the online academy of Irish music (oaim) has a course on it, so if I ever seriously start singing and want to do Gaelic, I could use that course

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I’m doing that right now! It’s very helpful!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cool! It’s priced out of my current range (free lessons only) but I may well end up taking several of their courses eventually (hopefully including piano accordion, concertina, Irish whistle, bodhran and uilleann pipes) I’m possibly somewhat ambitious 🤔

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Here’s one I just came across that’s really easy to sing along to. The first line changes, but the last three lines of each time are the same. And the lyrics (or phonetic pronunciation anyway) are on the screen. I’ve been singing it for the last hour

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Very nice Irish folk song. Thanks for posting.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I think it’s actually Scottish, but it’s still awesome!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Ooooops, my bad. “Scottish”. :)

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Aye!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.