Gardenia Waltz

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar John (BGD) 3 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

This is an online fiddle lesson for the tune “Gardenia Waltz.” This song is for my friend Carlos Salazar.

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/gardenia-waltz-fiddle-tune/

Tom Howell
    Participant

wow john, another beautiful song. Your unbelievable. I’m learning more from your site then I’ve learned in 3 months in music school.
    Your teaching is so easy to understand. I’ve almost got the song Ashokan Farwell somewhat mastered. I’ll be sure to post it when I think it’s bearable to listen to, lol
    Keep up all the good work , all the best to you and your family

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

oh gosh… i’m gonna have to learn this one!!! Beautiful!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Been working on this one…very good lesson. I never imagined I could ever begin to play stuff like this!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It is very hard, but worth learning! There are so many things in there that are transferable to other tunes. Post a video when you are able to get all the way through it! John

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll get a video up whenever it’s bearable! As beautiful as the tune is, I’m also hoping to catch a lot of that learnin’ hiding in there for other fiddling situations. I’m just really amazed at the progress I’m making from your lessons…this site is really helpful! I never would’ve even tried some of these things on my own. Thanks for all the thorough, easy-to-grasp lessons!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I had to get away from this because we got so busy I had no time for playing…recently back to it and almost have it up to where I can sit and practice it with the slow play along video. Getting there!

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Cricket, this is a tough one… If you get this learned and recorded, it will be quite an accomplishment!

kevinj
    kevinj
    Participant

Oh man, I read elsewhere about cricket and you talking about Gardenia Waltz, so I just played it. Talk about double stops, huge slides way up and down the neck, slow notes and some syncopated rhythms… You’re right — it’s quite an accomplishment to play this one. One day.

We are so lucky that a player as advanced as John tabs stuff out like this in baby steps so we can have a shot at it. Thanks to you John.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I now use Gardenia Waltz as a warmup thing to try to get into playing in tune etc., but after playing it several times a week for a while now I began to realize there are certain spots that my fingers just cannot seem to manuever…like everything else I play, I’m gradually changing those spots to fit my own hand better, which could give me the possibility of actually being able to really play this one, someday…if I do it my own way. I would love to feel like I could play this one somewhere besides the back porch! Even with my changes, that might be a while.

BVares
    Participant

Thank You so much for showing me this waltz who is one of my favorite by Johnny Gimble.  I hope you gonna show me “Fiddelin around” in the future?

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You’re welcome! I love Johny Gimble. I do plan to teach Fiddlin’ Around!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.