Grassroots Fiddling

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant

I thought some of you might enjoy  this.  If Rock were around, he would recognize the names of the places these fiddle players are from.

Cricket, what do you think of the style?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Didn’t have time to listen to the whole thing yet….but I love what snippets I’ve heard so far…will listen to more tomorrow…too sleepy now…lol.  Love the old styles.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I got through it this morning…yes…they sound pretty old style, to me. Not too fast or hectic or fancy…very nice.  The last contestant sounded more like Texas than the upper south, which I’m guessing they were coming from…but wow…that was some great Texas style she was burning up there!  Good stuff!

Angela
    Participant

Cricket…I didn’t realize I hadn’t heard the last fiddle player on this.  So, I listened to the end.  Yes, she is a rising star and plays in all the fiddle contests around.  Here’s info about her:  http://www.tomorrowsbluegrassstars.org/ivy-phillips/  She played in a lot of the contests at Uncle Dave Macon days.

I met the 3rd fiddle player in a jam group that meets down here.  He is a great grassroots musician.  He just started playing fiddle, I think, but he is awesome on clawhammer banjo.  He also plays guitar and dobro…maybe bass fiddle too.  He has a great ear.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…Ivy is one of those super-human child fiddlers…lol.  There’s seem to be a few of them around…it’s just amazing to me!  Neat that you got to rub elbows with number three…they all sound very good…hope for the fiddling of the future, Hey?  Very old-timey sounding!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great fiddling! The future of bluegrass and old time fiddling in good hands.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Seem to be a lot of child prodigies around these days…I think it’s amazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in