Great Scott's Songwriting Guide

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums The Lion’s Den Composer’s Corner Great Scott's Songwriting Guide

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, Great Scott sent in this to me. It is his brand new fantastic guide to songwriting. It is a large file, but definitely worth the download. Please check it out!

Great Scott’s Guide to Songwriting (2017)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…that was pretty interesting…I think GS does in fact know a lot about song writing.  He pretty much covered it all…well thought out, well written, great pictures inthere too.  I read fast…lol…it’s kinda long, but he pretty much covers everything you could think of pertaining to coming up with good lyrics for a song.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’m still finding great stuff in there. Great Scott, that was a mountain of research, and very well-presented! I’m impressed.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, for sure…like a dissertation on song-writing principles…reading this could save a song writer from a world of troubles and obstacles in taking up this art.  It’s obvious from Scott’s posts he has a well-versed literary background…nice he’s willing to share it so freely.  I’m trying to keep my grammar correct on here in case he reads it…better quit while I’m ahead…IF I am…lol.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Wow and thanks , annnnnnnnnd , downloading baby … yeah ! Sounds like a great trip for great Scott too , thanks for taking the time to connect with us , it s funny your in Tibet I have a Tibetan here at the barn ! We were blessed with fresh fish and will have a good Mother’s Day , thanks for all the info on composing , have a great time !

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments regarding the PDF that John posted on my behalf.  There are many ways to go about writing songs lyrics but I decided to present the way I sometimes go about it.  I don’t always stick to conventions.  I like to break some of them (a lot, in fact) and listen to everyone scream bloody murder, but in the main, I just like being a creative little alien.

I mostly created the ‘tutorial’ for the few members here at BGD who I know are fairly new to song writing.  I thought presenting a straightforward ‘encourager’ / ‘guide’ might help them and get them in a creative mood to start writing their first or second song.  It is a rather long PDF but I wanted to cover as much as I could without it being too short or TOO much longer.

Thanks again to you all for such a positive response. 🙂  You all made my day!!!

P.S.  And yes, Cricket, I am always observing your grammar (everyone’s grammar, in fact!!!)  LOL!!  Though I must confess that I love all beings… unconditionally — as long as they have good grammar.  ROFL!!!!!1

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great Scott, it is a really cool resource for anyone who wants to begin putting lyrics and melodies together. Thank you so much for all the time and hard work. I hope this gets read (and studied) by a lot of people!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in