Great Songs

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

With each Star Singer there are always a great tune that they do that makes all the tunes that came before and after that tune 2nd and third class tunes. wouldn’t it be nice if we had all the Number one tunes from all the Great Artist here at Blue Grass Daddy ? Of course  there is always a matter of different taste where different people would chose a different tune to be number one LOL , Still not all tunes are equal and stand the test of time , to become a standard that everyone wants to do and hear over and over again . So anyone wont to weigh in ???

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a tough question.  Probably my favorite musician of all time would have to be Doc Watson.  My favorite song…I’ll have to think about that…maybe something like Black Jack Davy or something along that line.  My favorite fiddle tune would be Dinah.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Chet Atkins was a national treasure…it absolutely didn’t matter a hill of beans what he played…everything sounded so magical…maybe transcending..

swamper1
    Participant

I agree with you, Cricket. Doc Watson was a national treasure.What a loss to the music world. He could do some picking on that guitar. Dan

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’m far happier with this site being dedicated to learning the fiddle, and with John working toward helping individual students with special requests from time to time, like it is now. I think it gives the site a much more personal experience and enhances learning, as opposed to a long list of arguably “great” songs by successful singers…I’d leave that for another website…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger, I really love Chet’s playing too.  All the fingerstyle guitarists…Merle Travis, etc.  Sure can’t forget Merle Watson, too. There is a great one in Western Ky, Eddie Pennington.  Doc was equally great at flatpicking and fingerpicking, and good on banjo too.  I heard him say one time he never could play the fiddle…he could do ok on mando, but the bow really messed up his ability to do anything on the fiddle…lol.  Hard to believe such a great musician was intimidated by the fiddle!  Dave, I hear ya, that sometimes a board can feel cluttered up with too many topics, but I didn’t see which forum this was put on, but there are appropriate forums here setup for just talk.  I guess just yakking is ok on the right forum, so if somebody goes lookin’ for specific fiddle info they can easily navigate to it…I mean, just my opinion.  I’m one to do plenty of yakkin’ and give out free opinions on almost anything..lol, but I understand some people get worn out with a lot of talk.  Whenever Scott gets back, I’m sure he’ll get us all straightened out.  Message boards can be confusing critters.  I’d much rather talk in person, but online seems to be my major resource anymore.  Hopefully we are on the right forum with this…I just do mobile devices so I only see topics in order of newest ones responded to.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Peggy, I took the OP as wanting all #1 hits by singers as lessons/learning material…I feel that would take away from the focus on fiddle, and the personal approach John is presently using.

For lists of songs, one can always look up billboard #1 hits for many years/genres.

I wouldn’t think of moderating the forum.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Example Faded love is a great fiddle tune with words that has stood the test of time and there’s a lot of beautiful songs out there just like it that could be played as violin solo tunes the violin can bring out the words of a song like no other instrument I am not saying you need to sing them , but words of a beautiful song can feed the soul of the violin and the words of a song in your head helps you to bring out what you wont to hear from the violin , Home Sweet Home , Wagon wheel , Maidens Prayer , Ashokan Farewell has beautiful words, and so on there are songs out there that have never been played solo with the violin but would be just as great as any violin tune out there . I am talking about special number one hits to become possible violin solos that makes your heart sing , using the violin as your voice : I am talking violin !!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Dave, I see what your saying…I didn’t take it to mean it like that.  I figured it was just musician musings.  Steve, your deep appreciation of music and fiddle comes through in your writing here.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Steve, thanks for the explanation,I get your drift now.  Yes, there are some great melodies out there in the song world.

Guess I missed it because it’s a normal part of my playing, and the “star singer” phrase threw me (first things I pictured was Achy Breaky Heart & florida georgia line).  When I recall an old song I like I’ll usually mess around with it some on the fiddle just for a break from my regular practice.  Example: I’ve probably gone through Don’t Be Angry every day since you first posted it just because it was there in my mind.

A couple I’ve recently messed with that come to mind are

George Jones’ Thinking About You

Marty Robbins’ El Paso,

Johnny Duncan on The Last Cheater’s Waltz (has some great fiddle parts already)

A super practice for double-stops is When I stop Dreaming…I believe the Louvin Bros cut it first but many have recorded it.

Of course many are already here on the site also…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Your all welcome , sorry I did not explain myself very well the first time .

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

No worries! It’s not the first written thing I’ve misinterpreted for sure!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Message boards and online discussion are just awkward for communication. Lol…well, we do the best we can online I guess. Sometines it ends up everybody talking about different stuff at the same time and not realizing it.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Someday I would like take a trip up your way and johns , but wanting and doing is two different things , I know it would be fun !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yes…what Steve said

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

In the pop and country world, charting is everything (think “Brandy” by Looking Glass). In the folk music world, however, chart position can be deceiving. For example, Doc Watson’s biggest hit was “Bottle of Wine,” (#73, Country chart) but most of his fans don’t even know that one. Maybe this is a bad example, but how many Grateful Dead fans say that “Touch of Grey” (#9, Pop chart) is their favorite?

When I think of the “Greatest Hits” of folk (bluegrass, old-time, etc.) artists, I tend to think of the ones that stand up to the test of time, and get covered by artist and remain favorites to this day. It would be hard to name Doc’s greatest, but probably my top five would be:

Summertime
    Tennessee Stud
    Deep River Blues
    Greenville Tressle High
    New River Train

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in