Gum Tree Canoe

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is an online fiddle lesson for the old time tune “Gum Tree Canoe” by S. S Steele. This lesson was a special request by BGD member Rteaff. Thanks so much!

See the full post at: Gum Tree Canoe

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha when I was recording this one, it seemed to go on forever. Jennifer asked if it was like the “Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald,” except on a canoe.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Come to think of it, I think it has a similar sound as the WOTEFitzgerald…lol…fortunately a better ending, I guess.  Very cool, John…that’s how I heard John Hartford do it, except I believe he was playing banjo.  It’s really a nice version for getting some good fiddling in there.  Another one for my evergrowing list, that poor ol lonely list I never have time for anymore.  Hopefully one of these days.  I’m thinking the huge sing8ng range required could pose some challenges…would be great to do with a band…one person sing the verse and another sing the chorus part.  Anyway, great lesson…another great lesson!  Hoping I get some time soon so I can try going through this!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Great lesson thanks Rteaff and thanks John I look forward to learning this one !

Participant

Oh my gosh, I love this tune and your singing John!  I have been away for a while but I do like to check in once in a while. Keep up the good work!

Hello everyone on bluegrassdaddy. I hope you are all doing well.

Ann

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Ann, it is great to hear from you! Hope to hear you playing this tune some day. I hope you are doing well.

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in