Gunnar and Fred performed live in Searcy, AR

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Gunnar and Fred performed live in Searcy, AR

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Today, the 6th of April, Gunnar Salyer and yours truly met each other in person and performed at the Evan Urley Performing Arts Center in Searcy, AR! (Okay, it was only just the two of us in the parking lot but we had a super great time. lol.)

Gunnar played one of my fiddles (the 1834 one) and one of his (an unusual-shaped fiddle with great tone and projection). I played his banjo and he played his dobro and we picked some Bluegrass.

I enjoyed every moment with him as I figured I would after having “known” him on BGD for a couple of years now.

I’ll be uploading pictures as I’m sure Gunnar will, too. Stay tuned.   🙂

• This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by FrederickFrederick.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by FrederickFrederick.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Notice Gunnar’s wrists. One is holding the bow perfectly and the other is straight and poised perfectly for getting notes with a minimum of effort. Way to go, Gunnar!

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by FrederickFrederick.
    fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Great! Wonderful that you two found it possible to meet up!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow!  Now that sounds thrilling!  Happy you guys got together.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks Dave and Peggy. I’ve got a few more pictures but with my pea-sized brain, it’s so difficult to upload a simple picture (jpg) on this site.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I wouldn’t dare think of your brain as any sort of legume, Fred…lol…there’s gotta be an enormous buncha smart up there, going by the stuff you’ve done.  You hit that little mountain thing, the last icon in the row of icons in the text box, then put the photo in the space it gives you, then you have to wait a few minutes (probably more like seconds, but it seems like a long time), to see the photo and then hit “submit” and the photo is there.  If I’m remembering right…it’s tricky getting a photo on this site.  Hope you can show us more with your meeting with Gunnar!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Gunnar plays “Chinese Breakdown” in the key of D like a pro!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks a bunch, Peggy. I’m just too impatient. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

I hear ya…I am too.  Technology drives me batty, and at the same time I depend on it for 100 percent of my connection with the world as far as music goes…which makes me even more at odds with how technology yanks me around…lol.

Did Gunnar bring all of his instruments along?

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here’s his banjo, Dobro, fiddle and accordian. He may of had some other instruments in the trunk. 🙂

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

KCan’t wait to see videos !!!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Sorry, Nancy. Neither one of us thought to take videos. That would have been really nice, too. Drat it. Oh well, maybe next time. 🙂

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

That’s really cool you guys got together! It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

We sure did, Maria. I hope I get to see him again some time. 🙂

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here’s another picture of Gunnar playing fiddle:

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Peggy says: “I hear ya…I am too. Technology drives me batty, and at the same time I depend on it for 100 percent of my connection with the world as far as music goes…which makes me even more at odds with how technology yanks me around…lol.”

Sorry, Peggy, I forgot to respond to you earlier post. I absolutely understand your thoughts about technology yanking one around. Been yanked so hard I hurt all over! I think I’m finally getting a little handle on latency. Time will tell.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Is his case for two fiddles???  Or am I seeing that wrong?  Anyway…cool Gunnar photos…

Good luck with the Battle of the Latency…may the force be with you.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I think he’s trying out Freds’ fiddle.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Peggy and Dave. Dave’s right, Gunnar’s playing my 1834 fiddle and my French fiddle is waiting patiently in the case. (it’s tuned in AEAC#). I played Black Mountain Rag with it while Gunnar played his fiddle along with me, later on.

The fiddle that Gunnar had with him has an unusual shape and kind of sounds like a Baroque instrument to me anyways. Gunnar’s amazing with all the instruments he plays!

He’s enjoying himself in Nashville at present at Banjo Ben’s Banjo Camp.

The Battle of Latency in the year 2021! lol

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

I only got a couple pictures, I’ll try and upload soon.

I just realized I haven’t been on here in a while, but I’m still alive and fiddling. It was really cool to get to meet Fred!

I’ve been having a lot of fun in Nashville and North Georgia too

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.