Guns, drugs, bad neighbors, and bad attitudes.

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Guns, drugs, bad neighbors, and bad attitudes.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Icebike Icebike 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Moving the off-topic conversation from the “General Help” forum over to here and posting some of the comments.  Feel free to add your comments to this thread, if you wish.

Cricket wrote:

We have new neighbors in a house that sat empty for years, and they apparently like big parties where they all yell and scream obscentites into the wee hours of the morning, so I guess we won’t ever sleep again…honestly, I can’t take banjo playing this early after little sleep…lol. More coffee!  I hope the neighbors move away and leave that house vacant again soon…this is another reason we have never made friends in 30 years up here…I just don’t get the lifestyles…lol.  The way they have fun…it’s just flatout weird.  I gotta feel mor awake before I can listen to bluegrass banjo…lol.

Well the neighbors apparently did some property damage to their own place last night…lol…ok…weird.  The last few neighbors were always od-ing, having cops, ambulances, fights, etc., going all the time…ugh…it wqs nice when it sat empty for a few years.

John replied:

Cricket, maybe your neighbors need to hear a little fiddle and banjo music at 5:00 AM to help them start their day…

Fred replied:

Fred spoke about cleaning his guns and them going off at 6 AM.

Cricket replied:

As to playing or shooting at 5 or 6 in the morning…it’s tempting. My daughter, who lives close enough to the house with the new neighbors, wanted to do that very thing…I’m like…no…most of our neighbors stay drunk and on drugs and have big semi automatic weapons (where on earth they get the money for that???? We have guns, but mainly what was passed down, which are little bitty things intended for hunting, shooting at targets, slowly…lol…not bang bang bang, but more like…bang…clickety click, bang, clickety click…etc. Plus we keep ours locked up and never shoot in a populated area…ain’t smart to do it.) We had bought the house daughter lives in now on auction for 7,000…several years ago…just to try to stop the drug dealing and prostitution, cops, ambulances, screaming, shooting, deaths, etc., that were a regular occurrence right next door to us. We were gonna tear it down, but daughter wanted to fix it up…it had no drywall…that was all ripped out (a good thing since they had cooked meth in there), no wiring, no plumbing, no flooring, foundation falling apart, etc. So we put it all together again over the course of several years, about ten, also fixing up other houses up and down the road in different states for relatives who had hard luck and coulnd’t do it for themselves…whew…don’t like that. Now daughter lives in the house…the one next door to her had the same issues and then sat empty for years. We tried to buy it at auction, but even though it was in horrible condition, it sold for 40, 000…lol…no way. Some guy bought it, worked on it for three or four years to flip…sold it for 100, 000 ( this is not a 100,000 neighborhood)…these guys just bought it and so far it’s been a bad thing…lol. Seeing that they are tearing it up already, I’m figuring we won’t be putting up with them for too long.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Charming neighborhood.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t mean to condemn people for whatever situations they find themselves involved in…I just don’t like being all squooshed up in the middle of it…lol.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Geez, Cricket!  I am sure they are just your average run-of-the-mill warm and friendly close family who just like to get together and express themselves.  Nothin’ wrong with a li’l bit of shoot-’em-up and rip-it-apart kinda fun.   🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Cricket, we should love everyone, irrespective of their zip code; bank balance; employment status; dental plan; political persuasion; lifestyle; skin color; or ethnicity. We should carry those who can not walk.  We should feed those who hunger.  We should speak up for the voiceless.  We should protect those who are violated.  And we should love those who do not love us…

But there just ain’t no way on this hallowed earth that we should be forced to love a… a… a… REDNECK!!   🙂

Of course, y’all know I’m only kiddin’.  Despite somewone’s outward appearance, their attitude towards others, their simplicity, their upbringing, or, the choices and lifestyles they lead, they, like every thing on this planet, deserves to be embraced with UNCONDITIONAL love.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

there were different kinds of people and community where we used to live.  Here where we are now…it’s sharply divided into socio economic categories…we came up from poverty, and didn’t get too far, although we are very proud and happy with our accomplishments.  But, we fit in with the shoot em up (both guns and drugs), be crazy, wreckless and irresponsible community…the higher ups don’t rub elbows with anybody who fits where we do.  Back where we used to live, poverty was so widespread and all encompassing you had a vast assortment of educational levels and responsibility levels, etc., and not big groups of wreckless communities.  We had many friends who had phds…many friends who coudln’t read, yet the assimilation was there and seemed to just be more of a sense of community, personal pride and responsibility.  It’s different here.  I guess one explanation as to how come I’ve never made any friends…i don’t like running around in all this traffic and sprawl, but my home is open to anyone who would want to come visit, play music, talk and have coffee, etc., but…it just ain’t that way here.  It’s different here.  I don’t condemn them, because I don’t understand them…no idea why they do what they do.  I stay isolated and confused…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I know know if anyone else has had this experience… I have been to Europe twice; once to England and once to Switzerland. Both times I visited public places and camped in crowded campgrounds. At first I was put off by the proximity of the camping spaces. I’m used to large tent sites separated by bushes, and the European campgounds are just rows of tents in a field. However, I was soon delighted by how polite and respectful everyone was at campgrounds. No one raised their voices, played loud music, or left dog poop on the ground. Everyone settled down for the night at quiet time. It was something I did not expect after many poor experiences camping here in the states. I think there is just something about the independent American spirit that keeps us from being totally respectful of other humans in public places. Has anyone else noticed that, or am I totally off base?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know, that’s interesting to hear, though.  I know around here if you go to the big hardware stores, you can tell the Amish from the regular Americans…I mean, of course they dress Amish, but besides that, they act very respectful…if you’re in the same aisle, trying to look at something, they step out of your way and acknowledge you’re both there in the same spot, etc.  I mean, they just seem more respectful and polite and realize we are all sharing that store, sharing that space…not shoving, acting all irrtated or stalling in front of where people need to go, etc.  We never saw Amish people down in the mountains, but seems from my memory everybody acted Amish…lol.  Anyway, up here I only see them in hardware stores and they seem to have an entirely different attitude…I don’t know that much about them, just something I noticed.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Boy if you all didn’t hit a nerve with me. Uugh. . . I think most of American society is headed downhill fast. We must have similar neighbors to you Cricket. A very nice house, but evidently the owner put the house on the market for section 8 housing which means the government pays your rent. We live in a rural area. . . dead end dirt road 2 miles from the closest 1 store, and we love it. Our neighbors have no vehicle so no transportation so no job. I don’t understand why one would move out of town and have no transportation. My husband is retired so he keeps an eye on the house and neighborhood and these folks go nowhere. 2 school age kids that never go to school.  Social services has visited them several times.  Our county is the poorest in North Carolina, but people won’t work because they make more by getting government checks. And these people know how to work the system. And the parents, or guardians of the kids, train them up in the way of welfare.  And I see no desire for self-improvement. Kids are allowed to behave anyway they want with no discipline. I see this in the retail world.  You can purchase candy, chips, gum, and soda with food stamps. It really just disgusts me. I have a friend in England we visited a few years ago, and the people we saw were polite and educated. I have come across quite a few people that ask me a question at work and I literally cannot understand what they are saying because of poor  pronunciation of words. Some days society just bums me out.  And even the younger generation is so dependent on technology they have no critical thinking skills.  I take an interstate road about 20 minutes to work, unless for heavy traffic or construction I will take a back road. Anyway, my assistant manager travels the same route ( I thought) so I was checking traffic conditions before I headed home, so I asked him if traffic was backed up on the interstate.  He said he didn’t know, so I asked if he came to work on the interstate or on the back road. He said he didn’t  know.  And FYI. . there is only one interstate in our area. . not even a bypass.  So I asked what road he took to get to work. He said he didn’t know, he just put the address in his phone and followed it.  And just 2 days ago I asked if he took the first exit or the second exit into town. . .of course he didn’t know. I said well, there is construction on the exit ramp at the 2nd exit, so was there construction at your exit ramp? His response was “what is an exit ramp?”  I just gave up. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…oh gosh.  Well, sorry you are dealing with it all.  I personally think our country does not place any value on education…I don’t mean education for the sake of any particular job…that’s one kind of education, but I mean on the type of education where you just learn to be civilized, have a sense of community, have a sense of personal responsibility, empathy and respect for humanity and the planet we live on, etc.  I think that seems totally lacking.  If you don’t have all of that, you just give up and stay high, I guess.  You can get a specific education for a job, which helps lots of people (haircutting degree, mechanic or plumbling certification, etc.), but I’ve seen where in lots of cases people get the jobs but still just don’t see the personal responsibility beyond the job, or maybe even on the job itself.  They can’t pay bills…they party, go off on vacations, buy expensive stuff, but can’t pay their regular bills.  They just don’t know how to apply that responsibility…like…you get paid, you pay bills first, then if you have any left for fun, you do that only then, and not necessarily at all, just sometimes maybe.  It’s a wreckless, irresponsible attitude all around, which I think makes people feel hopeless and divorced from society and community enough to sit around, take drugs, destroy stuff, etc.  My opinion…educate.  Draw people in with knowledge, accomplishment, and awareness…give them reason to be proud…reason to get involved.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Yes Cricket

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m glad we got that one figured out, Fran.  Now, what’s next?  Lol…we can solve the world’s troubles, I’m sure.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Interesting comment about your European travel experiences, John. I just returned from a 2-week camping trip in the Yukon Territory.  I thought I was on another planet. Everyone was friendly and I had more spontaneous conversations with strangers than I ever have at home.  Drivers were all courteous, especially on the more challenging roads – and they waved to each other.  There were no obvious signs of vandalism or litter anywhere ever I went. The few folks in the campgrounds were all respectful, waved, and kept any noise low.  Alaska use to be like that, but it has really changed over the years.  I know there are many small communities across the U.S that still have folks who respect everyone, but it sure seems to be changing.

Joe

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in