Gut Wound strings for fiddle tunes & Bluegrass?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Gut Wound strings for fiddle tunes & Bluegrass?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Has anyone here on the forum ever purposely used gut-wound strings for Bluegrass and/or Old-Time for their dark tone. You know, to get away from the treble-ness (new word coined on this date, 2018) of synthetic strings?

I’m thinking of doing something like that with one of my fiddles and trying it to see if it “beautifies” the tone radically away from the treble side of the sound spectrum.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Haven’t tried, but if you do, I’d like to hear it.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

The more research I do, the more I’m becoming interested in the Corelli Alliance Vivace string set. It isn’t gut but closely resembles it with a darker tone. I think I’ll try a set. My Zyex lasted a year but they became too bright after a while, like the Helicores do after wear in.

Anyone have any experience with the Vivace’s?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

It seems like the more these new Helicores wear in the more metallic-y they are sounding. Makes me wonder if that’s why I got such a deal on them….hummm? ($29.00 a set)

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I ordered a set of gut strings, but I only have one good working 4/4 fiddle right now, so I haven’t tried them yet.  Remember, you always have to do something before you do something…so that’s what I run into.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Those strings are pretty costly, aren’t they?  Are they supposed to last a long time?  Rodger, you gotta get your ducks and somethings in a row, you know.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

One time there was a formation of 4 big arctic cranes flew over real low, in an offset line like they do, and right in the middle of the line was this small goose.  It’s obvious what had happened.  The goose had been orphaned or separated when he was very young, and got mixed in with the Cranes and grew up with them.  They could sense he would have a hard time keeping up since he was so much smaller, so they were really taking special care of him.  I raised a flock of geese one year & vowed I’d never do it again.  They have more human like emotions than any other creature, except for possibly some dogs.  I just couldn’t handle it when it came to having to deal with them as farm commodities.  Why am I talking about this?…well you brought up ‘ducks in a row’, of course.  Fred, I kind of wonder if gut strings would have very poor response for fast fiddling, but maybe that would only be an issue for M. Cleveland playing tempos.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, I would like to try the Corelli Alliance Vivace strings, but I just don’t have the guts.

Rodger, I have played gut wound strings and they are more flexible than the steel strings. I prefer steel, but that may just be what I am accustomed to.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket: Yes, those strings are costly. I don’t know how long they will last, but if I can get 6 months, I’ll be happy with the purchase.

John, you have a wonderful sense of humor!

Roger: I know what you’re saying about response time for gut strings, but when I hear professional violinists playing fast movements in the Classics, they are performing 1/32 notes at breakneck speeds and the strings are keeping up with them…so I’m hoping they’ll keep up with me at my much reduced attack on them. lol

I think the concern will be about stability in remaining in tune. But, the Vivace’s aren’t really gut strings.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Whose guts are we dealing with here?  Don’t they have man-made guts yet?  Like they have man-made horsehair…and man-made leather.  Well anyway, speaking of Tagelharpas, you make your own strings for that instrument by twisting horse hair into tiny rope…that’s your string.  Of course, though, you stop the string by pressing it against mid-air, like you do with a washtub bass, so I guess they can be floppy and do fine.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread…oops.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Tagelharpas strings may not have anything to do with this thread but by goodness you had the guts to bring them up in conversation, didn’t you?

Perhaps we could call them “internal fortitude” strings! lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds so much classier, doesn’t it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in