Hallelujah I'm Ready and Nothing but grace

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Tune-specific help and comments Request a Lesson! Hallelujah I'm Ready and Nothing but grace

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 5 days ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Nsam19
    Participant

Would anyone have any tutorial or tabs for this songs below:

Nothing but Grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2_cVzNIcLU

Hallelujah I’m Ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5cyjEtwZA

Or something similar to this one

Thanks

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Nsam19
    Participant

Does any one have any help to give me?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Nsam19, I am a little familiar with “Halleluja I’m Ready to Go”. When I can muster a little time, I’ll walk you through some of it. Enough to get you started but it wont be a video, just audio. It may help some. I’m willing to try. Fred

Nsam19
    Participant

Thank you very much

I’ve been looking for sheet music for it but i haven’t found any.

I greatly appreciate any help

Also I’m trying to start fiddling  I can only play sheet music stuff :(

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

When I went to music school (yes they had music schools when I was young, lol) one of the classes I had to take was a class in which the instructor would sit at the piano with the keyboard facing away from the class. He would strike a note and call on each student to name the note when it was his/her turn.

As student’s were able to demonstrate their abilities to name an individual note, the instructor would then play a random interval away from the first note and ask each class member what the interval was.

For example a D above middle C and an F# above F# above middle C.

A few of us (myself included) had prepared for this kind of situation by studying intervals on our own before entering college. The study of the sounds formed by differing intervals is so very helpful to train your “ears” to hear what is transpiring musically.

(Here’s how I would solve the test above: The F# is consonant with the D note. I would start at Do, Re, Me and stop right there realizing that the Me is an octave above and solve the question like that).

Let me ask you a few questions to begin with:

Have you worked at all with identifying intervals between notes? For example, could you distinguish a D below a G in the key of G? I’m asking you these questions so that I can tailor my help most directly to any weak spots you might have. Have you worked with scales in the simpler keys like C and G?

“Halleluja…” is in G on the video above. This is a good key to learn it in.

I’ll start tomorrow. (I have to play tonight). It’ll be fun.

Fred.

Who knows, we may even get a few of these others that are very talented to pitch in. (pun intended)

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thank you very much

I have worked with all the major scales my main strengths are G, C, D and A but I’ve played all but I’ve never worked with identifying notes but I could identify notes just a little bit since I’ve played the bass guitar by ear before but I’m not any good by ear with the violin

The best playing by ear is if I’ve got only the violin and I know what key a song is in I can do some basic stuff by ear but If if it’s tabbed or sheet music I can play almost any piece

Thanks

Lol

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Nsam19: You can open this picture under a new tab and enlarge it while you listen to the upcoming audio discussion about improvising.

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thank you very much!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a discussion that may help you some.

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thank you very much.  I’ll try practicing this basic piece for now then i’ll try adding the embellishments.  I haven’t really done this before so I’ll begin with the double stopping and hammer on’s.

The fancy scales is where I get confused a bit

I’ve got two questions for now:

The third in key of G would that be C?

The final scale about 3:30 in the video what scale did you use?

Thanks much

I greatly appreciate

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Nsam19: The interval from G to B is a major third.

The G Scale
    Key of G major is founded on a “G” scale. Notice I said “Major”. There is also a “Minor”.

I’ll describe the “major” for now. Beginning on “G”, move one full step above in pitch to the note “A”. Notice that there is a note between G and A. This note is a half-step from our beginning note G. It is called “G Sharp”. “G Sharp” is enharmonically the same as “A-Flat”. So now we’ve determined that there are half-steps and whole-steps in a scale. We’ve also determined that there are notes called “sharps” and other notes called “flats”. A “Major” scale is built by combining whole -and half -steps together in a certain sequence.

I like to remember the sequence this way: “Two wholes, a half, three holes, a half.” So the first segment would be “two wholes and a half”, or G,A,B (The interval G to A is the first whole and A to B is the second whole) and the half is from B to C. The concluding segment of the G scale would be “Three wholes and a half” or C, D, E, F# and the half up to G. (C to D is a whole, D to E is our second whole, E to F would only be a half step and our scale calls for a whole step here, so we have to raise this note (Sharpen) to an F# to get the required spacing of that whole note and then we finalize the scale with a half step from the F# to the G. Thus, the “G scale” ends up: G A(B C)D E(F# G). (half steps shown in parentheses)

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay thanks

Sorry about that.  I made a mistake in the notes.  I counted the notes without G in so I started A as 1 then B as 2 …

Also would you’ve got some time or know somewhere I can get some good resources on country or bluegrassy licks that I could incorporate into the song?

Or in G, D, A, or C

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Nsam19.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I have the ending lick all set to post on this forum but every time I try to post a new picture, the same old picture that I first posted comes up. So, I’m unable to help you until someone fixes whatever problem there is going on with loading different photos.

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay

Have you tried re uploading?

Nsam19
    Participant

Or could you post to another discussion ?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s the lick. I don’t really know what happened, but I finally got it to work.

Nsam19
    Participant

Thank you very much

I’ll definitely use it

Would you know of any place or resource that I could use to learn some new country or bluegrass licks?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Mostly from jam sessions with other fiddlers and somewhat from studying Bluegrass fiddle books. I made a couple of videos helping another member here. I’ll see if I can find them and paste them here:

(This thread has at least 3 videos involved that may help)

Noodling the Stops

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Nsam19
    Participant

I don’t know of any fiddlers near me.  If you know of any good books could you please let me know

Thanks for all your help!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

You’re welcome.

Unfortunately, I do not have a fiddle book in the house. I’m in the process of moving back to Tennessee from Arkansas and my books have already left. (Actually I had only one with me and that was for Old-Tyme fiddlin’.)

I have a lot of fiddle books scattered all over NY and TN. I wish I could remember some of them for you. I’ll go online and see if I can recognize any of the good ones………

• Bluegrass Fiddle Styles by Kenny Kosek;
    • Bluegrass Fiddle by Gene Lowinger;
    • The Craig Duncan Master Fiddle Solo Collection.

These are all available on Amazon. Probably the best is by Craig Duncan. (But they’re all good).

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Angela
    Participant

Fred,

This is excellent!  Thanks for the video and the transcription.  I love learning new licks from you.  :^)

Nsam19
    Participant

Thanks for all your help

I appreciate

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You both Nsam19 and Angela. I might put a few Bluegrass licks on here in musical notes since you both read. I might start a new thread to do it though. I just kinda gotta get caught up and I’ll do something to share some Bluegrass with y’all. :)

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Nsam19, I’ve created another thread so as not to hijack your thread. You might be interested in it. It has a bunch of Bluegrass fiddle licks in it. It’s titled Intro to Bluegrass Licks in Various Keys (or something like that).

Fred.

Nsam19
    Participant

Okay I’ll check on it

Thanks much

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

My pleasure, Nsam19.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.