Happy Thanksgiving!

This topic contains 43 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I’m looking forward to visiting my Grandma Gabriel back home in Sherrill’s Ford. She will be 100 next year! Here is a photo I took at last weekend’s concert that she attended. She is holding her youngest great-grandchild; Ben’s daughter Callie Grace.

I will be missing my Grandma Cockman, who is in heaven. I hope you all have a wonderful time visiting family and loved ones. I am thankful for each of you! John

Angela
    Participant

Such a sweet picture.  Happy Thanksgiving to you, John, and your whole family.  You have been an indescribable blessing to me.  I appreciate your talents and your work on this lesson site more than you know.  It really is one of the things for which I am truly thankful.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all my BGD cohorts…I am thankful for you, as well!

Joe
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving to you John and everyone else,  we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Happy thanksgiving to everyone . You and this site is a blessing to me also without it I would not have progressed to where I am today . I feel really good about my progress thanks !!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving, BGDaddy friends, and the BGDaddy himself.  Hope it’s a wonderful holiday for everyone.  John, your grandmother does not look her age! It’s great she and the little one can share their holiday.  Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday…I like the simplicity of getting family together for a meal…no presents, no decorations, just cook a big meal and be happy and thankful for the good people and good things in your life.  I’ve got all my prep work and cooking done, so…easy for me tomorrow…heat ‘n eat!

Stay safe, everyone.  I’m thankful for all my BGD friendships!

kjdebolt
    Participant

I thank God for all the blessings this year has brought.  And for all the wonderful people who make up this great site.  Have a very Blessed Holdiay tomorrow.  fill it with memories.

fiddler51
    fiddler51
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving John and All…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I already ate too much…anybody else?  Feel like I’m gonna explode…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

LOL me too. It was a wonderful time. One grandma, two children, eleven grandchildren, twenty-one great-grandchildren, five great-great-grandchildren, and lots of spouses and friends. Oh, and did I mention the food?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Me too Cricket My eyes are always bigger than my stomach . I started with tater salad for breakfast . Then at noon had the whole round of everything , then pie , Suffered through that then did it again after 5:00 pm . looks like there’s gonna be three more days of it , hope I can get past it . LOL My Mom always let us take all we wanted but insisted we eat all we take , and to this day I feel guilty if I don’t eat all I take , so I do ‘ I eat all I take and somehow with all my past experience I still take a little to much . Ha , Ha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah I always eat however much I pile on.  What gets me is the stuffing… we all love it and about make ourselves sick on it.  It’s a lot of work to make ( because I make special bread for it first, then go through all sorts of other things ), but I only make it on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then we all eat way, way too much of it from having to wait for a year to get it…besides all the other stuff and usually two or three kinds of pie after that…ugh.,,just too much.  Too much good stuff!  I remember growing up my step grandpaw made oyster stuffing …oh gosh…since I was three I started just making myself sick with stuffing.  Once he died, we never had oyster stuffing again, and to this day I’ve never had it.  Nobody really knew exactly how he made it, apparently.  I’ve always been afraid to try to make it…but I sure remember how good it was.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Its sad the recipe is lost . There’s always someone leaving this world taking their recipe with them . But we still have the memories .

Angela
    Participant

Cricket, I don’t know if it’s the same, but we made it when I was growing up. It was real easy.  Crushed saltines, layer of oysters, salt and pepper, pats of butter. Repeat. Then pour on enough milk to get the whole bowl damp. Cook at 350 for about 30 mins (I think). I hadn’t thought about that for a long time. Might have to make some.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, are you sure you really want to know how he made that?  At least you liked it.  Things that have been lost to me is Granpap’s horseradish & the other Grandads’s Limburger cheese.  (& the corn mash of course).

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I have no idea what he made it from…Angela, maybe you got it…I don’t know…he died when I was twelve and it seemed the women made all the other stuff, cooked the turkey, etc., but for sone crazy reason he conjured up the stuffing and put it inside the turkey…as a child to me it seemed like some big mystery.  But I’ve never had anything like it.  Now I can’t eat regular wheat products, so I make a bread from rice flour, which is a big pain to make the right way, then I just use olive oil to sauté onions, celery and carrots, through in sage and rosemary plus a little thyme and salt…then cook chicken thighs to get some heavy broth to toss that into and bake separate on its own in a casserole dish…now they say we’ll all get salmonella if we stuff a turkey…but anyway…I guess my step grandpaw, or “Paw,” as we knew him…I guess maybe it’s best in my mind that the memories of the oyster stuffing are pretty much immersed in pixie dust…lol.  He used to make the ice cream too…he’d have me sit down on top of the ice cream maker so he could crank it.  Rodger, I’m ok making my own horseradish, but, we had the Limburger cheese too, and I can promise you I don’t wanna learn to make that….lol.  I should add, My folks never called me by my name, they all used little nicknames…Paw called me “Pistol.”  It was never peggy, it was just Pistol.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Pie for breakfast, pie for lunch…this has gotta change…lol!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I never heard my legal name either.  All I heard was ‘Lightning’, which was a sarcastic name that originated over my lack of enthusiasm walking to school in a horrible downpour of rain one day.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Were you walking slowly through the storm…sounds like.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

…It was the only time I ever remember anyone stopping to give me a ride to school. I’d rather be in the rain than in school & it was like the storm of the year….& yes, they seemed to think I’d be in more of a hurry to keep from getting soaked.  Seems like the names that stayed permanent were from the most obscure events, and/or something very sarcastic.  We usually never really knew the origins of these names of others.  But these names that just happened like this were more likely to stick than someones birth name.  Seems like thats the way it otta be too.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s funny the way nicknames get started. We have a friend with a two-year old named Sudie Patience, where Sudie is an old nickname for Suzannah. However, my daughter called her Su-pat once and now she won’t accept any other name. 🙂

It is sad how recipes become lost. My Grandma Cockman made a large biscuit that no one in the family has ever been able to replicate. She would break it up for us and we would eat it in a bowl of buttermilk with a little sugar. I really miss that.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

At least there’s the memory of the big biscuit…but, yeah, you can only think of that for the rest of your life.   Harriet Arnow Simpson, the KY author and historian, said many times the same about fiddle tunes…she mainly talked about how destruction of communities for the sake of progress shattered not only the people who comprised the community, but all was lost as they broke apart and relocated.  Still, just that modern life seems to go forward without looking back, many cultural things are left behind.  I guess one of the things we can all be thankful for are the folks who made an effort to keep ahold of the old tunes before they faded away.  One of the big ones was the guy ( can’t think if his name at the moment…lol…getting old!) who saved the tunes lying in the back burners of Henry Reed’s mind…most of those tunes are very popular among old time fiddlers today, but were fast dying in with Henry Reed’s own generation.  Interesting about the names, Rodger…I never knew why I was called by one thing or another…just seemed like to me it made me think they loved me a bunch if they bothered to invent a name besides my own.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Alan Jabbour was his name!!! I’m so happy he took the time and effort, and happy Henry Reed tried, after many decades, to get these fiddle tunes back up and playing so Alan Jabbour could record them.  Of course, there’s been many collectors who went around saving old folk music so the rest of it can enjoy it in this day and age of absolutely horrible commercial music (lol…sorry for inserting my opinion here)! Even Henry Ford, the car maker, did a lot to save old time fiddling. But here’s the Henry Reed collection…I believe Alan Jabbour recently passed away…these two saved a lot of old time fiddle tunes.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/henry-reed-fiddle-tunes/about-this-collection/

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Alan Jabbour did such a great service to old-time music. Cricket, what a great segue from lost recipes to lost music.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah it turned out that way, didn’t it?  Purely by accident…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Great Scott would be proud. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We done good!  I wish he’d come back and see how good we are.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Boy, grandma looks great!  She doesn’t look 99!

Nicknames,  mine was tuffy.  I didn’t know why til I was older but it seems my uncle and a friend of his was playing catch with me when his friend had to leave he got in the car and put his hands up and my uncle threw me to him through the car window.  He missed and it busted my head open and they started calling me tuffy because I didn’t cry.  Maybe that’s what is wrong with me today!  🙂

We got to see Deb’s mom over the thanksgiving week and she didn’t know us,  she didn’t know anyone in the house,  she didn’t know it was her house!  She was happy all the time though!  That is a terrible derned old disease!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Alzheimer’s is scary, for sure.  Mike’s mom had it the last twelve years of her life and it was horrible to watch her just lose everything and everybody…we would visit her, but she never understood who we were or what we were doing there.  Sorry to hear your mother-in-law is going through it.  Rough on the family. After going through that, we all fear ever getting it, ourselves.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, and Rock…I always figure a few good bumps on the head just makes ya smarter!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Yea,  it is an awful disease for sure!  My mom had it bad,  she turned angry and mean a lot.  I don’t wish it on anyone!

Smarter,  I don’t know about that!  LOL

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Cricket,  I thought about you when I went around Cincinnati.  I remember you talked about the interstate and you were in North Ky.  Of course there is a lot of real estate in north Ky.  🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You might’ve been close…which interstate were you on?  There’s a bunch where they all sort of come together in ky and our little neighborhood is sorta crammed up together in the woods between interstates…us and tons if wildlife…all crammed up here…lol.  But I couldn’t stand to live anywhere else around here…it’s quirky, but I could never live in the subdivisions or towns.  You mighta been close and if so…next visit let me know and we’ll have a candy bar and a jam session…lol.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

71, 75 and 275 under Cincinnati,  Did you say candy bar!!!!  🙂

We stopped on the way to Deb’s mom’s house and got a puppy.  I never heard of giving so much for a dog but anyway now for the training,  EEK!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Rock Rock.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well you were close.  Yes, give me a holler if you’re close by and have the time…I’ll tune up the instruments and get the chocolate ready!  Where did you buy the puppy from?  What kinda puppy…what’d ya name it?

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Deb bought it from Premier pets in Johnstown Ohio,  it was on our way.  It’s called a teddy bear,  I don’t know what breed it is.  She hasn’t named it yet,  can’t decide.  haha!  All I know is she likes it,  so it’s all good.  🙂

It will be summer before we get back that way,  if it’s sooner it won’t be a good trip because something bad will have happened.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I hope you all have fun with new doggie!

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

FUN!  I’m just the bum that has to train her!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

She’ll always love you as her daddy, Rock!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Tuffy; I like that one. That’s a hard-earned nickname. I’m sorry to hear about Deb’s mom. I’m glad you got to go see her.

OK You have to send pics of the new puppy. What is her name?

Rock
    Rock
    Participant
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in