Hardanger Fiddle

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

This is unique.  It has 4 or sometimes 5 strings under the playing strings whose purpose is only to resonate.  He mentions at least 9 different traditional tunings.  To me it’s an acquired sound quality.  Definitely interesting, beautiful instrument.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think it’s the same thing as used to play “Me and My Fiddle,” isn’t it?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I mean, maybe sorta…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

No, it’s different.  all the strings on Michaels fiddle go on top the bridge and are played.  On the Hardanger the extra strings are under the bridge and only resonate with the harmonics…they aren’t played.

Wow…Michael again!  I can’t understand why they don’t have some pro’s doing the filming with good equipment and get these event’s for posterity.  So many of the really great performances, just like with Randy Howard, the quality of the video could be much better.  There will always be great players, but not all these events will be duplicated for sure.  One thing that can never be duplicated is the awe & wonder of the other musicians backing him up.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

They came to the local library and played a free concert ( free to public…I’m sure library paid)… I got there early and looked at the mic setup then sat in the first seat directly in front of him.  They played that one too…made the same jokes…but it was really funny.  His playing blew me totally away.  Yeah…I see now though the strings are sympathetic drones on the Hardanger.   I wonder if they both came from the sane idea?   Sorta?

At airport in Finland now, send a link with Fanitullen and a Hardangerfiddle:) Welknown tune🎶🎻

I see now Rodger find it at my another post.

this is another tune Kjempe Jo = Gigant Jo. Played by Ann Bjørg Lien

Hardangerfiddle also was forbidden in old age, cause they think it was linked to the devil and was the devils instrument! Happy it secretly keep liveing.

Fanitullen = Devils tune

Little about Hardangerfiddle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_fiddle?wprov=sfti1

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Some people in my neck if the woods thought the fiddle was linked to the devil too…crazy.  I think that’s how they got to singing the words to Back Up and Push…lyrics saying there is good in the fiddle…lol.  Crazy how those kinda ideas get going and sometimes become oppressive and used to stop people from having good innocent fun.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Folks around here still jokingly refer to the fiddle as the “Devil’s Box,” going back to a time when the fiddle was banned in some local communities.

The Hardanger fiddle is quite an amazing invention.

So fiddleplayers always been loved but also scared and hated by the people in power! Maybe because the people dance, enjoy, smile, laught and follow the magic from the fiddle 🤠🎶🎻

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s it, Boerge!  Fiddlers just have way to much power to make people feel good!

Well Rodger, now I have projects This fall and winter 🙂

Start preapare my dearest a Hardanger fiddle, but have to Wait cause a Ok one cost ca 2500 USD

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Definitely a challenge Boerge…we could work on this music 24 hours a days and still be behind…hard to decide where to focus our limited time & energy…& every time we add something new to the mix (like a Hardanger) it only gets more challenging!   For me the recording/software learning curve  is also adding to the challenges…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’d love to get one of those Hardangers one if these days…looks so cool.  I’m still waiting for the day I can order a pocket-cello-bowed dulcimer from Kenneth, ummm…forgot his name right now, down in Pilot Mt. NC, where the great musicians are born and raised.  It’s something like this hardanger, I believe…has resonating drones plus bowed strings… not to mention I would love to get my hands on a mando and also a viola…let’s see…hmmm…that’s gonna take several 24 days to try to get comfortable with those instruments!  I love them all and would have them all and do not much besides playing them, if I could!  Never enough time for all the big ideas I entertain.  Anyway, wishing you the best with your goals on this, Boerge!  The fun never stops!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

The Hardinger is definitely a cool instrument. I can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in