Help! YouTube blocked my video

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Help! YouTube blocked my video

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hey guys I need some help. I just uploaded a video of myself playing hotel California on guitar, (fingerstyle, no singing) and it’s been blocked by YouTube. What should I do? There’s a bunch of similar videos I’ve seen that aren’t blocked, and I want mine unblocked. I don’t monetize, and I’m lucky to get twenty views. Any suggestions?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Do you have a link so somebody can look and see if it’s really blocked from a viewer?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve gotten warnings from youtube before…like when I recoreded one instrument with my cell phone and then recorded over my own youtube with another instrument…but viewers could watch…they just had some warning that I was violating groundhog peggy’s youtube or something.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh wait, I just found it in my email…they won’t let me watch because it was blocked by soemthing or other publishing.  I guess it’s safer to stay with traditional tunes or something.  I’ve done some Jean Ritchie songs and it went on…I guess if that particular publisher got onto youtube about that song, you’re just not allowed to do it.  That’s frustrating, isn’t it?  Especially since you’re not trying to rake in money or anything.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Here’s a link

It’ll probably say video unavailable

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I posted this in the other thread, but I’ll post here too

It was blocked under the content ID, which technically is a compliment, cuz it means i played it well enough to be recognized by a computer. Anyway, YouTube filed the claim on behalf of the owners, and apparently they can either: do nothing (would that make my video unblocked? No clue), or they can monetize my video (which would be pointless since I don’t get many views), or they could ask me to stop, or they can take the video down. It’s frustrating, but hopefully it’ll get resolved soon

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You need to appeal to YouTube that this is you singing a cover of the song.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You need to appeal to YouTube that this is you singing a cover of the song.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I wasn’t singing, I play it instrumental. How do I appeal though?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The only way I’ve ever been able to figure out how to do anything on youtube was to watch youtube videos on how to do whatever on youtube…so…I’d say hunt for a video on youtube showing how to appeal a blocked video on youtube and see if somebody can point out the steps you need to take.  That’s where I’d start, anyway.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah, that’s probably what I’ll have to do

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well I managed to submit an appeal, the copyright holders now have thirty days to review it

Terry Sylvester
    Participant

If you played well enough to get blocked, I’d like to say “congatulations” 🙂

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks Terry, I’ve been thinking the same 😂😂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

What a compliment from youtube, hey?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, it’s been unblocked, I had disputed the claim, and today someone commented on the video, calling it to my attention. I’ll post it on my alliterated G thread for guitar

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…congrats, Gunnar!  I saw it was up there when I just put up my rock bustin’ video…lol.  Gottta run back out to work but I can’t wait until I get time later to watch yours.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m glad you finally got your video up…lots of work in that one, for sure.  If I didn’t know better, i’d think you’ve been playing guitar for a lot more years than your age!  Really nice playing!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

I’ve said it a million times before:  YT sucks!!!  They are a bunch of twats!

Gunnar, if you want to post your stuff on a truly great site then create an account over at Vimeo.com

This is a website for creative people:  People making music, people playing music, film makers, etc… all kinds of artistic people posting stuff on Vimeo.  John posts his vidz on his Vimeo page.  Ed posts his vidz there as well.

So, if you are the creative type…

VIMEO WANTS YOU!

You might also like to look at Dailymotion.com as an alternative to the “UselessTube”.

I really shouldn’t suggest them because they deleted my account and never told me why the deleted it.  I think they got all hot and flustered when I posted my “Teddy’s Head” video clip.  All original content by me.  It was a smidgen frightening but some might say that those people who own the daily motion are a bunch of sissies and couldn’t handle it — bless their little hearts.

The UselessTube?????? Seriously!  Why do people keep posting their vidz on there a keep putting up with all their bully boy, draconian tactics.  I don’t support monsters who want to rule the world.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks Cricket!

Scott, unfortunately YouTube is ubiquitous and they already rule the world. I might make a vimeo account, I’ll think about it, but it probably will have to wait till I’m back in the states.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I agree with Gunnar…youtube is just out there by now…kinda like Amazon…you might not like them, but for the moment, they rule.

Scott…I think stuff than can be construed as hinting on violent (even if it’s just humor) can sometimes not be accepted well because of the violent age we live in now.  So many insidious threats of all kinds, people can’t tell the dangerous crazies from the funny crazies.  I guess we live in a time when we all have reason to be afraid of each other.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah, I figure they probably already have access to anything I’m doing, I’m not doing anything illegal, and if they wanted my information they’d have it by now so I don’t worry about it. My electronics will never be completely hack proof unless I spent every waking hour keeping up with tech security, or threw it all away, and I don’t fancy either option, so my stuff will never be completely hack proof. So I may as well use the services they provide while I’m waiting for them to do whatever it is that they are going to do with all that information

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Cricket, I guess you have a point (if you were referring to my “Teddy’s Head” video.)  But honestly:  Any one with any intelligence who viewed that video  could tell right away that it was a simple and creative piece in the genre of horror. What got under my skin was that the DM people didn’t have the decency to tell me why they deleted my account.  I only suspected that it might have been that particular video that got me deleted. There was no mention of any thing to suggest why my account got deleted.  All I got (when I tried to log in)  was a notification that  my account had been terminated. So many worse and more offensive videos on that particular site that are still up there and not been taken down.  I wash my hands of that lot over at DM.

Gunnar wrote:

“So I may as well use the services they provide while I’m waiting for them to do whatever it is that they are going to do with all that information.”

Gunnar, some of these corporations say that they collect your personal information so that they can tailor a service that better suits you.  Well, that’s like the fox telling the farmer that it only wants access to the hen house so that it can better protect the hens.  Yeah, right!!!!!!

The bottom line is that they (the big corps / future world rulers) collect everyone’s private information (metadata) so that they can use it against them some time down the track.  If people keep feeding the monster then it will only grow bigger and bigger and then devour them.

Gunnar, I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed listening to your rendition of “Motel California”  (I purposely changed the title to avoid being blocked by the “Uselesstube” monster.   🙂

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I’m pretty sure they can’t get me out here, cuz there’s not enough technology to support a technical attack, and they can’t send anyone here to get me, cuz no one will come.

Thanks for the compliments

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Let’s face it though…if you use a computer at all, all of your info is out there.  Even if you don’t use a computer.  I remember my mom was against computers because she said then you have no privacy because all of your stuff in out there.  I showed her, a non computer owner or user, her name online, all the places she’d ever lived in, her age, her relatives, and a picture and location of her house.  I’m like…”Sorry, Mom, nothing’s private anymore, so you might as well jump in and enjoy using a computer, because you lost your privacy already.”  We all have.  Anybody can look you up and know all about you now.  I mean, I don’t know much about coypright, what your’e allowed to do, etc., but seems to me if you aren’t threatening anybody or stealing by collecting income off of somebody else’s work, you should be ok.  I remember once when we were way behind on our college loans…we barely ate…both had jobs, no phone, no food…I mean…they didn’t always pay minimum wage where we were, etc.  Some collection agency had contacted us through the mail…I went to a phone booth in town and called them to try to explain…they threatened to come to take all of our possessions…I agreed, knowing we had missed a few payments on the college loan, fair enough, I said…I will meet you when you get there…I waited all day the day they said they’d come, thinking I’d help them load up our stuff.  Then one of our freinds dropped in and said…” You think they want this broken down furniture you sit on so they can pay to haul it to some dump?”  Well they never came…when we got back to where we could eat besides what we could catch in the river or have canned from the garden, we went back to paying the college loans, which we finally paid off just before retiring…and nobody ever came for our garbage -poverty stuff we lived in.  So…they can threaten…but it doesn’t mean much unless you’ve got something they would consider valuable.  It’s usually just a matter of greed…the special kind of greed of the rich.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think I took it off topic again…

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I went ahead and got a Vimeo account. I’ve only made one video using it but it seems like a nice outfit.

Nancy Bitter
    Nancy Bitter
    Participant

So Cricket–

How are you posing your videos then???  I have sooo much trouble with you tube but dont really understand the link posted a long time ago on how to upload my video.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Fred, Congrats on starting your Vimeo account.  I am sure you’ll get to really enjoy that site.  The Vim people seem to be a good bunch.  There are a lot of creative videos on there if ever you have some free time and want to scoot around the site for an hour or two.  And you’ll never know how you’ll run into over there.    🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Nancy, I just play my music and convert it from the wav file it goes into from recording to an mp3 file, by hitting the “convert to mp3” on itunes while the wav is highlighted.  Apparently this step might not be necessary…I thought youtube only took mp3s but Fred tells me he leaves his a wav files, so, next time I might try that.  But anyway, once I get myself an mp3 file, I get onto the movie maker that comes with windows computers.  I upload a photo (my worst problem with this is my computer hides my photos now and I have to just use the same old photos over and over because I can’t find my newer ones) to movie maker…then I copy and paste that image that goes into the box on the right of the big picture, the smaller image of the photo…I keep copying and pasting until it’s got enough for, like 2 minutes if my mp3 is 2 minutes, or however long the mp3 is…the number of minutes/seconds you’ve got covered as you continue to copy and paste the image of the photo appears underneath the big photo on the left.  Once you get what looks like a filmstrip of the same photo for enough minutes to cover the length of the mp3, then you go to where it says add music from computer…go to that and find the folder you have the mp3 in…then you hit save project as…give it a name…I always call it something like, Turkey in the Straw, the Movie…then hit save movie for computer.  It goes through a big saving thing and let’s you watch it and/or save it …from there you go to youtube and upload that video.

Kinda hard to explain, but let me know if that’s not clear.  my husband figured all that out for me or i never woulda had a clue how to do that. Let me know if it doesn’t make sense.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Scott. I’ll get on over there pretty soon.

Cricket, When I load a picture into movie maker, I’m able to hold my mouse over it and stretch it all the way to the right to the end of the recording, rather than have to keep copying and pasting the same photo. I’m not sure that’s what you’re talking about but that’s the way I’m understanding your process. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh yeah…that’s probably a better way, Fred.  I’m telling ya…I have zero technical skill…lol.  If there’s a tedious or hard way to do it, that’s how I end up doing it!  Thanks…I’ll try that next time plus I’ll try leaving it as a wav file too.  If there is a next time…I’m about fed up with recording stuff for youtube…it seems like throwing your stuff up to bash it against a brick wall…then moving forward to repeat that process.  I’m thinking I’d rather just play one instrument at a time on the porch and let it resonate out naturally into the atmosphere…rather than smashing it into the cyberspace wall of youtube…lol.  Cyberspace has me feeling bummed out…it’s just not real…I’d like real life for a change.  Guess i could go back to the local bluegrass jam…but it was a long drive through bad traffic and never fun since i don’t play bluegrass…lol…so…uhhhhh…maybe just the porch.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Gosh, Cricket, I sure wish there was a way for you to meet real people musicians and play with them. From my little world I get a lot of music playing and look forward to practicing in my off time and having fun with the Audacity free recorder, etc. I’ve been doing a lot of other projects lately (creating seminars on electrical code changes that I will present in NYS this spring) and going for drives with my photographer wife

https://www.frederickwarner.com/marys-photos.html

who loves cameras at least as much as I love music!

I like to practice tunes for a little while, not too long, and then play them on the recorder and see how they come out. If they pass a very simple test, I put them on YouTube so that I will be able to check out my channel later on as I begin to forget them again and be able to refresh my mind on how the tunes go. Seems crazy, but it works. lol

Right now I’m driving myself crazy trying to remember how I played a certain jig that I’ll post here as soon as I can remember how I used to play it. It’s coming, but it’s slow.

I’m beginning to slow down and I want to stay active mentally and I’m finding posting all these tunes is good therapy. 🙂

Good luck to you Cricket. I really appreciate all you do on this forum as I’m sure so many others do, too.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Re: Fred’s last statement,

I do also

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Fred and Gunnar.  I had a serious discussion with my toothbrush today…he’s ok now though…lol.

Ok, well it sounds like you’re staying busy, Fred…very good.  I have forgotten so many tunes I played back in the olden days, you know, when the dinosaurs roamed and they didn’t have cell phones yet…it just takes something, some conversation or something to jar up my memory to where I’ll think of an old song.

Cool that your wife loves cameras…my daughter loves them too.  They have too many buttons and gadget-adjusting devices for me, but I do like seeing what people can do with them.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

“you know, when the dinosaurs roamed and they didn’t have cell phones yet…”

What…the dinosaurs didn’t have cell phones? ???                              (lol)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Only the ones who appeared on The Flintstones.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.