Here's a question for y'all…I'm curious…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Here's a question for y'all…I'm curious…

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Here’s my curious question:  Do you play along with youtubes?

No, never.

Sometimes.

Everytime I watch a youtube.

“Other, ” lol…my favorite answer most of the time…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well yes, quite a bit.  I have a whole folder of youtubes I’ve copied to learn. It’s always songs I know but not well enough to play every note & the youtubes help me with that, as well as give me a great arrangement of the song to learn.  Especially the old songs, I might just know one line.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I do sometimes and find it very productive.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

I don’t play along with, You Tube videos, but, I do use them to learn new tunes. I really like that you can slow the videos down, on the tricky parts, to figure them out…

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Most of my Winter is spent learning from slowed down mp3’s I get by extracting the music from Youtube videos.

I have yet to find a performance that I can play along with without slowing it down.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I did’t know you could extract an mp3 from a youtube…I would ask how, but I’m afraid of an involved process that would instantly lose me.  Yes, it’s good you can slow youtubes down.  Usually if I play along, I do slow them down…I just like to relax when I play, and I like slower rather than faster…it’s just a nice “state of strum” to play slowly…and if you don’t know the tune that much, it makes it easier to stumble along finding the notes, or similar enough notes.  I don’t play with youtubes much these days, because usually I’m watdhing in a scenario where I’m wearing earbuds and being quiet…lol…but I used to, and I’ll get back to doing it one of these days.  A while back I had planned to make my own play along youtubes, for something I could have to do when time allows, but time never allowed to settle into making those youtubes…I had wanted to leave out the fiddle, so I could have fun just playing along.  For whatever reason, the fiddling is the most fun…the other stuff ain’t as much fun for me.  I couldn’t figure out if I should leave out the singning, put in a harmony vocal only…I mean, that would sound pretty weird on youtube if anybody else ran across it…just a harmonizing voice…lol.  I also thought about doing a capella choir kinda stuff and leave out a voice I thought I might enjoy singing…but…well, I haven’t done anything like that…just thinking about it all the time.  Sort of a jam… not just a jam track, but a virtual jam.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Like all things internet I’m sure there’s a million ways to do it, but the one I use and find very easy is called Freemake Video Downloader.  I use the free version.  Once you get it up & running Cricket, virtually all you do is copy the youtube url address by highlighting the youtube url in your browser address bar by right clicking on it and hit copy.  Then with Freemake  running there’s a button that says ‘Paste URL’.  Just left click on that button & nothing will pop up, it just starts downloading, & you may think nothing is happening at first, but as soon as you click on that button it starts.  I expected the window to pop up that says ‘Paste’, but it just does it without that step when you hit that button.  When it’s done you have the option to save it to a folder on your hard drive.

I like having these on my hard drive so I don’t have to go into youtube everytime to view them.  It’s probably easier than turning on your coffee pot.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I run Mac X Video Converter Pro on my macbook. It was either free or very inexpensive (or I wouldn’t have it).

Mine operates ’bout how roger explained his…very simple & gives me the choice of saving w/video, audio only, or both.

It’s far easier than uploading a video to Youtube for me.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…why am I always the last person to find out about this sorta stuff…easier than the coffee pot…I can do THAT!  You know I can operate a coffee pot…lol.  I don’t have a Mac, but I might be able to try what Rodger said…one of these days…first, I’ll make the coffee.  Thanks, guys…I didn’t know about this stuff.

RSQ4x4
    Participant

Yes!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

they make Video converter Pro for Windows as well…free download…

https://download.cnet.com/Video-Converter-Pro/3000-2194_4-75915406.html

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Dave.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Youtube is my muse! I also love Spotify. Youtube has its own nifty slow-down feature that I use a LOT.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know what spotify is, but maybe I should check into it.  I do love youtube though…if only TV could be as good as youtube…lol.  We mainly use our TV in our house to cast youtubes to watch…there is NOTHING, EVER on TV that’s ever worth watching…except old Andy Griffith shows, if you can catch them.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I use Spotify as an app on my phone. It’s a radio! I also cast it to my Sonos speaker in the kitchen.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

I use Spotify on my I-pad to play along with which will link with the amazing slow downer app on my I-pad for the songs I need to slow down to keep up with.  I have Pandora on my phone.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

YouTube has been a great help to me with many songs and have gotten to use it daily.   Just picked up spotify for use in the car to get familiar with some songs for a bit being scratching them out myself.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I have made a dvd of tunes I can play along with and I play my violin to them at my shows that I play solo at the senior citizen centers  , most of them are Johns performance tunes of waltz’s , which gives me twin fiddles and better , I had five couples dancing last time I played , I make sure my violin is dominate /louder so they know I am doing it for real  !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds like a great way to do a gig, Steve.  Kinda hard to make it fun  just playing alone.  I saw this guy playing at a festival in Louisville that Annie and I were invited to play at too…a long, long time ago, several years back…Strawberry Fest…anyway, he had everything on an ipad…He had pre-recorded singing tracks and other instruments (this was before I had unboxed my presonus…I bought it as I retired, but just didn’t get the chance to open it up and mess with it by this time), which I found fascinating, then it was all set up for a 45 minute gig on the ipad, on some app he had on there, so he just played guitar and sang the lead vocals. I was so impressed I asked him all about that after he was done…it sounded like you’d have to have a bunch of equipment and technical skills, but he sure sounded good.  He said you have to be very careful doing the gig or if you get mixed up and find yourself in the wrong place it takes forever to figure out how to jump back in.  I can imagine…lol.  Something you’d have to watch out for.  Anyway, it sounds like a great idea for having a fun and interesting gig.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket The DVD has 10 tunes on it I have a binder set up with the tunes 1 through 10 so I can skip a head to say 8 on the DVD and turn to page 8 in the binder , I know exactly where I am almost all the tunes are instrumental a few I can also sing if I wont to , a lot of times Johns lessons are in the wrong key for me to sing along with so I have to get john to make me a performance track in the right key , anyway it’s not complicated any DVD will show how many tunes you have on it and as long as you have a index of the tunes one through whatever , then there’s no problem knowing which tune your fixing to play !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well using a DVD sounds less likely to get you lost than that ipad app that one guy had…although it was impressive.  Anyway…I feel i’m getting so burnt out with technology anyway…I was gonna make a new thread, but the only title I could think would have been something like…NOOOOOO, NOOOO, OH NO!  Because I try to work on my Presonus on Fridays if I can…today I got to it and BLAM…computer acting insane and ruined what little bit I had gotten done.  I was doing Boatman…anybody play that one?  It’s fun to play on fiddle, especially if you just slow it down and have an easy going pace and get into fun bowing on that thing…anyway, no Presonus for me…just a messed up computer…why?  Ugh…then we spent the rest of the afternoon fiddling with the computer instead of the fiddle…finally…my collard greens are about cooked and I guess I’ll just start on the rest of supper.  No music for me today.  I’m about fed up with technology.  I’d love it if I just knew some real humans in the flesh who would like to play the same tunes and songs that I know, not killer, lightning speed Bluegrass songs in B all the time…lol…like the local jams here that cost money to go to and are a drive through traffic, etc.  That just ain’t fun for me.  But…real humans playing music together sounds like something better than all this frustrating technical stuff…guess I’m so frustrated with it I might just be better off frying up a chicken or something and trying to wipe music from my brain.  there have been many times in my life I have wanted to just give up music entirely…once I went 7 years without playing anything…after we moved up here.  I feel I’m getting back to that point…lol…time to cook supper and get my mind on something else, hey?  Oh gosh, it just shouldn’t be this frustrating to play a few fiddle tunes and old songs.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I finally just did a back porch version of Boatman today…lol…kinda, well, boring by itself without having other instruments…but I couldn’t think of a way to play them all at the same time…kinda fun too though. I used to be happy enough with that…I guess I’m pretty much spoiled now. Gotta get that Presonus back up and running again!

Kody Foster
    Kody Foster
    Participant

I’ve come to the conclusion that I learn better slowing it down on YouTube or Amazing Slow Downer and learning note by note. It slicks with me longer. Tabs are easy to read  but I tend to rush through it and forget it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

For me tab can be a very useful tool, but if I actually use it to learn something, i will never remember how to play it and never feel like i really know it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in