Hosting a jam….advice?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Hosting a jam….advice?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So has anyone in this forum ever hosted a bluegrass jam? What would you need to do so? I really want to have folks over to just “Safely” sit around and jam. Social media has all sorts of photos uploaded of folks jamming “6 ft apart” in somebody’s  pasture… underneath a huge pine-tree at a camp site… and quite frankly, I’m envious.

My husband and I have about  3 acres… plenty of room to hold a handful of musicians. We have a carport of sorts that we can bring a fan to, and has lights. It’s not right next to the house though (bathroom facilities). My next thought would be just off the back porch. Our porch could hold maybe 3 people and their instruments, but not much room for more. We have no shade in our back yard though. I suppose we could get some tent/canopy of sorts. We’ve plenty of lanterns.

So have any of you ever hosted? What did you do? How did it turn out?

TIA

Lisa

cricketcricket
    Participant

I hope somebody knows…or you could just sorta go “by ear,” and figure it out as you do it.  If I knew somebody who wanted to jam, which I don’t…lol, I’d just invite them over to our tiny house and/or yard and see what we could enjoy playing together.  Of course, that wouldn’t work during covid times…you can’t get very far away from anybody in our place.  Anyway, hope you can figure it all out…let us know if you manage to host a jam at your place!  Sounds like fun if you end up doing it.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You should do that! I think the carport is a good idea. Put chairs in a wide circle, and make sure there is plenty of room for anyone to come and go whithout getting on top of someone else. Start will invitation-only then grow it!

Participant

Well….update on the jam that never was lol

talking with the man that normally headed up the jam at our Council on Aging, he liked the idea of having a jam, but thought it best for him to host it at his house. I’d go alone for that. Then, at the last minute, three of the main people had to quarantine themselves.
    so, the next step I took was in our local FB group. Asked if there was a jam already established basically, and if I could join. Large responses of, “great idea! I’d love to listen! Let us know when and where!”

Talk about deer in the headlight moments!

There were a few pickers that responded with a, “Me too, let’s get together”

Details so far: show up Saturday at the local park with lawn chair in one hand, instrument in the other, and let’s see what happens.

I’m nervous, no telling who, if anyone, will show. We’ll see!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Did you have the jam yesterday?

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

We have been having a few small ones at different houses and just keep it simple.  Invite a few friends and remind them to social-distance.  If the weather is good we just set up a few chairs around the yard and folks move them around and sit where they are comfortable.  If the weather acts up, we open the garage door, push aside the mess, and space out inside and under the eaves. I haven’t attended a large jam lately, but the small informal ones are no fuss and a lot of fun.

Participant

@Cricket…no jam yet. Hopefully this Saturday. I’m nervous, thinking about all the “what if’s”, and I know my mind needs renewing. A couple of other gals are as excited as I am. It’ll be as it should be! 🎶🎻🎵🙏🏻

I like the idea of opening up the garage and just push in amid the mess. That may be what I do, one the weather gets cooler…

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well it sounds like fun.  I hope y’all can do it and enjoy it very much.  I sure wish I knew somebody who was interested.  Our house is so tiny it would have to be after covid is controlled…our yard isn’t very big either and most of it is hillside where you can’t place a chair on it…lol.  Anyway, hope you can do it and enjoy it, maybe even get some regular jam started.  Wouldn’t that be cool?

Participant

I’ll start by saying that I’m of the opinion that very well-spaced, out-0f-doors  interactions in groups of five or less, with people you know, and who have no additional risk factors, are probably ok.  I’ll also add that this is specifically for locales where gatherings of this size are allowed and/or advised.  Your thoughts and situations may vary.

We’ve started a bit of jamming.  Daylight hours, outside, spaced further a part than is ideal for hearing each other, but much better than nothing.  We are not allowed inside the house, even to pee, so it has cut down on our beer drinking considerably!  Also,  we’ve been jamming with the same core group whom I know well…so it’s a slow extension of our covid bubble.  I don’t think I’d feel comfortable in an open jam setting, interacting with folks I don’t know well, or don’t know how they’ve been interacting with others during this time of covid.  A couple of our friends, whom with we regularly jam during normal times, have additional health-risk issues, so they have wisely chosen to sit out this experiment.   I don’t know what we are going to do once it starts getting darker and colder.  We are not in a situation here yet where indoor gatherings is advised.

Finally, I’ll add that I currently do not interact with any individuals who are at risk (I am not the caretaker for an elderly parent with health issues, for example).  I probably would not choose to jam right now if I regularly interacted with such.

Participant

Well, our jam went okay tonight. Only 3 people showed up, but it was okay. I had posted in our local county group that I wouldn’t be able to make it, and one of the gals said that she thought a lot of folks took that to be it was canceled. I wound up going, and jammed with my friend and her buddy. Under a pavilion,  since it’d been raining off and on all day, there was a WONDERFUL breeze to keep the temps down and bugs away. Even had someone from the local paper come and want to do a story about it! She said to let her know next time and she’d come out.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Lisa, sounds like a great time.  Our small jams lately have been ranging from 2 to 5 people.  Hopefully, in the future, when people get more comfortable, the participation will grow again.

John, we are fortunate to be rural, with woods or fields beyond the houses and barns, so our moderate beer intake has not been affected.

Joe

Participant

Ha!  That’s funny Joe.  I will point out that us city folks are not above using whatever bush might be handy, but I don’t want to over pee my welcome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.