How a pencil could save you money on strings

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things How a pencil could save you money on strings

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by The future streetfiddler! The future streetfiddler! 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Do you have a pencil?

See below😊

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

BUt who can afford a pencil?   Lol…yes, that’s a great idea…I always do that.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’ve used pencil graphite on my bridges and fingerboard nuts for many years now. It truly does act as a lubricant allowing the strings to pass over the bridge and fingerboard nut with less abrasive friction tearing away at the bottom of the string as it passes.

I also try to remember to clean my strings off after each playing session, whether practice or performance.

This may sound a bit selfish, but I also try – in clever little covert ways – to minimize oily-fingered fiddler wannabees gaining access to my favorite fiddles. I’ve found over the years that oily fingers, their residue left uncleaned, will kill strings faster than Clark Kent can change clothes.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I do that too!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Am I the only one that was not aware of the “pencil”?  😳

Then again – “I” have never changed my strings.  I always find  someone else to do it for me.  I just purchased some Pirazzi strings for my back-up fiddle; and mow must wait until I get back home  to have them put on my fiddle.   🙁

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I learned to change fiddle strings by watching a video…thank goodness for having my PhD in YouTube-aholic-ism…lol…it’s how I learn to do anything! I get nervous changing str8ngs, though…fiddles make me nervous … too much to go wrong!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Me too !

I do long time,  but learn it from Daniel aswell🤠

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in