How are you looking through your L-Den submissions?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? How are you looking through your L-Den submissions?

This topic contains 52 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey all you guys…how are you planning to tally up your Lion’s Den submissions?  I was wondering…do we go through the Lion’s Den and poke around…or i just thought go through my youtube channel and poke around…well I decided maybe it might be easier to poke around my youtube channel…and so i found my, I guess what was my first submission for the year…I read in my description this was the first time I tried fiddling it and planned to sing it and play it on my presonus soon, but of course promptly forgot all about that and never thought of the tune again until I found my first thing for 2019 just now…lol.  Anyway…what was your first submission of the year…what do you think about it now?  I wish I woulda gone on to record this with some singing, etc. although anymore I just doin’t like doing murder ballads that much…seems we live in too violent a society to make them interesting and novel…anyhow, also, I’m kinda sorry I don’t just get on that phone camera and do more things just live instead of presonus only, but I’m very uncamera, or whatcha callit…unphotogenic and uncomfortable on camera or video…but I wish I’d do more live stuff…then there’s the problem of having to do only one thing at a time…so…yeah it’s kinda something I just don’t do hardly at all, or if I do, I delete them the first time i run across them.  Anyhow…here was my very first submission of the year, Down in the Willow Garden…and maybe it should become one of the last ones of this year on the presonus too…easy to fiddle and fun to play…just that it’s a gruesome murder ballad…lol.  Nice fiddle tune, though…and, well here’s how I started off the year…So…who else wants to share their first 2019 posting…and what are your thoughts on it by now?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I just went to my profile and checked “topics Started”

I entered one  into the Den earlier :

Northern Accent

But the first I played something new on fiddle on was Virginia Darlin”

I’ve improved on it through the Summer and enjoy playing it, but it still challenges me.

Most of the things I put up are what I have just learned, so unless I ignore  them, they get better as tie passes.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

ok…I’m not familiar with finding things like that on my profile…I’ll have to try and see…thanks, Dave.  Virginia Darlin’ sounded good…I just love the double stops.  You’ll have to give us an update one of these days when you can get to it.  I love the sound.

Well I really would like to do more things live, but then it’s just one instrument and the intimidation of having a red light on my face…lol…that might sorta become a new goal for me, but not sure I will live up to that.

I’ll have to try various ways of keeping track of my L-D submissions and see which one will be the best way…

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

on this page

top right is a box:  “Account Management”

use the link:  “forum profile”

On left under your picture use link  “topics started”

it’s fairly easy form there to scroll through and find what you posted.

hope this helps..

I’d love to be able to make split screen videos with different instruments…but I have no idea how they are made and am afraid it might take way too much time editing to get several videos and audios all in sync.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks for those instructions, Dave…I’ll try that later on and see if I can do it!  Yeah…I thought split screen videos would be fun, but I don’t have the foggiest notion how a person does that and I just don’t have time for messin’ with anything that has a big learning curve to tackle first…so…guess that’s on hold, maybe forever…lol.  It’s a cool idea though…I’ve seen a lot of people doing it on youtube.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ll tell you how I did it. I sent a message to one of my computer nerd friends and said, “hey can you edit this video for me?” And they said sure no problem. That was in June. I just talked to him a couple days ago and he said I need to film everything again 🤦‍♂️ but it should hopefully be done pretty soon

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds like the best way, Gunnar!  So, then, are we gonna get to see it soon?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hopefully!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think it’d be interesting to look over our first tune of 2019 and our last one of the year…why am I obsessed with that idea…????  LOL…well, it could be interesting.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

My first tune I posted wasn’t that long ago. So should be an easy find. lol

In fact I don’t feel since I haven’t been here that long I should really participate, but I will surely vote on people’s tunes.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

This Year is a small year for me , I have really not done much new but rather trying to improve what I have !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

John, I don’t think it’s ever a vote, I think Great Scott and Mr. Cockman choose the winners based on various categories. And definitely you should participate, it’s about having fun and getting to see how many more videos you posted than Steve….. ok sorry, that’s not what it’s about, but I couldn’t resist…. 😂😂😂 I joined the forum last year in September IIRC, and I think I posted maybe three or four videos, and then was surprised to actually be chosen to receive one of the gift cards. There’s no amount of time you have to participate to qualify, if you showed up mid-December and submitted a video, you’d still be eligible for entry. Usually it’s “automated” by the legendary Great Scott, it’s just this time people have to think about it

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys…it’s fun to participate!  Not as much fun if the candidates aren’t there.  I didn’t do as much this year as I normally do either, just too much other stuff going on and it’s always hard for me to find any time for music…just doesn’t happen for me around here much…but keep in mind, it’s not just quantity, there’s other stuff they look for…improvement, creativity, different stuff…can’t remember what-all at the moment.  It’s just fun.  Fun like the county fair…just fun to see what the judges decide,..fun to watch what happens concerning our friends here.  Remember the Andy Griffith episode where Aunt Bee entered her pickles in the county fair?  LOL…ok, it won’t be that crazy, but it is fun.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Ok, Gunnar.  Wasn’t sure how it worked. So to confirm we post our music posts again somewhere?  I totally forgot how it worked.

Cricket, I hope my fiddle playing isn’t like Aunt Bea’s pickles lol

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

John, they usually do all the work behind the scenes, this year because of internet and time issues, they asked that everyone who submitted videos (or audio) go and make a list of every video and audio they posted, and email it to Mr. Cockman.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Ok. Thanks Gunnar

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, normally they do it all…this year is different.  I spelled Aunt Bea, wrong…lol, I see that now.  John, your spelling is remarkable and your fiddling is way, way beyond Aunt Bea’s pickles…lol…way past that!  Your fiddling is more like Clara’s Blue Ribbon pickles!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’ve been thinking about this, and it seems to me it works out better when they (John and Great Scott) go through the videos/audios and make their choices…seems like people get second thoughts when they are asked to actually submit their videos or audios.  We must be a shy buncha folks here…lol.  That’s like when at the workplace they would never give the highest marks on yearly evaluations because they had a never-give-anybody-a-raise policy…lol…at least at my level of employment.  So when people started saying a raise once in a while would be nice…they started having us evaluate ourselves…yeah…that was awkward…lol.  Something about acknowledging ourselves, just as human beings…seems to make most people feel uncomfortable.  Well anyway, we can do this.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , You do not have to review or judge your stuff , all you have to do is make a list from January to now of each song / tune you have done on / in the lions Den , below is a sample that I summited to John and he responded thank you !

Lions Den this year ,2019
    Steve Srader song selection serious repertoire slow Seniors songs , Ashokan Farewell , Ookpik Waltz , Over the Waves , When You and I were Young Maggie , Lovers Waltz , Arkansas Traveler , Margaret’s Waltz , Old Spinning Wheel , Beer Barrel Polka ,
    Wagon Wheel , Faded Love Break , Westphalia Waltz , Tennessee Waltz , Last Date intermediate , Down Yonder without a lesson , Cowboy Waltz ,

John , I have repeated all of these many times through out the year , I am trying hard to improve and get these right before moving on , I am still not satisfied with most , However I do get a lot of complements and almost half of them I am happy with ! , I just do not want to know a hundred tunes , I have half learned and half baked and I feel if I stick with these till I get them right the future tunes will come easier and be better ! I am working on other tunes I have not shared yet !

Composers Corner = Mississippi Blues By Steve Srader and , In The Book of Life by Steve Srader ,

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I’m with you Cricket! It makes me slightly uncomfortable too…

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

goodness folks…they simply want a list of song so they can share the list in the awards post.

It is a lot of work to look up every song entered this year and identify who posted it, then list it under their name.

Much easier if we each just provide that list for them.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I know, it’s not a big deal and I don’t blame them for needing a little assistance counting them up 😉

No different then submitting your things to the county fair, I guess!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, I’m aware we aren’t being our own judges or anybody else’s or any of that, and I’m aware that it’s no big deal, but just observing discomfort among the participants.  Can’t type on this phone.

Debra Harman
    Debra Harman
    Participant

All the tech talk, and all I wanted to do was listen to your lovely playing. Well done, Cricket.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s so nice, thanks, Debra!  Well, guys, I hope I have time to sit down and get my stuff together…lol…ugh…we can’t seem to get unbusy from one thing long enough to get a breath before the next thing…we are doin’ this retirement thing all wrong, I’m tellin’ ya!  It’s wearing me out.

Angela
    Participant

Just throwing this out here…is there any chance Great Scott and BGD are one and the same???

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…oh gosh…you mean…like Clark Kent and ….. SUPERMAN????????????

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Which one is superman?

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Well, Gunnar, that is debatable. We keep having these silly contests to prove who is the real Superman.  First, Clark (er, I mean John) tries to stop a speeding locomotive; TRIES being the operative word.  He looks pretty wrecked by the end of it.  Not to be intimidated by this, I go and leap a tall building in a single bound.  Easy Peasy!  So, then he goes all macho -like, and stops a speeding bullet: ends up in the hospital for a week.  I sit back and just laugh and keep chewing on my bag of iron nails.  So then he threatens me with a bag of Kryptonite.  I’m tired of all the game-playing, so I snatch up Lois in my big muscular arms and fly off into the sunset with her.  Meanwhile, Clark (er, I mean, John) sits on the front steps of the “Daily Planet” bawling his eyes out, and then goes and has a huge whine about it all to Perry White.  Meanwhile, Jimmy Olsen hides Clark’s (er, I mean, John’s) glasses, and locks all the broom closets.

So, YOU tell ME:  who is the real Superman?

HINT:  I’m the one with the cape and the big “S” on my chest.   🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Angela wrote:

Just throwing this out here…is there any chance Great Scott and BGD are one and the same???

All I can say, Angela, is:

Preposterous!  Absolutely preposterous!!!!

Gu had that same thought a couple years ago.  Naturally, I had to respond and tell him:

Preposterous!  Absolutely preposterous!!!

Where would we ever find the time to be each other, or even one and the same person.  Besides, my talents are much more abundant than his.  That alone, sets us apart!   🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thanks for the unwelcome humor; and for explaining that we are most definitely NOT the same person, GS… er, I mean John… er, I mean GS.  Oh, my!  Now, even I’M confused!   🙁

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thanks Dave, Steve, and Gunnar, for setting it all straight.

Guys and gals:  It really is pretty simple and uncomplicated.  Simply make a list of all the songs / tunes that you have posted in the Lion’s Den and  / or Composer’s Corner forums, and e-Mail that list to John@bluegrassdaddy.com

Great idea, Gunnar to search through your postings via your BGD member profile and search the threads / posts that you have created.

Every past year, I have had to wait until the end of the year (after December 31) for all the Lion’s Den and Composer’s Corner videos / sound clips to have been submitted, and then I have had to go through all the postings in order to compile a list of all the year’s postings — sorting them into named lists of who’s posted what.  It’s exciting, and I enjoy doing this, but it is immensely time consuming.  This year, however (as already explained) my current duties and other commitments will simply not allow me that time to do it and get it all together for the mid-January LD awards. Plus, I am not now always within easy distance of Internet access.  And when I do get ahold of the Internet, it is usually very slow, which makes the collation process very frustrating.  This is why I have asked for your assistance this year.

My humble thanks to you all for understanding.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

In this case, Clark and Superman have been frequently seen in the same location, which keeps the locals genuinely confused! (GS, my dad was just asking about you after our concert this morning — probably proof that my family still likes you more than they like me!)

And listen, catching bullets isn’t easy!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

And please let me say that ALL videos / sound clips posted in the Lion’s Den and / or Composer’s Corner right up until midnight of December 31, will be considered for the Golden Lion Awards night.

Even if you post nothing in those two forums for most of the year, and then post one or ten videos or sound clips in December, OR even if you join BGD a few months before December and begin posting your videos and sound clips, your videos etc, will still be considered for an award or honorable mention on the night of the Golden Lion Awards.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Ha ha!!  How is dad?  Oops!  I mean, how is your dad (and mom) doing?  Please tell them that they and all the fam will hear from me in several weeks.

And don’t worry, John.  I am sure their affections for you run deep.  Silent, but deep. (Am I detecting a persecution complex?)

And yeah, tell me about it.  I know catching bullets ain’t an easy thing to do, but it sure makes for a neat party trick!   🙂

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

No way John and Great Scott are the same they don’t even look alike lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

My thought is anybody with replaceable eyeballs could really be anybody else…just sayin’.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

No, Mr.  Cockman and Great Scott couldn’t possibly be the same! Even if you don’t pay attention to their protests; they’ve a totally different sense of humor and everyone knows you can’t have have two senses of humor, right…?  😉

Great Scott, I’m glad being late doesn’t count against me! Because I’ll definitely be last minute! (I mean 11:59, December 31st kind of late!)

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Kaeleigh, even if you posted a video at one second before midnight on December 31, it will be time stamped, and still within deadline.

And just for the record:  I was diagnosed with a multiple personality disorder, aka Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID).  There are at least eleven of me… us, so the Doctors say, but I am totally unaware of any of the others, even though they can surface at any give point in time.  Comes in handy at Christmas time when we need different voices for our choral group.  I do often get people calling me by a different name and talking to me about stuff that they recently talked about to one of my personalities the day before.  This confuses the heck out of me because I stand there and tell them that I have never seen them before or talked to them.  They look at me in disbelief, and then tell me that I look identical to Joe, or Mike, or Sam or whoever it was that they were taking to.

You might say that I am John’s dark side.   While he is the quiet retiring kind, I’m way out there and in your face.   🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh no…my biggest fear now is….

SCOTT is everybody on BGD site except for me!!!!!!!!

AGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  Tell me you all are not Great Scott!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.