How things used to be…

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? How things used to be…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I thought you might enjoy this…

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/how-things-used-to-be/

Great ScottGreat Scott

This is GREAT John! A blast from the past! Ah, them good ol’ days. How I miss them! I couldn’t see one chin rest or shoulder rest among them — or do I need eye surgery? Very clever men!

cricketcricket
    Participant

This was interesting! I tried to see chinrests but couldn’t make out if they were there or not except the guy who chest fiddled…looked line his fiddle did not gave one. I’ve wondered about this a lot. I’ve really only been playing about 5 1/2 years now, and I’ve been back and forth trying various chin rests and shoulder rests…decided I can’t deal with either, to stop spending money trying them, and don’t use either now. Finally I am playing out in public at jams, and since I already play some banjo and guitar in a local hobby band, I have recently gotten to where I’m beginning to play some fiddle with them too. I’m ok without the chinrests, but in performing I gotta say sweating becomes an issue here… A cloth on the fiddle doesn’t work for me either, so there’s just lots of wiping my neck/jaw and fiddle down between playing stuff. Anyway thanks for the video…it’s fun to watch silent bows and just look at how they were handling them.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Yeah I thought it was a really cool video! Everyone was dressed so well, and there were just so many of them! I would love to have been able to hear that. This video sort of represents the heyday of old time fiddling.

I can’t play without a shoulder rest not that I have gotten used to it, but looking back, I used to be quite comfortable without it, even though my form was much worse (believe it or not). I learned with the fiddle on my chest, and only more recently moved it up to my chin!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.