How to choose between many bows

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things How to choose between many bows

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I found the best video for how to choose a bow that fits best with your violin and yourself very helpful video I’m personally impressed , I will use this lesson in the future at a bow shop !

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    Participant

That was interesting.  Thank you for sharing!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Great link, Steve!

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

interesting, but most of the biggest differences I heard seemed to be when he played a different distance from the bridge.

Very hard to tell though with my crappy computer speaker. I might have to try going through this again with headphones and see what I hear.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Thanks for the link, Steve.  I’ll be amazed if I ever run across a store where I can look at fiddle stuff in person…lol.  I’ve had to just order whatever has been affordable online…so…well I am pretty happy with the stuff I’ve got for now.  But I don’t feel I know much about what I’m looking for unless I can pick up an instrument and try for myself, which never happens here except with guitars.  Thanks for the link…good to know what it is we are looking for, either way.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Dave I have 10 bows , a lot of cheap bows 8 from $50.00 to $100.00 and two that came with my violin I bought from Kennedy violins that are in the $200.00 to $300.00 range two of the eight are wood bows , one is fiberglass , seven are carbon fiber , So for fun I am going to go through them carefully and see using that technique , maybe I will get surprised , the two most expensive are both Coda Bows a prodigy and a diamond NX , I have been using the carbon fiber Coda Bows just because they cost more , But soon after using this system I will report back with what I think , good , bad or ugly !

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’m interested in conducting a test on the 5 bows that I have here with me in Arkansas….(but I already think my Tourte will win. lol)

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Well Fred , let me know I will do my stuff Monday or Tuesday

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Steve & Fred, that’s neat that you can do that with the ones you own!I only have one bow so I’m stuck just comparing fiddles

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Well I narrowed the best four out of 10 bows , One is a cheap wood bow with no name , then a $70.00 Fiddleman bow , then a $300.00 Codabow prodigy and final the $380.00 CodaBow Diamond NX , The wood bow does not even have a name on it but it can go head to head with all of them , There’s not a real noticeable difference between any of the finial four on sound , So now I will spend a week playing all of the top four to see if I favor one more than the others , So it pays to test a lot of bows at a dealer cause some of the cheaper bows are as good , However the Codabow Diamond NX has been played everyday for a long time and had been slipping and I cleaned the hair with Alcohol this week and rosined it , but I think it’s due for a rehair , The other bows had been sitting unused and still new so not sure if the comparison is fair !

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I have five bows here at the house with me. They are 1: carbon fiber bow that I paid $180.00 for many years ago in Osceola at the New York State Fiddler’s Museum; 2: is an aluminum bow made by Heddon for Gibson in 1941; 3: is my Weichold bow that I’ve had forever; 4: is my Tourte bow; and 5: is the latest bow that I was given and can’t read the name that’s stamped in shaft above the frog.

I played half a scale ascending and descending on the E string, then switched bows until all 5 were played. Then I switched to the A string and did the same exact thing. Then the D string and finally the G string.

Here are the results:

1: Heddon Aluminum bow

2: Tourte bow

3: Weichold bow

4: Bow name ending in “and”

5: Carbon fiber bow

My wife took the test with me and we both agreed on every bow.

The surprise was that the aluminum bow won out over the Tourte. That was a BIG surprise.

Earlier, I had offered someone my Heddon bow for $300.00. He almost bought it but backed out. No way now. Not for sale for that price. lol

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred for doing the review I too was surprised and will never buy another bow without comparing first ! So happy Heddon fiddle playing !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.