How to get rid of shoulder tension

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum How to get rid of shoulder tension

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Canadian Fiddler
    Participant

I am finding that when I play a fast tune, my shoulders tense up which makes it difficult to get to the right speed. I would like to find out if this is a common  thing happening to fiddlers, or is it me.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I get it when I’m not relaxing properly. Most often when first learning something…even if it’s very slow.

A short period of rest & stretching,then concentrating on relaxing when playing usually helps.

Relaxation is the key to playing fast. If you’re tensing up you may be pushing your present limit with the piece.

Dave

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I can’t play well after say four tunes without taking a short rest , There is a supplement called Calm which helps after you take it for a while its a powder magnesium it helps relax both mussel  tension and nervousness it helps me ! You can buy it at any Walmart or drug store !

What Does Natural Calm Do?. Natural Calm is a fruity, effervescent drink that promotes healthy magnesium levels and balances calcium intake—helping you to feel less stressed and more relaxed. Good health is all about balance. A delicate balance must be maintained between the levels of magnesium and calcium in your body—especially at a cellular level.

https://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

More on magnesium:

<listen below>

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Dwight Diller, the West Virginia clawhammer player, has often said to play properly your hands, arms, shoulders, etc., should all work together and be as loose as jello.  Of course how you get there is the problem.  Sometimes it’s kind of a mind over matter thing…recognize tension and drop it mentally.   I never tried magnesium…so…maybe that’s the key.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Staying loose is imperative (I think? Is that what that word means?) I usually play best right before I’m asleep (around 9:30)

Fun fact: once you set magnesium on fire, it can’t be put out. At all. Ever. Even if you use water, sand and fire extinguisher. It creates it’s own oxygen as it combusts, so don’t accidentally combust it

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Interesting, fun fact, Gunnar.  So taking a magnesium supplement might go along with sword swallowing ok, but not safe for fire-eaters!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Pretty much!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ve never thought of taking a relaxer! That’s actually not a bad idea. Maybe monkeys are so loose because they eat lots of bananas?

One thing that will relax your right shoulder is to focus on moving the wrist instead of the elbow.

Also make sure that your grip (both hands) is a light as possible. Do not apply more force than is necessary!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in