How would you Do a live Jam via the internet

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? How would you Do a live Jam via the internet

This topic contains 28 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 5 months ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I thought I would try for some input on how hard would it be to join with friends online , and play music and have a jam session ? I know from experience playing PC video games , that lag can be a problem , I am not sure how a person would host it ! Any Ideas , It would be a Fun and exciting thing to do , and give us a reliable place to jam ? We could call it the [ Blue Grass Daddy Opera !]

Great Scott had mentioned the idea in another topic here on BGD ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You can “go live” on youtube…but I no nothing about it or what possibilities that would have.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Sounds too complicated for my li’l pea brain.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

There is a program called Zoom…a web hosting program, that I have participated in Seminars on, that might work for this, but, I am not really a computer whiz.

I have enough trouble just recording a video, with my tablet, and loading it onto Vimeo or Dropbox…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I know what you mean…I love playing, and tehnology helps me, but the technological parts just wear me out.

Joe
    Participant

I know my ex fiddle teacher who lives in Oklahoma and a friend of his that lives in south america did a bunch of YouTube videos together somehow. Here is one example.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Joe.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Some good input For me to check out , My mind vision was for it to be possible for up to eight people to join together live and raw , talk and jam together like virtual reality while actually being in the comfort of your home , So number one , See each other , number two , talk as a group , number three , play and sing as a group live , number Five the majority can boot out a joined person that’s being disruptive to the groups goals , In online video games you can have three friends join you , making it a four some , You can see , move and interact together to defeat the enemy , Anyway I do not think it exist yet , For music lovers , But I do know it could be done !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Joe, If you go back and edit your post and put the youtube link on a line of its own, it’ll function as a clickable link.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fiddle wood Dave great site on that page ! I can definitely see this happening !

https://youtu.be/0wM8koT8bSc

But you don’t have to be a Rock Star to play together on this online music collaboration system. With eJamming, you can be a beginner who just wants to connect with other musicians.
    To jam. Sing and harmonize together.
    Rehearse together. Create together. Even learn some new techniques.
    Or just hang out together.
    Even when your jam mates are 8000 miles apart.

All you need is a computer.
    A broadband connection like a DSL or cable modem (you’ve already got one of those since you’re reading this online).
    Your instrument and a mic.
    And an audio interface* you plug it all into.

And you can jam online with musician friends anywhere. Across town. Across the country. Or if you want to, even across the ocean.

Tabitha Soren reports on eJamming on Bloomberg TV (right after the ad):

SOFTWARE FEATURES:

Up to 4 musicians connect together in a Session
    PC and Mac (sorry, not Linux at this time)
    High Fidelity CD-quality 16-bit live audio
    CD quality recording and playback (44.1 kHz/up to 24 bit)
    Record up to 16 Audio and 16 Midi tracks.
    Near zero latency feel on your instrument in Jam and VRS modes
    Core Audio and ASIO compatibility.
    Check sound card compatibility here: http://ejamming.com/audio-interfaces/
    Exportable .wav and .mid file formats
    New eJamming Port Forward utility opens your ports for you
    Download it at http://portforward.com/ejamming/

*(for you non-techies, an audio interface is your computer’s soundcard or an external piece of hardware you plug your guitar, bass, keyboards, drums or mic into)

Software is FREE to download
    After your 30 Day FREE Trial, Subscriptions are only:

US$9.95 – MONTHLY
    US$24.95 – QUARTERLY (save $20 / year)
    US$89.95 – YEARLY (like getting 3 months FREE)

We accept PAYPAL and AMAZON

Joe
    Participant

Cricket your so clever. I didnt know that.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ve taught some skype lessons, and often I’ll play the guitar for the student to fiddle along. This works great for them — they hear my guitar and play along with it. However, by the time their audio gets back to me, the lag has placed it several beats behind what I am playing. I can’t turn off their audio because I am listening for mistakes. Plus I have to listen to the sound of my own guitar coming back through their microphone to make sure their timing is good. All while trying to keep time and play the right chords with my guitar, several beats ahead of what I am listening to.

Now throw in a few more people and it would really get crazy. I can’t see a live online jam happening until the internet and computer processing speeds really improve.

If you don’t mind blind jamming, there are some programs like eJamming that come close, but I’ve found the latency is still too great for bluegrass speeds.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I know what your talking about ! As I play some video games , and no lag will make you victorious over other players that are experiencing lag as they will be dead , It doe’s not mean your better than them , You just have a extreme unfair advantage  ! LOL

Playing music would require zero lag ang you also need to be able to see everyone !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

This reminds me…once, back when the Oldtimejam.com site was new…I got this idea to start up a Virtual Fiddle Festival…which came to be called, VFF, on the Fiddle Hangout Site.  We didn’t jam together, but each month a random tune was picked by my then, toddler grandson, randomly from a basket we called the duck, a tune from the oldtimejam site, and then it was open to anyone who wanted to post a video or mp3 of themselves fiddling, or playing it on anything else, during that month.  It got very popular for a while, then dwindled down in popularity, people being busy, then I handed it over because my life got so that I was always running up and down the road taking care of sick people and fixing up houses so they could have a place to live, etc., to where I had a lot of work to do and no time at all to play any instruments…once I handed it over, I tried to keep up here and there, but it gradually dwindled down to only two or three guys and then fizzled out entirely.  But it was the idea of people working at the same tune, just not at the same time…lol.  That was the closest I have come to a jam, online or otherwise, that I actually enjoyed.  The local bluegrass jams weren’t much fun for me.  Same people in charge and it was always the same…plus I’m not into the fast-paced stuff…I like easy going music better…the faster stuff makes me nervous to play…lol.  Just not my thing.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket, you could start that here on BGD. Just pick a tune from John’s lesson list and all who want to could enter their videos of them progressing along.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I was wondering if people might be interested in that or something similar…at least it’s something kinda like jamming together.  If we did that, we’d be better off picking from the beginner list so it wouldn’t leave anybody out as far as where everybody is in their fiddling.  At this point in my life, I still have very little time for music…seems we provide the oxygen for too many people…lol…not literally, but, we’ve just helped out so much it’s very tiring and takes so many of your days away from you.  Lots of people are busy too, I know…and that was the whole problem that crept up in Fiddle Hangout…life changes and people get busier, etc.  Hard to keep up with something fun.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I am doing almost nothing other than working on my music and still , I find no sooner than I’m up , It seems its time to go back to bed ! LOL

This is a question for our mediators and John , But also for the members opinions and thoughts ,  I have been intending to move some players videos to my computer , then play along with them and then post it back , but I think it would or should be posted somewhere besides the lions Den ? What do you think ? And I think it should be a tune that exist in the lessons, and played in the lessons key ! So lets have some feed back !!??

I am talking about picking a tune someone has posted to the lions den to play along with !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

These are some good ideas. We could make some space in the collaboration forum, especially since I haven’t been able to work on collaborations in a while.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I used to play along with youtubes sometimes, but like I said…I just have about no time for music at this point.  Getting really tired of that, but don’t know what I can do at the moment.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, I was gonna say…If somebody plays along with a youtube and records it…and then makes another youtube…is that allowed?  Because before I got my Presonus hooked up, I used to make a youtube with my ipad…then make another one playing a different part to go with what I’d just put onto youtube and put that one on youtube…sort of a very lousy way to play multiple tracks.  Youtube contacted me everytime I did that…I don’t know how they knew I was putting up videos with the sounds of other videos, but they warned me to stop stealing other people’s content…lol…of course, it was my own content I was “stealing.”

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Cricket,  that is not allowed unless you get written permission from the original creator of the  Youtube video that you are intending to play along with.   Youtube is correct: They consider it to be ‘Theft of Content’. But it was a good idea that you had.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well so somebody could make a youtube and write in the description that they intend for others to play along and record along with if they wanted to…I guess that’d be ok then?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What I am talking about is recording their sound using their video , And Me playing along with it ! It would be a new video of me playing and they would be the backup sound only , I don’t see how U-tube could know , I would have to post the story of whos video I was playing with , when I got it posted to BGD ????? So would it be a problem all the lessons / tunes on BGD are public domain to learn to play !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I didn’t shw the video I was playing along with…just audible sounds that came from the computer as I played along with my own video…somehow youtube seemed to know and alwyas sent me something kinda threatening about it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I guess I took most of them off my youtube channel, but here’s how i did it.  Watched my other video and tried to play along with it.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Very nice Cricket Well maybe its one of those good ideas that we can not do ?

I guess we should be grateful , we are even allowed to play anything , as it all belongs to someone else somewhere ?

Maybe we are not allowed to play anything , we just don’t know it ?

There has to be a way around this problem ? I guess that means no more , Turkey in the straw , for you Cricket , or anything else , for that matter , So sad ?

I now have nothin left to live for , Do I ? What’s the number for the suicide help line ? Oh never mind , I will just keep playing music and singing till they take away all my toys , lock me up and through away the keys ! LOL

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Yes I guess we all need just to write in a welcome to play along with Me and use this video to create a jam session  if you wish ? I will start doing this with all my U-tube content ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You might have to write that people can feel free to play along and even to use that youtube to add to and make your own…or something to that effect…some kind of permission to use it for recording your own.  I don’t know… when I was doing that for a while there, I got so many notices from them I was kind of afraid they might kick me off…lol.  A few years later we fired up the Presonus, hooked up to the software, and I just about quit recording on youtube…just started putting up audio from the multitrack recordings with photos.  I can stay outta trouble that way, I guess…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, that’s a cool video.

I think it is OK to make the videos, you just can’t monetize them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in