How You Started the Violin

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? How You Started the Violin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Personally, I started the violin last year, when I was eleven. Now I am twelve, and sadly my classical teacher retired so that’s when me and my dad began looking for websites to learn the violin on, since this pandemic is going on and wouldn’t be able to find and actual teacher in town. My name, by the way, is Kimberley Harris, and I am a christian, and have a very musical family. Our whole family loves bluegrass, and ever since I was little I’ve always wanted to play the violin. I wouldn’t mind learning the mandolin, too.

I am still grade one on the violin, but I love bluegrass and John’s lessons are so easy, since I’m on beginner.

Thanks, John! Your lessons are very enjoyable!

– Kimberley 😛

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatarkimberley7.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Welcome, Kimberley!  I think you are the perfect age for getting going on the fiddle.  I hope we can hear some of your playing at some point.  There’s plenty of great lessons to keep us all busy for a long time here.

You’re lucky to be getting an early start.  I just started playing at the age of 55, I guess about when you were busy coming into the world and making yourself comfortable…lol.  Have fun fiddling!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly and welcome! I started when I was thirteen years old. My brothers and I decided to make a band, and my mom decided to take lessons from a local music shop and teach it to my little brother. However, I loved the fiddle so much that I decided to play it! I borrowed a fiddle from a friend and started learning on my own, then when I was 14 I asked a local fiddler, Joel Little, to give me lessons. I took lessons from Joel until I graduated from high school.

I’m glad you found the site during this trying time. I hope you continue to enjoy it!
    John

Participant

Thanks so much, I’m looking forward to my future education on the fiddle! 🙂

Kimberley

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Welcome to the site Kimberly!

I started playing when I was 14, and I wanted a mandolin but couldn’t find one so I got a fiddle instead! I found BGD a year later, and it’s definitely a great place to learn!

Also, if you want some mandolin lessons banjobenclark.com is giving monthly memberships for $5 right now for a month, so go check his site out too!

Participant

Hey Gunnar!

Thanks! My dad has the Banjo Ben membership right now, and he’s doing some guitar! I knew that he was doing it $5 for the month of April due to the Corona.

Kimberley 😛

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Oh cool!

Participant

Hi Kimberley,

I am pretty new here too,   I started taking lessons when I was almost 55 years old, I am sure that sounds really old to you, but it was only 2 years ago.   I started out with a local classical teacher, but I wanted to learn fiddle.  last fall I started with a fiddle teacher, but the lessons are short . so this is a great  supplement to those lessons.

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

I got tired of lugging a banjo around bluegrass festivals. I got jealous of the fiddlers. Fiddles are light. Fiddles are cool. Fiddle tunes are fun. Fiddles are often the most respected instrument by other players; most of them know how hard it is to get good enough to play a fiddle outside of a padded room.  And finally, there are very seldom old banjo pickers around. But most of the good fiddlers in my circles are well over 70.  Old fiddlers are awesome. A few of my buddies are still sawing away and still sound great at around 90 years old. And they know every tune that gets thrown out there in a jam. I want to be that guy some day, Lord willing!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I agree with Beardog…I’d much rather go to a jam carrying a fiddle case than a big ol’ heavy banjo case…lol.

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Welcome Kimberly. I started when I was 63. That was last year and I am still scratching away! I always loved fiddle music and dreamed of being able to play. I don’t know why I waited until I was 63, but better late than never.

Participant

Hi Kimberly. Welcome to BGD.You couldn’t have come to a better place. John’s lessons are the best. I hope as you progress you post on BGD, as it will be an inspiration for all. I didn’t start lessons on here until I was 65. I build violins as a hobby and just started building guitars. Good luck and keep us posted.

Participant

Welcome Kimberly. I started playing when I was 10. My grandmother played and I asked her to teach me Turkey in the Straw. It just kept going from there!!

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

I started at 55 as well as some of these folks.  I listened to a girl about 10 play the Old Rugged Cross in church one day.  I was so inspired I thought “I can learn to play too”.  That was 6 years ago.  Still playing and it is NEVER too late to learn.  Keep plugging away and maybe we will see you on stage one day!!!!

Participant

Welcome Kimberly,

I started almost three years ago at 45. This is an awesome site.

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

Kimberley, you are SO lucky to start at your young age, and to have an interested parent. I have noticed several kinds of folks around the bluegrass and fiddle festivals that I frequent.

1) Stage/recording professionals, who also like to jam. This is pretty common, and is always a blast. Everyone plays better when a pro is in the jam. Their timing, drive, and ability just drives every tune to a higher level.

2) People who started young (before 16-18 years of age). They are almost always awesome musicians very early on, and either are presently capable, or soon will be capable of playing professionally.

3) People like myself, who have a strong background in music from a young age. We can get fairly good, depending on dedication level and practice commitment, but will never be at a professional level. I started playing bluegrass/old-time way too late (45 years old), and I tried to play too many instruments at first, (banjo, fiddle, bass, guitar, even the mandolin). I finally settled on the banjo for a few years, as I said in a post above, then recently changed my mind (but I am now committed to only the fiddle!).

4) Folks like some of the absolute adult beginners here, who start out with no background in music. But, they often show enough commitment and drive to be able to get pretty good as well, and are welcome in just about every jam. They frequently can play in local bands, too.

5) And finally (and unfortunately), there are always way too many adults who start on an instrument, then quit. They sit around the edges and listen, but never get up the courage and commitment to stick with something long enough to learn how to “fly on their own”.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Welcome and have fun !

Participant

Thanks so much everyone!

It’s amazing to see the ages and talents that are dug up and used once again!

The truth is, you don’t really have to a certain age to start.

You could start at three, or at eighty even! It doesn’t matter.

It’s never to early or to late!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I agree, Kimberley…if you wanna go pro, you might be better off if you got lucky enough to start early…but if you just wanna enjoy the music and playing around locally, ANY age is the right age for learning!  Then I also think of stuff like the artist, Grandma Moses, who was just about 80 when she took up painting, if my old age memory serves me right…lol, and became a well-respected and admired artist…so…you never know!

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

Absolutely! I think that my longish post was really based on the fact that the younger one starts, the greater the potential. several of my jam buddies (who are MUCH better musicians than I will ever be) would be capable of playing professionally, they just have no desire to do so. They all started playing at a young age. Enjoying music and learning to play an instrument with others is never out of the reach of at any at any age.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.