How You Started the Violin

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? How You Started the Violin

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I honestly don’t think it’s important if you’re talented or not, just if you enjoy the new hobby and have fun out of it.

Many people out there are talented, and learning an instrument is a breeze, but still, it’s the practice that makes it work out!

Participant

Welcome! I started at about your age.  I played into my early 20s and then quit.  I took about a 15 year break from playing but I started back up this last year.  My advise to you is don’t quit! 😀

cricketcricket
    Participant

They might be happier not worrying about going pro.  I have had many friends in the past who were really, really good musicians…of course in their youth they dreamed of becoming professional musicians…but…the only ones who got to where they are unknowns, hard-working, sacrificing and extremely dedicated but low paid musicians were lucky enough to marry spouses with decent jobs and insurance and all of that…seems like most people will never, ever earn a living from music, unless you don’t mind being homeless and eating from the food bank.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

How to have one million dollars ($1,000,000) as a musician:

start with two million! 😉

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol…that sounds about right, Fred!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Music has always been in the family as a child I listened to my grandparents play , My Grandpa was a share cropper , A lot of time when he came in from the field he would set in his chair and pick around on his guitar , then usually fall asleep with it in his arms , My Dad and Mom played with family and friends at our home or somebody’s else’s home , no one played professionally , except I heard story’s of my Dad and his family played for what ever they could get during the great depression and when the depression was over they quit because of burn out ! I tried when I was younger and soon found out there’s a lot of really good musicians out there and not much room at the top , however I love to play and sing so will do so, till I am six feet under . My little sister has always had Her a band going, either hers or someone else’s band , I was mostly a solo player in bars and café and was playing for old folks till this corvid 19 thing happened , Music is great medicine for the heart and soul !

fran hfran h
    Participant

Hi Kimberly and welcome.  I guess I did like Nancy. I play piano at church (not because I am any good. . .but no one else plays) and I really don’t enjoy the piano. I heard a young girl one day at church play Amazing Grace and it was so beautiful so my brain went to analyzing. . . piano  88 strings . . . violin  4 strings . . . piano playing notes with 2 hands and sometimes 4 fingers. . . violin. . looks like one finger and one note at a time. . . . .piano reading music as much as four notes at a time. . . violin  looks like one note at a time  . . . piano 2 hands going sometimes the same direction and sometimes not. . . violin one hand plays notes the other just goes up and down.  So I deduced that violin was easier so I looked them up on Amazon and was amazed I could get one for under $100   And I also ordered a book called Violin for Dummies.  lol  All I ever desired was to play hymns at church. This was in 2011 and I was 49 years old. I learned some hymns and loved the instrument so much I had to take lessons so I signed up with a classical teacher at age 49. I hated bluegrass and you couldn’t pay me to listen to it. Somewhere along the way. . . I heard a few fiddle tunes and they sounded like fun. Classical violinists pretty much look down on fiddle players, and my teacher was no exception. She is a great teacher, she still teaches now and she is in her 80’s. She would play some fiddle tunes with me to vary the repertoire. And somewhere amongst the fiddle tunes, gospel music came in, which I have always liked, but fiddle worked well with it. And some friends got me to play with them at a rest home and they mixed in some bluegrass and all of a sudden bluegrass wasn’t so bad. And a monster (me) was created. I went to a few bluegrass jams and it was quite fun. I do give John 110% credit for teaching me how to jam. I had no clue haw to play by ear and my classical teacher was no help. John explained it to me and demonstrated it and in 10 minutes I could do it. I left my classical teacher after 6 years of Suzuki teaching. Made it ti Suzuki book 7. I switched to a fiddle teacher in 2017 and I still take fiddle lessons today. Books and videos are great but there is nothing like 1 on 1 instruction and help. Before the world got flipped upside down with this virus, I was attending at least  1 if not 2 jams a week and loving it. I can’t wait to get back to jamming and lessons. I wish I had started earlier in life . . but. . . I am enjoying it now so I am just looking forward and having fun. The most important part is to have fun.

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

Fran

where did you see the lesson on playing by ear???????????

fran hfran h
    Participant

Nancy. . . .sorry, there is no lesson on playing by ear. My daughter was working the summer at a golf resort about 30 minutes from where John lives so I rudely invited myself to his home and he was most obliging and our families hung out for the evening and that is when he explained and demonstrated how to play by ear. I did allow him to decline my imposition with no ill feelings on my part, , , but he and his family are most hospitable and friendly and nice.  His wife, Jennifer is most lovely and a great host.  Even the dogs were friendly. Maybe John could create a lesson on playing by ear. He was the first one that explained it to me who made sense. And it is so easy to play by ear. . . I couldn’t believe how long I had struggled.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.