Hurricane Florence

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by fiddlewood fiddlewood 2 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Looks like Florence is gong to hit the Carolinas either on Thursday or early Friday morning, with the WB predicting the NC coast to take the brunt when she reaches landfall.  I hope every Carolinian takes heed and stocks up on supplies and necessities, including fuel for generators and cars, food, drinking water, and a few medical supplies, etc, well before the impact.  DON’T leave it too late to get supplies.  Last year, just before Irma hit the coast (but was eventually downgraded to a tropical storm) the camping section in many Walmart and other stores — even those at higher elevations — had almost next to nothing in the way of camping supplies such as lanterns, and other survival necessities. Food also disappeared quickly.

I really hope Florence will weaken and be downgraded before she hits.  We have a number of BGD members from SC and NC, and so I hope everyone of them, as well as others will be safe and out of harm’s way.  I also hope that BGD central isn’t affected by power outages as a result of the impending and expected devastation.  Stay safe and GO AND GET PLENTY OF SUPPLIES….. NOW!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like it’s gonna be a bad one.  I hope everybody gets out of danger and doesn’t have too much property damage.

Angela
    Participant

Praying for everyone and sending my best wishes.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

My favorite real time weather map is found at the link below.   Click and drag your mouse to turn the globe and center the hurricane, and then multiple click to enlarge the size.  Click on the word that simply says “earth”  to raise a menu to change things.  By default it shows surface weather, but you can select different altitudes on the height column.  Many other options include precip, temps, etc.  Wind speed & direction is shown for where ever you position & single click your mouse.  Wind speed is approximated in the color of the moving lines.  Notice there are 3 huge storms all lined up & moving across.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-64.43,34.83,1424/loc=-93.726,43.908

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thanks for the prayer and best wishes, Angela.

Thank you too, Cricket, for your concern.

Nice to see fellow members caring about others who are in harm’s way.

Hope you and yours are well away from Florence and any fallout.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

From what I’ve heard the entire states of both Carolinas are subject to tons of rainfall, which could cause all sorts of problems inland…I hope and pray John and family and all the other BGD families and their friends and neighbors will be ok.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Supposed to extend all the way to the mountains with the rain and winds.  I think John is busy prepping and securing his house; trimming trees etc.  The rains in the mountains will bring more flooding to the Piedmont and other lower areas of NC and SC.  Seems everyone will be affected.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

hoping for the best for everyone.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone. We here in western NC should get lots of rain and wind next week, but I’m mostly concerned about our friends on the coast. Florence is a monster. Rodger, thanks for the weather link.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John wrote:

“Florence is a monster.”

I don’t know about her being a “monster”.  I thought Florence Henderson; AKA Carol Brady, was pretty, but sadly, a little benign.  And I could never understand why she tolerated those whining daughters of hers, and put up with wimpy Mike and his obnoxious off-spring with their white male–privileged attitudes. And Alice!  The whole scenario was utterly preposterous  And her hair!  I mean, who coiffed that head?  Hideous hairdo, but I wouldn’t exactly call her a “monster”. Give me Shirley (Jones) and the Partridge Family any day!: a much more believable, mature, and entertaining scenario.   I never missed an episode!   🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well it sounds like it’s now turning a little southward, to where they weren’t quite ready for it…or did I hear that right? These things are tricky to prepare for.  Like my old karate teacher used to say, your best defense ever is to run.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Here’s what we’re dealing with this morning…6 1/2 inches of heavy wet stuff.  I haven’t got any of the garden in yet either….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Are you kidding me?  Is that the usual time for snow up there?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

No, it definitely is Not…..It’s not just the huge amount, (it’s been snowing all day after the picture) but it’s below freezing and not melting, on top of it all.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…gonna be a long winter up there, I guess.  or if it’s like this area, you’re shoveling snow one week and then it’s 80 degrees the next week.  This hurricane sure took its time striking land…I think those are supposed to cause the most flood damage, etc., those slow ones.  Toxic water to boot. Everybody be safe!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s great, Rodger. Give me six inches of snow over six inches of rain any day! Which is what we are supposed to get here in Boone. I’m hoping to stay dry here. I have spent the last two days digging a new drainage line and repairing a leaky chimney and also a leaky gutter. Wish me luck! To all of you affected by Florence — stay safe! I hope you get your power back on and back on the internet in record time.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What a storm one word = Flood ! Everyone stay safe All those effected are in my prayers !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, are you back home?  Good to see you on the board.  John, hard work, digging for the drainage and fixing anything that can leak.  I hope it pays off and you all stay dry and safe.  The rain is coming down in buckets, from what I hear.  We are doing the same kinda work…it’s just been so wet over this summer we have family living in our houses and they are getting flooded inside the houses…so…we’ve been digging, laying pipe, re-guttering, etc.  Hot…ugh…it’s been a tough two or three days.  Hopefully we’ve got it pretty much caught up…we’re getting hurricane leftover rain tomorrow, I think, but it won’t be much here…we got all our damaging rains over the whole summer…about the wettest, hottest, most damp and humid summer I can remember ever having.  I mean…it’s something like 91 degreees here right now at suppertime…a month away from our first frost date…crazy.  It’s about killed us out working all these past few days in that weather.  Anyhow…I’m hoping for the best for the people right there in that hurricane.  Sadly, there’s a death count on the coast by now…very sad.  I can understand why they didn’t wanna leave, and who knows when they can get back, etc., what a hassle that is to do.  But…it’s a dangerous risk to stay behind.  My grandparents were in a tornado once, in their trailer…they were ordered to evacute for tornados….my grandpa did, but my grandma said that was just plumb stupid and she was gonna make jelly and ignore than nonsense.  Well, fortunately the tornado just danced around…she really told all of the rest how silly they were for leaving…lol.  I guess she was just lucky, but took the occasion to make everybody else look like they had overreacted…but really…it’s always better safe than sorry.  Anyway…yall hang on and hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Greetings All,

I guess I am maybe the only BGD member in eastern NC in the midst of Florence (hurricane). All is well at my immediate location. We have had heavy rains for the better part of 2 days, with more to come. We don’t live in a flood prone area so we are OK. Some low-lying areas have flooded mainly from lots of rain. Some of these areas also flood from a hard rain. Several towns maybe 2 hours south of us are harder hit. More rain and wind. Florence slowed to a cat 3 hurricane before it hit, which around here when you are used to hurricanes, is not a huge worry. NOT to diminish and destruction or to lessen the need for caution, but if you prepare correctly you will be all right. The most danger is at the beachfront simply because it is beachfront. Most danger inland is from falling trees which take down power lines or parts of houses. We have been through some rough ones. . Floyd and Fran. We were without power from Floyd for 5 days.  The best anyone can do is prepare and then hope for the best. You can’t stop the trees from falling, but you don’t have to park under them. Some people tend to create their own emergency. I am not trying to be harsh, but yet people still are seen driving through standing or running water.  And news crews report from the worst areas. It could be 3 or 4 trees down in one block and another spared. Of course its bad if its your trees. A couple of towns close to the coast have been pretty hard hit, but there is lots of help on the way.  Anyhows. . .all is well on our homestead and if anyone is in need of mud. . I have plenty to spare.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Glad you all are doing ok, Fran…sounds like you know how to handle a hurricane out there!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Fran, it’s great to know you are OK. I finished my drainage ditch and put sand bags against the garage doors downstairs, now just crossing my fingers while I wait for the rain to start. Glad to see you still have power!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck, John.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Good luck everybody.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Well my basement has never been more dry, and we did not lose power. I consider myself very fortunate! Prayers for all those still impacted by Florence.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Glad you guys are ok…I’ve been hoping so.  Yes, it sounds like it’s still very bad all over the flooding areas.

Angela
    Participant

Glad to hear from you John and Fran.  These storms can be emotionally draining too.  Prayers for all.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Glad to hear the good reports here on the forum.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in