I got this new idea the other day…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? I got this new idea the other day…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, well it’s not new, but I usually think it and then the thought melts away and I just stop thinking it.  But here lately, we have so much to do and I spend so much time on the Presonus…I’ve gotta tear myself away from it and get to work at getting things caught up around here and on down the road in TN.  Here’s what happened…I was learning to play the fiddle, working hard at it, then we got the presonus up and running.  So, no more practice for me, just an explosion of playing…like uncontrollable playing.  People have commented on wondering how I know so many tunes…well, the truth is, i don’t know them.  I’ve heard them but since I gave up practicing, going to jams, etc.,  and just play on the presonus, I just play stuff I know exists…some of it I’ve played back when I had only one guitar, some of it I’ve heard a lot and never tried to play…but through some presonus explosion that blew me apart, I just play, play, play…play that fiddle part 5o times if I have to, to get an acceptable one, or play until I just get exhausted or run outta time…lol. Just an explosion of presonus and youtubes.  Well, after Steve took hold of my Mississippi Blues…my horrible playing on that hard-to-play thing…it sorta re-ignited my old idea I had probably about a year ago…to make my own jamming tracks.  I mean, to just make a jam track takes about 10 minutes, at most. So, make jam tracks, put ’em on youtube…then, give up all that presonus time so I can be outside working, gardening, fence–painting, deck painting, helping out in TN, etc., etc., etc., then at times when there would n’t really be enough time to make a good youtube (not that any of mine are very good…lol, but they do contain quite a bit of effort), but just a little time to myself, in an atmosphere that it’s ok tomake noise, to grab hold of those jam youtubes I’d made and just play.  I mean…although Mississippi BLues wasn’t such a good recording…I mean, my tracks didn’t hold together that well, basically I played the guitar part I’ve been messin’ with for three or four decades through, then went back with a couple of other guitar parts and jammed along…oh, boy, that was FUN!  Then I added bass, which was fun too.  So, I was thinking, the really fun parts are the parts I don’t really know and just jam along with.  It’s the same with some of the fiddling…just jamming along, experimenting.  Why don’t I make the jam tracks and then just have them on a playlist so I can use a little bit of time, instead of putting off work to be done making a whole recording…then have stuff to just jam and experiment…experiment with bowing, picking, grinning or whatever…change aroudn the speeds on the youtube itself…try this and that, etc.  So…it’s not the first time I thought to do this, but it’s maybe the 7th time…lol.  I’ve kinda halfway started the idea a few times, but just didn’t do a very good job with it…and I never play for fun, never practice at all, never actually try to learn new things…just make endless recordings on that addictive presonus.  So…if I can make myself do it…I might just try putting on some of my own jam tracks, then grabbing a minute here or there as I can, and just play, try new things, get back to learning new things, etc.  And if you’re reading this far, Mike thinks you must really be bored…lol.  Yes, true. But will I actually do this?  Can I break that presonus habit?????  Hmmm…time will tell.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

How I Broke the Presonus Habit: (sorta)

I started having recording “blackouts” where after I came to, I realized I had been recording and didn’t even know it!

I consistently recorded more than I had set out to do; sometimes recording entire albums with every instrument in the house.

I found recording on my Presonus meant more to me than it meant to others. (This was hard to swallow!)

I started excusing myself for using my presonus.

I started recording the moment I awoke in the mornings.

I began to record alone. (Wait…this doesn’t count…there’s hope after all!)

I began to get anti-social when recording didn’t go right, sometimes using words that I didn’t even know I knew!

I started going on recording “benders” where I just couldn’t stop recording.

I began feeling a deep, nameless anxiety when away from my Presonus.

I felt a constant craving for my Presonus.

Then I realized it was alright to do all of the above because I was having harmless fun, so I sat down and recorded a bunch of YouTube videos for my friends on Bluegrass Daddy!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I bought My Presonus last year and have never used it , Cause I’m so bad and new at the fiddle I spend all my time just trying to learn and improve , So it’s still in the box , Cricket , I am somewhat like you , I really don’t know how to play the tunes right , although I play over 500 tunes on my guitar , I am playing My way, basic 4 chord run with some 7ths thrown in , And in the way I wont the song to be voiced and to sound , So when I see the real way it is supposed to be played professionally by other artist , I am out because I never learned to follow sheet music , and a lot of the off chords they put in do not go with , how I am voicing the song !  So danged if you do and danged if you don’t ! But I never wonted to be a cookie cutter musician or imitator , although I have been learning new chords because of Johns Tablature is causing me to have to expand my guitar horizons and branching out with more chords on tunes from BGD !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, I’m just about there…lol.  Steve, I think we play alike, sounds like.  I don’t do anything right, just however I can.  When I went to visit Dwight Diller in WV, he and I had had some long rhythm/old time/banjo/fiddle/music discussions on email…he said he’d show me some stuff if I could get out there to visit…so I did…he spent the whole weekend listening, talking, showing me stuff, and he said what he saw was I was “desperate” to play music…lol.  I thought that was a pretty good assessment…I’m desperate…I just gotta play…the right way or the wrong way…don’t matter…I can’t not play!  The Presonus gives me license to play more than I’ve ever had the opportunities to do, ever in my life.  I jsut can’t resist.  Mine was in the box for years…I bought it and a fiddle as a retirement gift to myself when I first retired…but we had so many people needing our help for years after that that the doggone thing stayed in the box.  I finally started really working at learning the fiddle, and at some point Mike got that thing out, hooked it up, and figured it out and showed me how to use it about like the kindergarden level…lol…well that just got me hooked. Ok…so I’ve been thinking about this whole thing…I’ve gotten so far behind on my responsibilities and stuff I need to do…I’m giving myself 2 hours every Thursday morning to mess around on the Presonus.  That’s it!  I’m gonna try my best to stick with this.  We have broken fences…fences needing paint, deck needing scrubbed and painted, porch repair and paint in progress now to finish, gardening galore…mowing etc., we mow six acres down the road, plus our own hillside and other places, cooking and putting produce away, lots of big work waiting in TN, etc., etc., etc.  I really need to get with it and be more present in my real life…presonus has gotta wait until my designated time.  Seriously.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

In all seriousness, Cricket, I wish you the best of luck with all you’ve got on your plate.

I remember a professor in college having a wonderfully insightful conversation with our whole class one time about the importance of scheduling. Here’s how it went:

He reached under his desk and brought out this huge industrial-sized empty mayonnaise jug and a big box of nearly fist-sized stones. He then placed all the stones he could fit into the jar, stood back and asked us (the class) if we thought the jar was full. We naturally assumed that since he couldn’t fit any more fist-sized stones in the jug that it was full.

He then said “No”. Then back under the desk he reached and out with some small gravel. He filled it right to the top with the pea gravel and asked us the same question. Some of us were suspicious now and some weren’t. He said “No” again and brought out some sand…shook the jug a little and poured quite a bit of sand in there. Again the question and again the answer “No”.

Then he must have poured a quart of water in there and then asked us whether the jug was full and he finally said “Yes”.

Then he asked us what the point was that he was trying to get to. Some of us took a stab at answering but we were all way off base.

He finally gave us the answer: If I hadn’t put the big rocks in first, they wouldn’t have fit later if I would have started with the gravel.

The “Big Rocks” were synonymous with doing the most important things in life first so that they get done at all.

I never forgot that discussion and taught my children the same lesson to good avail. “Put the big rocks in first”!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a pretty good lesson, Fred.  We have so much going on and so many people needing help…I think those are the big rocks, I guess.  The presonus is just fun and games…I need to back off and think about the other stuff.  I remember when I was 10, had my first guitar…my brother told me that professional musicians, when they went into a recording studio, they could actually play along with what they had already played, and put on several tracks.  I was blown away…I’m like…”Really?” And I wanted to do that…me with my guitar, but of course it was expensive and you needed professional sound people, etc., totally out of reach …UNTIL…the computer age…the age at which we have all gotten what we dreamed of, and neglected what’s in front of us.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket it all boils down to sometimes spending some quality time with something you love , Some folks spend all their time reading books to the point they are in that life or narrative ! Others spend all their time playing computer games , and so on and so forth people find things to do that they enjoy doing all work and no play is not the way to go either , As long as we live we have chores to do and people to love responsibility’s that have to get done , To cut your self off to much, is like going on a crash diet and that doesn’t work , So I do my chores and love ones then find time for myself and I don’t think I’m being the least bit selfish at 69 years old , I had my nose to the grind stone for sixty five years , I still work but only when I wont to or have to get the Ox out of the mud hole so to speak !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…yes.  THanks for that reminder, Steve…it’s called “moderation,” and I really do need reminders about that once in a while.  It doesn’t have to be all or nothing!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’m moving toward taking a presonus break and going back to the BGD lessons.  I took down a fiddle this morning, while I was having coffee and getting ready to go for several hours today…and low and behold, broke my A string.  So…always being prepared…I took a set of my new kind, Prims, and replace all the strings…the Helicore A strings just break…tired of them ol things.  I put on the new Prims, and while doing that noticed, in my horror, my tailpiece is cracked.  Agh…scary.  So Mike looks up tailpieces and orders me one before I lose my mind in fear and agony…the strings go on and the fiddele…this is the old one, not the new one, tunes up nicely and plays ok.  BUT, it’s me that doesn’t play ok.  I tuned it GDAE…and set into Over the Waves, Faded Love, etc., trying it out and making sure everything’s ok…well, my playing was awful.  So…I’m like…ok…these’s my answer:  break from Presonus and back to those lessons.  When I first joined up here, I got pretty decent with Faded Love, Maiden’s Prayer, Gardenia Waltz, Over the Waves, etc.  Now I’m terrible on thsoe things…I gotta get back.  I need practice.  That’s it…Thursdays for a couple of hours in the mornings…back to BGD lessons and practice, practice, practice.  I was getting good, there for a while…now…ugh…it sounded pretty bad…lol.  I mean the fiddle sounded good, but I sure didn’t…forgot everything.  Back to lessons.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket , Your welcome , I hope your new tail piece makes a big difference !

Strings I am not sure what to do about those things , I am still looking for that magical set of strings only to find that the new ones make little or no difference , and if they sound bad I force myself to leave them on through the end of the first week , Then sometimes put my old strings back on Ha !

Cricket , I am having trouble getting myself to practice and work the new ones too , It’s like being in a stale mate going nowhere , I am working them some , but not enough to advance , enough to maintain my last practice , rats I have to get seriously more into it !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I sure can relate to Helicore A strings going on the fritz quite often. I had a bunch of them go bad all in a years’ time and complained to the company and they said send them the sales receipts and they would replace the A strings at no charge. They sent me four of them and I was delighted. Of course in less than another year I went through them!

But, I still have Helicore mediums on both of my fiddles right now. I like the Zyex but they break in a little tougher and I don’t like to have to wait. Pretty fussy I guess. lol

Just remember to save your receipts.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred , receipts are easy I always buy online ! But I have not broke but two strings and one of those was my fault I went to high ouch ! And it was a E string Ha ! So I have been lucky and or I change my strings to often , looking for that magic string set , I tried the Zyex , they did not sound good on my violin , I could not keep them on even a week !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gotta run somebody to hospital for tests in a minute here, but you know…a long time ago I downloaded a lot of the jam tracks here to practice the lessons…then that domputer crashed during when Annie was doing her opera…we had to hurry and get a new computer to allow the opera to get done (so all five people could watch on youtube…lol…seemed urgent at the time)…anyway, now here on this newer computer we got back then I either forgot how to download mp3s or else it’s different on here.  I know when I download a photo, I can’t ever find where the doggone thing went, so I can’t ever use any of them.  Well I lost all those BGD practice tracks with the old computer crash, and now I can’t figure out how to down load them for getting back to practicing these lessons.  I mean, they say they are downloading, but I can’t find where they went to!  No time now…any suggestions?  I’ll look again later when I get the time.  I’m no good with technology…lol.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Good luck solving computer problems. I’d have more luck playing Gardenia Waltz in D Flat than I would figuring out these darned old computer glitches.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, concerning those hard to find files……1st step is to just know that they are indeed there….’somewhere’!  That gives you endurance.  When you hit the ‘start’ button (on windows), right at the bottom of the box that comes up you see a ‘search’ box.  When you start to type in the file name, it will pop up similar file names to help you find it.  You probably named the file with something relevant to what it is, so just start guessing…..

This is a greatly improved feature over older versions of the dreaded Windows software, and something I have to go to often…

Extra note on this subject:  Since Windows treats all of us like idiots, they often create new Libraries, directories etc. and do the craziest things to store our files.  I never let Windows do that for me, and I never intentionally use or put ‘anything’ in a Windows Library.  I keep all the files I create on a separate drive, on a directory that I create, and the entire file tree is of my own making.  That way I know where it’s at.  I’m sure the Windows automated Libraries etc. are designed as a convenient way to spy and search our content for their own commercial purposes.   Windows also creates those ‘Users’ partitions automatically,  and Cricket I’d guess that’s where your lost files will turn up.  Even if you keep your own file system on a separate drive, Windows will ‘still’ scatter copies of your files all over their own created Libraries and ‘user’ partitions like fleas on a hound dog.  Those guys are advanced commercialized technological knowledge wizards gone insane.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, the computer drives us all crazy.  Rodger, this computer downloads really fast and doesn’t give me any opportunity to name anything, not that I ever see, anyway.  So…I’m searching for something like 20-228765-76544 or whatever it is.  I download lots of photos and now trying for the mp3x, but where they go…????????

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket what program are you using to download with that’s where you’ll find it , For instance the program BGD recommends for us to grab videos and stuff is hidden in Documents area called Apowersoft free online screen recorder ! if you go to documents and double click on the program it will open the folder , On my computer in documents the program is [ Apowersoft] I double click on that it opens to [Apowersoft free online screen recorder] , I double click on that and there it all is all the stuff I have downloaded from BGD and other stuff I have downloaded from u-tube and none of them have names there like a whole lot of numbers so I open each one to see what it is then close it and right click the number and rename it what it really is then I do the same thing to all of them till there’s none left with numbers , So Cricket search for the name of the program your using to do your downloads , another example is I use Logitech Webcam to record my mp4 video to upload to u-tube and all the videos I make setting in front of my computer are inside the Logitech Webcam , folder and they are all numbers too so I have to open each one to see what it is close it then rename each one like if the number is say 68 and I open it and it’s Amelia’s Waltz , well I right click the number click rename , back space the numbers off then type , Amelia’s Waltz ! Cricket let me know if this helps ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll try and see if I can find that, Steve.  Thanks.  I hope to get a couple of hours tomorrow and plan to try to actually practice…yep…back to the lessons, for me!  I hope I can download and find the mp3s…just easier to have the ones you want in one place than poking around for them…but if I can’t find them…lol…then I’ll just poke around the site for them…at least they’re there!  We’ll see how it goes!  I’ve got a lot of practicing to do.  Also, I’d like to increase my speed…not a whole lot, because for some crazy reason I just like stuff slow…my brain is in low gear I think…or at least my ears are…but I’ve been told by so many people that I play everything too slow.  I think I grew up on old whiney ballads and can’t get that notion out of my head…lol.  Anyway…I’m not into fast stuff, but I think I’ve had enough comments that indicate I’m too far out of step with the rest of the world and could stand to step it up a little bit.  Practice…tomorrow morning…I’ll let you know if I can find my downloads!  I just now missed my mouth with a carbonated water all over my chromebook laptop…lol…gosh I hope I didn’t kill it or anything…seems to still be working ok.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Speed , I find it hard to stay up with John , Some of the lesson are not a problem , and some are , I have been working on the Tennessee Waltz in the key of A and it is hard for me to stay up with John on that one , I can stay up , but If I blink I lose my place , but then Westphalia Waltz is easier to stay up till the last half then I struggle some , Anyway I am working on several and each day I gain a little as I learn them better , I find that I have to know them well enough to not need the tablature to really succeed and be on top of the notes !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m a real slowpoke…lol.  I think I focus so much on bowing that I can’t handle speed, or something….I don’t know what it is.  I always got accused of playing slow, even when I used to just pick my guitar and sing…everybody was like…wow…you take that one slow!  So…I guess it’s just my way, but I think I should speed it up a little, because I’ve heard so much how slow I am…but I’m not gonna try to get going too fast…fast music just makes me nervous.  It’s one reason I didn’t really like being in the BG band or going to the BG jams…every song… as fast as your fingers can possibly go, or faster…just seemed hectic and nervous to me…lol.  I guess I’m more of the whiney ol’ ballad-type than the dance and hop around type…I don’t know what it is.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sometimes I slow them down a little till I get comfortable , Like on the Tennessee Waltz , if I slow it down the least I can , Then it is just so much easier , and it really is not slowed down much ! On the Arkansas Traveler I am close to Speed and the people tell me I am too fast Ha ! It’s easier to slow down , but hard to speed up , So I guess it’s good to get to the top speed cause then it’s easy to back off except , then you feel your dragging your feet Ha ! can’t win !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I feel the same way.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I was talking to an old friend from down in Ky on the phone this morning…he hasn’t been able to play guitar for years, but just got shoulder surgery and a Chinese guitar that’s smaller than dreadnought size, so itdoesn’t crank up his shoulder, plus is tuning to open tunings and slack key tunings and now having the joy of playing again…anyway, telling him about my jamming ideas for my youtube channel and he thought it sounded like a good idea.  Hurray…maybe it might be a good idea… I hope.  Anyway, he says he paid 114.00 for his “Recording Key” Chinese guitar…very good bracing, nice tone … I’m like, daggone, we’ve been buying Chinese instruments here lately and they are now really nice and affordable to those of us who just can’t come up with the money for instruments.  Yay…China is helping us out these days.  We’ll have another meeting of old friends next month, and two of us will be jamming!  Fun. This guy taught me so much about playing guitar, back in our teenage years…I’m glad he can play again.  And, I’m hopeful to get into my jamming youtube playlist and see if it can be a fun thing afterall.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Not a recording king? Cool, sounds like fun

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe it was king…we were both on speaker phone and I might’ve misunderstood.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.