I have a new idea for dieting made simple…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? I have a new idea for dieting made simple…

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 6 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey…I’m eating pizza as I write…a rare treat for me!  But before I had the pizza, I had a thought, while the pizza was in the oven.  I guesss I shoulda found the boot camp thread for this, but, well I didn’t, so…here it is.  Iv3 tried calorie counting, which drove me insane and after a lot of annoying math, I struggled to barely lose 1 pound a month until I just got tired of using the calculator and scale for 3very meal.  I tried No S, which makes good sense and should be easy to follow, right ( 3 meals a day except on weekends, when you get snacks too), but I get so hungry after supper I can’t sleep at night because of hunger pains.  I tried the 5:2 diet, and gained a buncha weight…lol.  So…my idea requires some intial calculating and figuring, but I’ve already done that…it’s sort of a disguised, loosely followed calorie co7nting idea.  First, figure up most of th3 foods you regularly eat…for example, I make either muffins or pancakes usually for breakfast…stir frys, smoothies, casseroles, bean burgers, etc., for most meals…occasional sandwiches or pizza, etc., stuff like that.  I figured up a rough estimate ( armed with knowledge from my calorie counting experience las5 year) and convert that into m9ney.  Now I’m calling my kitchen Peggy’s Cafe…I’ve got prices on everything,and a l8mited amount of m9ney per week…I just did this this morning…lol.  But, lik3 today…I usually make 12 muffins with similar ingredients, so I’m charging $1.50 per muffin…I had two and then added butter…I’m charging .60 cents for a “pat of butter,” guessing at the little sliver institutions serve as a pat.  I saw on my Costco gluten free pizza box a 4th of the pizza is 320 calories…so…I had th3 two slices, at $3.20 each, but had extra chees I put on there…plus some meat…extra .90 for the cheese and .50 for the meat… the added onions, mushrooms and peppers were free…so anyway, I’ve spent 7 something ( got it taken out of my play money jar) by now and have about that much money left for today.  If I spend too much, I’ll have to hold back another day…if I have extra left over, there’s a snack like ice cream or something.  I’m planning to write all these prices down as I add foods, then just have my cafe prices all set, a weekly allowance of play money…I’m figuring around 95.00 dollars per week…does that sound simple, or complicated…lol.  Like, if I make a stir fry…I usually put around 1/2 cup of cooked rice ($1.20), two or three cups of veggies, like carrots, cabbage, okra, broccoli, etc…($.60)… small amount of meat of som3 type…($1.00 for chicken or fish…1.80 for something richer)…etc.  I’m not measuring or weighing…just estimating the prices.  Does that sound like a complicated mess, or a good idea for a flexible diet?  As I write it out, it’s sounding more complicated than my original thought…lol…I’ll let you know how it goes.

JD Hood
    JD Hood
    Participant

Sounds complicated to me.  🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…it didn’t sound so complicated when I first had the idea…plus, I’ve got a long ways to go and I’m already up to over $14.00…and if I only get $95.00 per week…well…I’m still hungry now and I know I’ll be hungry and stressed by the end of the day…lol.  Not sure what the answer is.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Now that’s an old-fashioned food plan… Eat until the money runs out, then diet!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Can I get a loan for some Chocolate?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I like the idea. Only if I do it, I want to be the Banker. That way if I need a loan, I’ll just give myself the extra money and eat the whole pizza! One way you could stretch the $95.00 is lower you prices. $1.00 for everything. 6 pork chops = $6.00. 4 slices pizza = $4.00. Or maybe give a price break for larger orders, you know…6 pork chops $4.00; 4 slices pizza…$3.00.

Seriously, though, I just finished a grueling operation three weeks ago and I’ve lost 24 pounds so far since then. I’m only eating a small breakfast of 1 small oatmeal with fat-free milk, 1 slice of dry (no butter) toast; and for lunch some boiled chicken, white rice and canned peach halves. No dinner but sometimes a little vanilla yogurt.

I’ve gone three weeks at this so far, so I’m used to it now.

Good luck with any diet you try. They’re difficult at best.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, I’m sorry to hear about that. I hope you recover quicky.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

I once gave a man the keys to my kingdom and bade him to enter freely and live a happy and healthy life.  He threw them on the ground at my feet; telling me that he would rather spend the rest of his life traveling the four corners of the earth in search of the very thing I freely offered him.

It appears that my many offers are heard only by those who will not hear.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank you, John.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, hope you get fully recuperated soon.  Can you eat normally again at some point?  I’m really lousy at this dieting business…I never had any weight problem until these past few years, once it started happening that we somehow seem to be in charge of so many people’s oxygen supply…I mean, not literally, but just lots of stepping up to help that’s about killed us…somehow, that made me put on weight, for the first time in my life…and now I see how come dieting is such a huge 8ndustry…because it’s about impossible to do.  Once you get the blubber on, forget it…it doesn’t go back off no matter how you choose to torture yourself…lol.  Oh, and by the way…I robbed the play money bank tonight and ate a lot of stuff…yeah…that stupid idea doesn’t work!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi Fred, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope all the physical ails have been fixed now.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

P.S~ I live on under $2 per day — sometimes even just $1 a day.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket & Great Scott: Yes, I’ll eventually be able to return to a normal diet. It’s probably a long ways off, but I think I’m making good strides.

After recovering from a heart attack and receiving 4 stents and five by-passes, I retired and moved from upstate NY to eastern Tennessee in 2011. Shortly after arriving there, it was discovered that I had bladder cancer and three years and six operations later, I have now had the last two check ups free of cancer and the Dr. said “See you in 6 months” both times, so that’s really good.

But a few months back I developed colon cancer and just recently had an operation to remove a tumor and eleven lymph nodes. I was told by the surgeon that I am cancer-free and I’m scheduled for a 3-month check up in April right around the same time I see my bladder cancer Dr.

So, I am very, very pleased with the wonderful doctors, hospitals and their staff(s) that have carefully nursed me back to health. Once my colon “wakes up” ( a term the doctors use), I’ll be able to eventually return to a decent meal plan. But really, I don’t mind. I can play my fiddle to my heart’s content and enjoy life. What more could I ask for? ( well, maybe a piece of pizza…but not yet.) lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow, it sounds like you’ve been on a tough ride, but good doctors and medicine have seen you through.  Glad things are looking up for you now…keep on fiddling!  That pizza won’t be too much longer!  I’m happy you are on the mend.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Diet results after one day…total fail.  Got some weird garden seeds in the mail, which has the opposite effect…makes me want to do more cooking, in anticipation of all the cool weird stuff I’ll be growing in just a few weeks!  Back home from business matters in TN…life might get more normal for a while, which makes me feel like cooking….lol.   But not counting.  Hate to count.  Scott, do you eat only 1,000 calories per day, or did I misunderstand what your dollar a day meant?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, you are a survivor! I’m praying your recover completely and are able to enjoy both food and fiddling. 🙂

Great Scott; you are a lean, green, veggie-consuming machine. I am convinced that a strict and “healthy” vegetable diet is the best for us people.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank you so much, John.

JD Hood
    JD Hood
    Participant

Fred, you are in my prayers, thanks for sharing.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank You very much, JD.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank you, too, Cricket. I meant to thank you the other day and it totally slipped my mind. I must have grabbed my fiddle and became absorbed or something. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m anxiously waiting for your pizza party, Fred!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in