I just made a discovery!

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum I just made a discovery!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Of course, I’m usually the last person in the world to figure this kinda stuff out.

But, we all know that of course if you move up a string (or down a string ptichwise) you can play something as you would in D, in G…just by moving all the fingering, double stops, etc. up a string…or if you think of it as down a string…closer to the ceiling…lol.  To me that’s up, but pitchwise that’s down …this is why when I do the driving through the big city I can’t make heads or tails from Mike’s directions…but anyway…you can play in G the same as how you played in D.  I’m supposing…but don’t know for sure and don’t have a fiddle in hand with standard tuning at the moment, but supposing this means you’d play the same double stops you used in D on the high strings, G for middle strings…if you’d go start on the two low strings you must be playing in C…but it’d be low…I mean those two high strings would be …well, let’s not go there now, because I’m just saying most people figure that out soon into fiddling.

Like…if you play Oh, them Golden Slippers in D…and somebody comes along and says let’s play it in G…no problem…just play it one string up…same way.

Ok…that’s my starting point to tell my discovery…my discovery is that I’ve used Sawmill Tuning quite a bit …more than any other way of tuning…and I’ve loved it and feel pretty comfortable with it.  This would be GDGD, or AEAE, or you could even go lower with it…i.e., something like FCFC,  if you wanted…the point is two sets of perfect fifth tuned (which sound like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star), an ocatve apart.

Ok, well sometimes I tune to what I’m used to calling Cumberland Gap tuning…two sets of perfect fourths…so…if you were in GDGD, you change those Ds to Cs…or AEAE…bring those Es down to Ds…then you have the sound of the beginning notes of Here Comes the Bride…except…the interval between your middle two strings…i.e., the now D, to the A, you have a Twinkle, Twinkle sound…a perfect fifth in there.

So how is this a discovery?  Well that alone isn’t, but during my few years of fiddling experience, I’ve never felt as comfortable in Cumberland Gap tuning, so I usually only resort to it for tunes that I just need in D, or maybe C if I’m playing a low version.  But…here a few minutes ago I was fiddling around with it and discovered that because of that perfect fifth in the middle two strings of CG tuning…you can play something on those two strings exactly as you would in Sawmill tuning…so, for instance, if I’m playing Cripple Creek in GDGD…it comes out in G and it’s just a bad singing key for me…so I’m up on that high string on three, going to one and then the next string on three, with a double stop on one on the high string.

But if I try Cripple Creek in Cumberland Gap tuning, it’s different and the drones and double stops aren’t gonna work the same.  However, let’s say I tuned Cumberland Gap tuning using GCGC…then play it on the two middle strings using the same fingering as the two high strings in Sawmill. Of course the two outer strings are gonna be different stuff, but the two middle strings will work out the same.

Hope that’s not confusing.  Or else, maybe everybody else already figured it out and I’m peddling as fast as I can behind…lol…anyway, I got excited to realize that, and amazed I just sorta didn’t really fully see how that could be utilized to my benefit for singing until this afternoon.

Ok …that’s it.  Exciting to me…hopefully made sense what I’m trying to say.  Someday I could maybe put that on youtube, but I’m holding off on youtube until I see who drops who first…them or me…lol.  Because I’m not sure.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

I understood that. I don’t use alternate tunings, but I get it

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Ha! I totally don’t understand your understanding of “up” and “down”, but I knew where you were headed with this before you got to it.
    all makes perfect sense.

So if lower notes are “up”…do you move “down” the neck toward the bridge then?

Does it depend on which end of the fiddle is pointed north? (do you go down North?)

I don’t tune to an alternator either…is the first letter the big or little string?

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Dave, since Mike has to take some time away from driving,,,you should hear similar discussions in the car while he navigates,,,lol…yeah, it’s funny how we all perceive “direction.”

Glad you could make sense out of my meanderings, Gunnar!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Ha, no commit , I am still trying to untangle it all , Maybe it’s best I do not think !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Steve, I think I did a terrible job trying to put it into words.  I really should make ayoutube explaining it…one of these days when there’s time for that and I can get into the mood for facing the camera…lol…plus if my youtube channel stays there…I might just try to show what I’m trying to say.  It’s hard to put into words.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I think I know what you’re saying.  I try to experiment like that. As for alternate tuning I don’t much like to do that.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I thought your explanation was fine Peggy.

Any confusion for me came from an the abundance of examples of things I was unfamiliar with. Those examples answer a lot of potential questions though, so including them wasn’t off base or long-winded in my opinion.

If I was a beginner and wanted to retune, I could follow your explanation and make the same discovery myself…so I’d say you did fine at conveying your message.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Thanks, Dave.  That stuff is kinda hard to talk about…can’t find the right words, and when you’re as long-winded about everything as I am, you can easily get all totally tangled up in too much explanation, etc.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ugh…I think it’s time to stop trying to discuss musical stuff and just either play it or keep it to myself…lol…just got into, and had a tough time getting out of, a very tangled up discussion on FHO about tuning, tunings, vibrations per second, history, physics…etc.  It was too much a mess and disorganized and went everywhere…plus I’m not sure the historical facts, any of them, are accurate, let alone my abilities in physics to know or say what I think I know…lol…ugh.  Yet I could’ve easily just played something on youtube to show and tell my thoughts instead of getting all tangled up.  HEre’s another good resolution for me for 2020…just play it, don’t tell it.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I fully understand what you’re saying, Cricket. As you know I got into a kerfuffle there, (FHO) too. But mine was one where I became offended by the way a fellow questioned an essay I posted. I guess I took his post wrong. It’s so hard to tell one’s intent by the typed word. I took it as sarcasm and reacted to it that way. Now I don’t think he meant it that way and I believe I’ve lost a potential friend. This late in life I don’t like doing that.

So, no more essays and stating too much of my opinion on there. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Fred, in my opinion, the atmosphere at FHO has changed quite a bit in recent years.  They used to be more accommodating to people throwing ideas or opinions out there.  The only really hot topic was usually bowing…lol…and there were two people who got into it while the rest of us watched, learned, waffled back and forth between sides…but in the end it was kept pretty civil.  Maybe I’m wrong, but seems to me people are ready to jump all over anybody with something to say…maybe it’s me, but I don’t enjoy the company over there very much anymore.  As you know, it’s really unfortunate so many of the old good talkers from the old days over there have passed on within the past 5 or 6 years.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

You’re so right, Cricket. I especially missed OTJunky when he passed.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Me too.  So many gone now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.