If you're not earning a living with your fiddling…here's the answer!

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? If you're not earning a living with your fiddling…here's the answer!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 5 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You’re just going about this all wrong!

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

I have always heard there are tens of dollars to be made playing bluegrass

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha this made my day.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…yep, better put that fiddle down, because in no time flat, we can learn the banjo and start making friends and several dollars…lol.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Sign me up …I’ll pay you back when I get my first check…well, maybe my second one….I’ll have to spend my first one toasting all my new friends..

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

How to have a million dollars playing Bluegrass: start with two million!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…come on now, guys…why all the skepticism here?????

John Cockman
    Keymaster

This is the only music form where you drive a hundred miles and pay $10 to hear yourself play.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

True..just sounds kinda nuts, doesn’t it?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

What could be more fun than an “Open Mic” where you and an accomplished guitar playing friend decide on three of your favorite fiddle tunes and set out to play them and……just as you’re introducing the first tune, the stage behind you is swarmed by novice musicians who have invited themselves to your open mic moment in the sun?

And, you are planning on performing a waltz (Celtic, with a gazillion beautiful chord changes), a lightning fast (I mean lightning fast) reel that’s incredibly hard to keep up with, and for a third tune, a moderately paced tune in B Flat and the “volunteer” guitar, fiddle and mandolin accompanists are out of tune with their poorly-positioned capos!?

This is why I rarely ever sign up for “Open Mic”. “Open Mic” is a nightmare when the stage fills with “volunteers”.

Of course this scenario works equally well with banjo tunes, too. Been there. Done that. T-shirt in the closet. lol!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like…a good time gone bad…lol!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s why I started bringing my own backup music on CD cause good folks where killing me with good intentions and I am not strong enough to play violin and play past them !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahahah Fred I am feeling the pain right now! Although I once resembled the novice intruders so I can’t complain too loudly. 🙂  But I agree, the open mic is definitely a mixed bag. We usually make this rule: Don’t join in on a special UNLESS you are specifically invited, as in, “Y’all help me out on this one!”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in