I'll Fly Away

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by John (BGD) John (BGD) 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’ll Fly Away
    I never realized that Albert Brumley took the idea for this song from “The Prisoner’s Song,” a popular tune of the day. It is so interesting to me to learn the history behind songs and tunes. It gives a connection to the past that adds richness to the song when I play it back. Hope you all enjoy this old standard!

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/ill-fly-away-fiddle-lesson/

mikhaelynwhite58
    Participant

good’o’ld fiddle tune good job johnny boy

kevinj
    kevinj
    Participant

John, by any chance does your notation software have the capability of exporting a MIDI file, or a MusicXML file? If so, that would save me some typing in the notes for that intermediate version into my notation program so I can get a MIDI file… Thanks

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

So many great lessons— so little time! Gonna have to add this one to my wish list and sit down and learn all these great songs!

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Dr. John,

I’ll Fly Away has been a part of my family’s music for quite a while and I can’t wait to be able to join in with the fiddle.   THIS IS GREAT!!!!!  A problem that I’m finding is that you provide so many marvelous songs that I want to learn them all RIGHT NOW!  Nice problem to have though!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

This is a great one. It was a big hit at Dr. Cockman’s Free Fiddle Camp, 2014. 🙂 Hope to hear you play it soon!

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

I be practicing this one for a whole year now, jammed it out with a banjo player this week end, a friend from Montreal came up to play, the country music on Sunday had a real treat. We don’t see banjo enough up in these parts, but Kevin wants to learn the fiddle ?and said he ll be coming around this mountain once a month .
    Thanks again John for the awesomest brakes, you make me sound good out there ?
    Your the best, and I want to buy Kevin a membership here at BGD as his wedding gift, I showed him the site and he was in love ?❤️?
    Gu
    P.s can I get a 3 for 2 deal on life time memberships? Or 3/4 LOL WINK WINK

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha you bet I’ll cut you a deal on the lifetime membership. 🙂 Unless you’re like Great Scott and by all appearances are going to live forever.

Thanks for spreading the word about BGDU. The time may be right for yet another banjo picker to join the dark side.

Brian Ross
    Participant

Just listening to the intermediate version alone I wasn’t all that impressed, but with the back up tracks, it sounds awesome.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It really doesn’t start sounding good until it’s almost too fast to play! 🙂

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

The step from beginner to intermediate is …Huge!   Tangled fingers are a current concern but love this piece and want to get it down.   Adding it to my daily practice now.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It is a big jump! Such a beautiful classic. Thank you for playing it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.