I'm visiting the UK next week! (May 10-24)

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? I'm visiting the UK next week! (May 10-24)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Next week the girls and I are traveling from London to the Scottish highlands, then back down. We will be in the UK from the 10th to the 24th. I’m taking my fiddle and hope to do some jamming.

If you’ve been to the UK or live in the UK, please feel free to give me travel advice!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Have a good time and stay safe !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

If you meant University of Kentucky, I might have advice…lol.  But I guess it’s the other UK…lol.  Just kidding.  Have fun, guys.  I know people from there and know that when you eat a sandwich you’re eating a “sarnie,” and that’s about all I can think of.  They love American music over there, so the jamming oughta be great fun. Jean Ritchie went over and tried to show them American ballads and each one, they were like, no, that’s our ballad..lol.  So, it’s all got roots over there. Happy travels, mates!

Joe
    Participant

We do expect pics and videos John.  haha have fun.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Have a delightful time as I’m sure y’all will. Looking forward to your stories upon return.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Could be university of Kansas ?????? Two weeks is a long time ! Like whos going to keep Me and Cricket and all the rest of the kids out of trouble ??? Oh goody no parent and home alone ! Cricket you got any good mischievous suggestions or things to get into ??? oh boy fun , fun , You could leave early Daddy / Doctor John ! yippee ! I mean we’ll miss You !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahaha Steve. I’ll still be in WiFi zone for most of the time, so don’t let things get out of hand. 🙂

I’m compiling a list of tunes that would be fun to play “on location” which I can later incorporate into lessons. Please let me know if you think of any more! (I won’t be traveling to Ireland, unfortunately.)

Edinburgh Castle
    “Flowers of Edinburgh”

Battle of Bannockburn
    “O Flower of Scotland”

Trossachs National Park
    “The Braes Of Balquhidder” (“Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go”)

Loch Lomond
    “Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond”

Afton Water near New Cumnock
    “Flow Gently Sweet Afton”

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

I first heard and learned ‘Flow Gently Sweet Afton” in a one room school up near the Canadian border almost 70 years ago.  With a bit of YouTube help, I scratched it out on  fiddle.   Always loved  it!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, as soon as some of my early gardening work gets caught up, I”m gonna start some trouble…lol!  I gotta hurry before teacher gets back to the classroom.  YOu can get started without me, but I’ll be up to something as soon as I can!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sorry John , I tried to look up some UK tunes and all I could find in my search is far out crazy stuff top 100 was like rap and crazy stuff new age ,acid like rock , Hey your on your own !

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John I just though of a UK song , Johnny Horton’s song ,[ Battle of new Orleans ,  ] That would fix You right up there laddie ! Put that under there bloody bonnet !  Ha !

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Hi John – Below is a tune to add to your list:

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Hector the Hero sheet music can be found on the Happy Hollow website.

<see below>

Go to Tune of the month.  Go to Archive tunes. Go to October 2009.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

kjdebolt
    Participant

Have fun.  I loved Scotland when I visited.  I was driving through the countryside and around a turn (in the middle of nowhere) there was a man in a kilt playing a bagpipe.  Amazing Grace no less.  I often think that droning amazing grace sounds like that bagpipe.  Cheers!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great tune. I’m sad I won’t make it to a Tattoo! I’m there the wrong time of the year for that.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Two more:

At the Scotland/England Border:
    “Blue Bonnets Over The Border”

In Glasgow:
    “Bluebells of Scotland”

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Hector  The Hero woke up a bunch of my British red blood cells.  Will probably never learn it but will listen to it frequently from now on.  Thanks Nancy

kjdebolt
    Participant

I was there for the tattoo (1978) long time ago but it was wonderful!!!!!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I did this very poor, & I will try to do it over, but I’ve got to start somewhere so I’ll put it up, but this is one of my favorites.  I only did the first half…haven’t learned the whole thing yet.   It’s an Irish tune called King of the Fairies.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, great job! This is one of my favorites, and even makes it into one of my dance set lists. Good work on this one!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Do NOT sink for vun Minute zat zhere vill be any trouble tolerated!!!

Do NOT sink for vun Minute zat vile zha Cat is avay zat zha Mice vill play!

You will ALL be under schtrikt obsehr–vation ; und bad behavior vill not be tolerated in zis Prison ‘Holiday Resort’ vile Commandant Jean is avay having fun in zha English Sun.  If you vant to play up and be bad little Jungen und Mädchen, zen zehre vill be NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!

Signed,

Colonel Von Schinkenbrot,

Chief of Crowd control, Life-long Spy, Sensitive Saboteur, Reliable Espionage Agent, Connoisseur of fine Art and Soup, Molecular Gastronomist, Neurosurgeon, Professional and lovable Interloper, and all-round nice Guy.   🙂

Great Scott
    Great Scott

John Cockman wrote:

If you’ve been to the UK or live in the UK, please feel free to give me travel advice!

Okay, here goes with the Dos and Dont’s:

— DON’T talk to strangers.

— DON’T take candy from strangers.

— Stay clear of the London Tube (underground)

— DON’T wear a red baseball cap.

— DON’T wear a red baseball cap with the logo “Make America Great Again.”

— DON’T eat your Haggis with your fingers.  And try not to vomit when they bring it out.

— DON’T eat your hot chips with a knife and fork. Eat your Chips out of the paper wrapping.  Tear a small hole in the bottom of the wrapping and pull the chips out.  However, if buying Fish ‘n Chips, neatly unwrap the package that they come in and eat with your fingers on Brighton Wharf.  They tase great with vinegar sprinkled over the top.

— DON’T torment or tickle the guards at the front of Buckingham Place to get a laugh out of them.  They are ordered not to move,; but they could still shoot you without them moving.

—  DON’T get drunk and slur your words and end up referring to Queen Elizabeth as Kween Elizardbreath.  You will NOT be very popular:)

— DON’T go playing with the AK47s that you will see being lovingly held in the arms of thousands of British troops who walk the streets of London.

— DON’T make loud noises (i.e; yelling, screaming, breaking wind, yodeling) when visiting Loch Ness, otherwise Nessy will never show herself.

— DON’T take memorabilia from the Tower of London. The bottom has fallen out of the market for severed heads … no matter how old they are.

DO believe in Fairies, Pixies, Goblins and Elves.  They really do exist.  Trust me, I should know.  I have watched Lord of the Rings at least 20 times.  🙂

DO take your sunscreen and apply it regularly, because the English sun is quite capable of penetrating all the haze, the pollution, the Chemtrails, the never-ending ominous heavy black clouds and the permanent cloud cover that looks like a permanent Winter and burning you to a crisp.

— DO always carry a brolly with you, and wear a Bowler hat.  You will fit right in with the business Gents.

Ten of the Best Hat Shops in London

— DO try to learn some of the Queen’s English.  It is, after all, the way English is meant to be spoken.

— And for the sake of all those in the line of sight, please, DO try to wear something under your kilt on a windy day.  Otherwise you might blind a few people and could be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

Above all else:

–DO have a wonderful and safe trip.  Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure over a cuppa and some leftover vegetarian Haggis when you return.

Toodle-loo, Pip-pip and Cheerio for now Old boy!!!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cheerio Great Scott! Thank you for all the advice. I will unfortunately not be visiting Brighton this trip, but I will definitely land some Fish and Chips at some point.

I appreciate the link to the London hatteries! I will also be visiting the Lochcarron of Scotland visitors center (they made the plaid cap that one sees in several of my videos).

https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/lochcarron-visitor-center

As for the laddie in the plaiddie; I do have a kilt, but rarely go “True Scotsman.” As a musician, I would be in danger of causing unwanted exposure when standing too close to the edge of the stage, or too close to the convex, chrome base of the microphone stand.

I did once ask a Scotsman if anything was worn under the kilt and he replied “Aye, worn badly, and ‘twould be worn clean away if not for all the talcum powder!” I’m not sure what that meant, but from the face he made it could not be anything good.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

My college roommate was from England. We became great buddies and we went and visited them a few years ago.  She lives down south in Cornwall if you get down there. And I have a good friend living in London doing mission work with schools. Be sure and eat fish and chips. Black pudding is OK, just don’t ask what is in it. Mind the gap, drive on the left, and I think you will survive. Enjoy

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Fran! We have been minding the gap for the last two days now. 🙂  I had my first black pudding yesterday morning, very much like our livermush but with less cornmeal. The girls didn’t like it but I thought it was decent. This evening we had fish and chips, and it was really good. It would have been cool to meet your friend in London! I enjoy doing school programs. We will unfortunately not make it to Cornwall this trip. However, that is very near where the Cockman name originated, so we may eventually visit!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Enjoy your stay…those days will probably fly by so fast you’ll wonder what happened!

Dcarver

Oh wow, hope you are loving your visit. I’ve heard you gotta have some big boy britches to play a fiddle over there 😮

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Watch out for that whole wedding crowd!  Looks pretty eongested…not to mention they are all driving the wrong way!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I headed north to get away from the wedding! 🙂 I actually did visit the wedding grounds last weekend though. I’m in Scotland this weekend and will try to record about nine Scottish tunes with my phone. The weather is beautiful!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in