Improvising using modal chord progressions

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Improvising using modal chord progressions

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    nagumaqnagumaq
    Participant

It s always ” too soon ” at 10;24 , so , I m with ya , I rewind , and do it again :O) !

RockRock
    Participant

Gu, are you going to put words in every box in this thread? 🙂 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Yeeeeehawwww Gu! 🙂 🙂 🙂 You just made my day! Can’t wait to hear your creative juices overflowing on the modal improv. I love you too!

nagumaqnagumaq
    Participant

Yay John ! happy days among us , let us be in the light and find joy through out all the strange energy surrounding we and our families . Let our music be the healing bridge for all those and things whom need it . You make me so happy , keeping me reminding myself of this great work we have to do . I think all keys have a unique purpose connection and healing property . D minor I think is the saddest sounding one , making the relative major F quite triste as well ? Humm , got to think about this one , you have no idea how you made MY DAY , I just got a contract to play fiddle in B !!! LOL
    So I came back to my faithful improvising using chord progression page for a boost of B in 8 :O) You Rock !! Yeehaw , hope you and your family is having a great day too . And to BGD family as well , bon journer a touses !

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Gu, your words are like rainbows. You have to be one of the most creative writers I know. I agree about Dm. It is such a mournful key. Congrats on your contract! We need more lessons for tunes in B here.

Participant

Did you ever do the lessons on modal progressions?  I would like to start at he beginning.  Was wondering where that is! LOL

Participant

Sorry I meant on improvisation – you were going to put together a lesson on that topic that started with modal progressions/  Was wondering if you ever completed the improv lesson

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi! Thanks for the reminder. I do have several lessons created but they are unfinished. 🙁  I will get on to it!

Zazen fiddleZazen fiddle
    Participant

John, When I play the C backtrack what are the chords being played. What is the chord progression? I’m really trying to figure this stuff out. I have touched on the modes before in my studies but have yet to understand the whole thing. I might come closer to understanding if I could recognize Chords .

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi! We are discussing this page:

Improvising using modal chord progressions
    The chord progression is according to the seven modes. See the second paragraph below the table of modes in the key of C:

“For example, the C modal progression is C, then D minor, then E minor, the F, then G, then A minor, then B half-diminished. All of these chords use the same seven notes.”

Most songs only use the 1, 4, 5, and 6 chords, but for this jam I wanted to use all seven!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I miss a lot of the folks who used to be on here.  Hope they are ok and happily busy.

Zazen fiddleZazen fiddle
    Participant

John,

Thanks for your timely response.

This will help me wrap my mind around modal progression. It appears to me that Modal progression means playing every key’s  Note or root Chord in order. This order is determined by a Modal( WWhWWh) and others, pattern.

My next question is about the starting of the Scale on the second note will causes a different sound. In your example in the first video using the key of C. When we move to starting the C scale on D do we apply the same interval pattern or do we apply the different modals? Example… CDEFGAB (WWhWWh) Ionian then starting with D….. DEFGABC  (WhWWWhW) Dorian? I hope I asked the question right. It is leading to a better understanding. I just want to get it right so I can bank on the fundamentals when I get stumped.

Best, Wanda

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Cricket, I heard from Gu just a few months ago! He suffered an injury but is getting back into things.

Wanda, you are correct! From above:

“The seven notes of the C Ionian Mode are C-D-E-F-G-A-B. If you are familiar with a piano keyboard, these are the white notes starting with C.”

If you look at the whole and half note pattern when playing all the white notes starting with C, you will notice this pattern:

W W h W W W h

This is called the C Ionian scale, or more commonly the Major scale.

Also from above:

“If you were to play those same seven notes, but starting with D, the you would play D-E-F-G-A-B-C. These are the still the white notes on a piano, just starting at a different location. This is the second mode, called Dorian. Since the second mode started with on the D note, you would call it D Dorian.”

Notice now that if you play the white notes starting with D, the whole and half note patter is:

W h W W W h W

This is called D Dorian or more commonly D minor.

Continue on through the other modes, each starting on the next white note, which is the next note of the root Ionian scale.

Hope that helps!
    John

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.