In the Garden

This topic contains 30 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 7 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I discovered the tablature here under sheet music way back say 7 months ago but did not know for sure if my timing was right , Well I found a U-tube of it by Brad Pasley that’s played in the same key of G its great to play along with , the intro is the last two lines of Johns Tablature he goes through it twice ends with the last two lines then the fiddle plays through it . I used the Grab online videos and put it with Johns videos that are on my computer . It really is easy to play along with .

https://youtu.be/Xn4dIPkBepk

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Steve,  this is one of my favorites!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Glad you like it Rock , I am playing along with Brad Pasley everyday since I added it to my rotation . It not be like playing live in a jam but better than playing by myself !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a good way to jam, Steve!  I do stuff like that sometimes.  That particular song instantly sends me into tears…like uncontrollable, because we always sang it on the farm, while in the garden working…and it just takes me back to a beautiful place and time, with beautiful people now gone.  I get instantly weepy…lol.  A few months back a good lifelong, now long distant,  friend of mine had a funeral near us here for her sister…I surprised her by showing up, which she didn’t expect…and it had been a long tine since we’d seen each other…well it was a simple service in the basement of a church…everything going good…then they did that song.  I felt my insides turn inside out, uncontrollable emotions welling up, and me biting my lip, trying hard to make it through the song…wondering if I should just get up and head for the nearest exit or what…then lost it, buried my face into a cake  napkin, plate thing, and sobbed into uncontrollably….lol…oh my gosh it was embarrassing.  People started coming around hugging me as I just sobbed like an idiot.  Once the song ended, I got back together again…lol.  I felt totally stupid…if I’d had any idea they were gonna do that one, I’d have left the room before it started, and returned afterward.  I felt so embarrassed…I can’t explain how that song takes me back to a place and time and loved ones…to another world, another life entirely…gone away now forever and can’t be retrieved, and I, in my childhood innocense, believing it to be eternal and never ending.  I look back today and miss it all so much…the people, the gardens, the blue sky and ducks making noises on the pond, the river gurgling over the hill…the happiness and love.  Sorry…I’m a hopeless sap…I can’t even begin to say what this song does to me…tears streaming as I try…lol…I didn’t try at my friend’s sister’s funeral…there was no way I could begin to explain.  I was very tied to that piece of land, the people there, and the beauty of it all.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

We all need to be touched like that from time to time

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

And try NOT to create a scene though…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s a touching story, Cricket. I’m the same kind of sappy.

Steve, I need to get a lesson up for Glen Duncan’s break on Brad Paisley’s “In the Garden.” It’s borderline advanced!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I’m glad I’m not alone in sappiness…lol…although I’m not saying it about you, John….lol…just reading what you wrote. I’m wondering if it might be a certain sappiness tendency that leads people to play musical instruments in the first place.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Maybe that’s why we use rosin on our bow’s.  It’s just sap.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Excellent point!  Also why we love maple syrup!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

The moe I listen to other fiddlers, the more Glen Duncan stands out from the crowd for me. I’ll be working on this for sure…always liked this song and love his treatment of it on this recording.

this is a steel guitar break if I ever heard one. and the gospel /organ type structure is awesome..

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sorry to change the subject…but speaking of tree sap…pine sap…wondering…who else took turpenhydrate (sp?) when they were little?  If you had a cold, and coughed once, they’d give you that nasty stuff that’s somehow associated with turpentine (also used medicinally if you didn’t run away fast enough), but after a couple of terrible spoonfuls of that stuff, you’d never cough again for a whole year…why isn’t there turpenhydrate now?  Now if you get a cold that goes into a cough, you will have it for two months!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

People here still make a cough syrup from spruce or pine tree sap & boil it down in tea…for colds & coughs…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well that’s interesting.  In recent years I tried Vicks Formula 44 and the allergic reaction I had to it sent me to the ER in the middle if the night…probably about ten years ago.  It was a bad chest cold going around that winter.  Normally I avoid medicines…lol.  After that I made sure to make use of the horehound I grow for such illnesses, or have tried various other thing, like boiling cherries down, or crushing raw pineapple…combing garlic and honey…lemon and honey, etc.  But if you get a bad cough, those things aren’t that helpful.  Fortunately the colds that include the terrible cough don’t go around except every few years…but last spring one of our old friends from the hills died with it, at the age of 64.  Then, this year a similar thing has been making the rounds, keeping neighbors sick for weeks…fortunately we’ve somehow avoided it to this point…hope I didn’t just put the hex on us saying that…lol.  But, yeah , thinking of sap…it’s good stuff and I guess I should try boiling some down.  Where we used to live there were scrub pines everywhere…always dripping with very sticky resin…easy to scrap some off walking in the woods.  Up here…mostly cedar and some white pines…not as sappy as what we used to have around us.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m still pretty sappy, myself, though.🌲

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I think here, they also use the needles to boil down a potient.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

might be a good subject for a new thread…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Sorry Dave,  wasn’t being disrespectful.  I always like to keep a thread alive that I’m interested in, otherwise it disappears & is forgotten.  I’ve been using the youtube to practice & didn’t want to see it disappear…I could just bookmark it I guess, but after a few days there’s not much to add to a subject & I like to help keep the forum going too…what is annoying is when it gets several pages long and then takes an extra page load to access the current post, but it’s either that or have it disappear into obscurity..not sure what others think…I don’t want to offend..sorry..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m the one who got us off topic, I think…sorry about t that.  Great Scott used to keep me in line…now I’m on my own…lol.  I am sorry for skewing the discussion.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I listened to a bunch of other youtube renditions on this, and one thing I picked up is how most players don’t exploit the chromatic changes (if that’s what their called) which are the key points in the song.  In fact some actually practically cause them to disappear with their technique.  If you go into those changes in a way to make them stand out, it completely changes the song.  There’s also some magnificent double stops possible that one player found.

One thing I ran into on some of them is the accompanist sort of grandstanding & drowning out the violin, and totally distracting from the piece…which I consider to be the unforgivable crime.  If your going to grandstand the background, at least do it softly to give the listener a choice as to what he wants to listen to.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

No big deal on the thread hijacking…My thinking is: if you thought of something to add to a sap collecting conversation would you normally think to look under a song title topic? Some people just skim the topic heading for what they are interested in…by having a conversation under an unrelated topic you may be missing out on some really great input by others who don’t read every post on the forum.

also, as Roger mentioned, having to dig through 3-4 pages of off-topic stuff does make it a bit difficult to follow a 2 pg topic you’re interested in…it’s like switching books every other paragraph…haha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hear ya on that, Dave!  We can be all over the place in conversation, but then we can always drift back without losing anything…it’s different online…makes it harder to navigate through and find the gist of the post. And, Rodger, I totally agree…if your’re backing someone up, it’s your job to assist what they’re doing, not go wild on your own…lol.   I’ve heard that before and it ain’t a good thing for musicians to do.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

well, I’ve managed to tab out about 25 measures of Glen’s solo so far…whew…don’t even know how many hours so far but over ten for sure… taking me forever, but i have all winter….haha

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fiddlewood are you going to share ? When you get it done .

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’m stuck right now…can’t get it to add measures on the end and I’ve run out at 32…

Steve, I was going to get it finished and then pay to have John write it out if he hadn’t gotten to it yet, so I can find my mistakes through comparison.

I’m only trying to write it to help my memory while learning it and to get some practice on TablEdit.

There are so many nuances in it that I can’t get the tab to mimic that I’ll probably end up hand-writing it just for correctness sake.

I don’t mind sharing what I have, but it is probably completely Wrong in several spots…I’d hate to send someone down the wrong path, if you know what I mean.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fiddlewood I knew you wouldn’t mind sharing but your right it would not be good for it to be wrong , John said it was border line advanced the way its played .

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’d agree with that assessment…some of it is pretty challenging for me, I know that.

Angela
    Participant

You may not want to hear this now. But Dr John has the Duncan break in the sheet music. I’ve used it several times. It’s a great break to one of my favorite hymns.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Angela , got it, woopie !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Ha! So he does!

Well. I was pretty close actually.

I’ll probably change a couple things to John’s version and keep a couple things my way (just out of orneryness).

Spent about four hours trying to get it recorded today, but no luck yet…

Not really having the basic melody in my head yet, I keep messing up on the timing.

Tomorrow is another day…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Dave, I just listened to your performance on the adjacent thread. It sounds great!

Speaking of sappy (rosiny?); I do think musicians tend to be more emotional. A song like “In the Garden” tears me up. When I hear it, I always think about my grandmother listening to Bev Shea. What great memories!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in