Incredibow: Yea or Nay?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Incredibow: Yea or Nay?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

Looking through the site, I found several conversations in a variety of topics that included incredibow. The conversations were from various years. I got lost trying to trace them all down LOL!

Hoping no one minds a new topic on an old subject: Incredibows. I watch a young fella by the name of Brett Dudenhoeffer and just recently noticed his Incredibow. A few years back, I toyed with purchasing one, then life happened and I totally forgot about it, until seeing his.

So thoughts: like it or no? Will it bring some much needed volume to my 5 string CF fiddle? No matter how quickly I play the Glasser CF fiddle with the Glasser CF bow, there just doesn’t seem to be any volume to it, nor does the sound “ring” (although I’m thinking dead strings might be the culprit there).

Admittedly, the Incredibow is eye candy that I enjoy. But what about sound quality? Listening to Brett, it sound good. But that kid can make anything sound good…

Thoughts? Thanks!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Hey, Lisa!  I have two incredibows.  I bought one way back when I first started fiddling, because I had the fear of my bows needing a re-hair and my not being able to afford it.  So, since they are supposedly good for several years and the hair won’t wear out, etc., it was sort of a precautionary move, since financial difficulties have always limited my ability to play musical instruments.

Anyway, when i got the first one, I liked how I didn’t seem to squeak so much with it.  I was new, of course, and kinda squeakier than I wanted to be.  As I got more comfortable fiddling and holding the bow, etc., I discovered that for me personally, the incredibow has two issues:  the hair is tighter than i like it to be, and you can’t change how it is.  I didn’t know how I liked it to be back then, but over time I realized I liked my bow hair pretty loose for most of my playing.  So the incredibow seems way too tight for my taste by this point, several years later.  And the second issue for me personally is that the configuration of the area where the frog normally would be on a regular bow hurts my hand, because of my particular bow hold I’ve come to embrace for my own fiddling (I play with my thumb under the frog and my top of my knuckles resting over top of the frog part).  So, I can’t play real long with the incredibow without getting a hand cramp.  I mean, it’s not so bad I couldn’t play through it, but I’d rather not have something hurt while I’m playing.

But here recently, i guess it’s been a couple of years ago by now, I bought myself a cheap Chinese cello…I guess just because I had a moment of crazy hit me or something…anyway, the cello was around 200 bucks for the cello, extra strings, terrible case (but still a case!), stand, and a bow and rosin.  Well, knowing that bow had to be really, really cheaply made, I ordered myself another incredibow for playing cello…again, just in case my one and only cheapie cello bow bit the dust on me, knowing I just might not have the funds at that time to get another one or get the cheap one repaired.  So I have two incredibows now.

I gotta say…now that I’m not as squeaky a fiddler, I actually squeak more on the incredibow than on regular bows…but in the beginning, I liked the incredibow because it seemed to allow me to be less squeaky.

So I think they are made pretty sturdy and it’s a pretty good company.  I have my two in case I go broke and need bows, but I don’t use them.

That might not be much help…lol…but it’s just my experience with incredibows.  Too bad you can’t walk into a Wal Mart and grab one off the shelf and try it out…lol…so…you have to just read about it, think about it and either order or not.  I think they are pretty good, but I’m not using mine because I like my other bows a whole lot better.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Nay fore me on incredibow no adjustment !

Participant

Cricket and Steve: The inability to adjust the tension was the first hesitation I had. I’ve read somewhere that loose bow yields easier double stops (??) or maybe it was the tighter bow. I do tend to prefer a tighter bow.

Cricket:  I like your mindset about it being a good back up for when times get hard(er). When I got my first CF bow, it lost string within the first few strokes of play! YIKES! Having ordered it online, I just didn’t want to fuss with shipping it back, waiting,, and eventually getting it again. It was from Fiddlershop.com, and I know they would have been fine with it. I just couldn’t be bothered, as I’d have to drive into town in order to ship it back LOL

I do have quite a few bows of different price ranges and it’s funny, because one day a particular bow would sound just “blah” to me, then a few days later it would sound WONDERFUL to me.

I wish I COULD just waltz into a store and try-before-I-buy. When I start back to work in a couple of weeks and funds build up a bit, I might purchase an incredi bow for a back up, like you say…

Thanks for the input y’all!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I have a Zarelon bow with synthetic hair, which I like well enough. It still has all its hair, even after several years of playing! I use it when I’m outdoors in not-so-good weather. Not my favorite bow though. I don’t like the feel of the synthetic hair as much as I do horse hair. I have actually never tried the incredibow though!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I like the bows I’ve gotten via BGD from Fiddlershop…carbon fiber and I guess horse hair…whatever those are they are nicer to play with than any bows I’ve had, which have been cheapies mainly.  I think their cost was maybe approx half that of an incredibow, if I’m remembering right. I don’t play much, but the hairs don’t seem to break easily.  Those are my favorites for playing.  The incredibow has the reputation of being indestructible, or just about…which I do like in case of future lack of means to replace bows…lol…crazy insecurity as far as keeping up with musical needs, I guess.   Anyway, Lisa, let us know what you end up doing and your experience with it.  Some people like the incredibow and even use it for professional gigs.  Hard to tell, like we were sayin’, when you can’t try some of this stuff out before you buy it.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by cricketcricket.
    Participant

John, what is your favorite bow TO play with? I’ve got a handful, and my mind never picks the same one twice it seems lol. Didn’t I see on a post somewhere that you liked your glasser CF bow okay?

Cricket, I think I’ll probably wind up purchasing one whenever our funds get built back up. The fact that they’re pretty indestructible as well as being eye candy is pretty appealing. The guy Brett Dudenhoeffer makes it sound pretty darn good! Of course, he could probably use a really long toothpick and dental floss and sound good. He is definitely a child protege’!  I’ve also saw where the incredibow is easier on arthritic hands, and it seems that arthritis is creeping up on me…

Stay tuned!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I have 12 bows We all go through the struggle of which is best , Three of my bows are wood , One is fiberglass , The other eight are Carbon fiber bows , My favorite is a carbon fiber bow ! Check out this video ? This video helped me find my best bow by elimination !

Participant

Thanks, Steve! I hope to review this when I get home. Hubby and I are at the lake for the last summer fling…

So… Carbon fiber bows and fiberglass bows aren’t the same? I was thinking they were. Much to learn, I have!

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

I had an Incredibow. I agreed to sell it with a fiddle recently. It fit that fiddle amazingly well. I liked mine, and I see lots of them around the bluegrass festivals. Well worth the very low price, in my opinion. You can’t destroy them, no matter how hard you try, and they are better than many $500-$1000 bows.

Participant

You’ve given me cause to take another look, Beardog! 😁that’s sort of what I’m thinking. The price won’t hurt TOOO bad. I keep going back to Brett, that can make anything sound good lol. He plays the fire out of his. Still going strong! Thanks!

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

If you get one, let us know what you think!

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

I bought one a couple of months ago. I really like it; like playing with a feather.

Participant

Welp, for better or worse, I just made the purchase of a high tension; medium carribean bling incredibow! Hopefully, it’ll be here within a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

If it lives up to the hype I have in my imagination, I might even play a tune for y’all! Been trying to work up the nerve to put something in the Lion’s Den…

cricketcricket
    Participant

Hope you like it, Lisa!  Yes, play something in the Lion’s Den…our lion’s don’t bite…it’s safe…lol…would love to hear you play.  Hope the bow arrives to its new home soon.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’d love to hear you play in the Lion’s Den, Lisa. Cricket does very well with her Incredibow. 🙂

Participant

Well, the incredibow has arrived! 15 minutes it seems of rosin’ing the thing and I STILL can’t get it rosin’d enough! I do like the feel of it in my hands. Not liking the sound of it, though. It feels like it doesn’t have enough rosin on it. I gave up and grabbed my old one.

Maybe I’ll like it better tomorrow. If I rosin it a little each day, I should have it ready to play by…. Friday, maybe?

It’s pretty though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.